I know it's a daft idea but......

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
.......having postponed my upgrade to a Gibi 1.5M till next year, I felt a desire to do something this year. My main interest lies in fringe reception, being in the fortunate position of receiving both V & H transponders from Nilesat (even during daytime in fine weather) on a 1M dish.

So, the plan is this; I'm going to buy a Laminas 1200 and mount it on my Technomate motor (this is probably the daft part). I reason that it will be sited in a very sheltered spot which will keep the strain on the dish/motor to a minimum. I'm under no illusion that it could wreck the motor, it's a risk I'd like to take, being a person that needs to try things that others advise me not to do (like moving to France).

What I would like advice on is the LNB. For sure I'll be using my Black Ultra, however I can purchase a Laminas feedhorn for the dish which I was thinking of matching up with an Invacom C120. Is it best to match the feedhorn to the dish or would I be better off trying an Invacom feedhorn?

I'd also like to try an Inverto Black Pro 120 but although it's illustrated on their website I can't locate a dealer with any stock.

Thoughts or suggestions appreciated but lets try and keep the thread to sub saga length :-rofl2:-rofl2

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
The Invacom feedhorn is for PF dishes not offset.

I tried the feedhorn root with my Gibby, a CM feed, and an Invacom quad. Anyway "loadsa money" and the Black Ultra easily out performed it by quite some margin.

Also if you are already at 1 metre a 1.2 is barely going to make any difference except on a few transponders that are already at the "cliff edge".

One other thing, as that dish goes up in size getting it to track the arc properly will be a lot more work. BTW, I hung the Fibo 90 on my diseqc motor for 12 months in a sheltered location and now the backlash on the east side is terrible, maybe nearly 2º.

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
As you know pete I have a 1.2m gibertini on a moteck diseqc motor and although it's in a very sheltered postion it seems to work well (even though i'm not extremely impressed with the dish) I think the most important point is it's in a very sheltered location, I would not dream about it up high or in the open. The Laminas is a lot lighter than the Gibertini as well although that may not matter in a gale.
Now as for the lnb I killed my ultra by being stupid again (doh) which allowed me to try a channel master matched feed horn with a single inverto c120, At first nothing untill i moved the feed horn backwards then the signal shot up, to a simillar level to my beloved ultra even though it was not optimised as I could not move the feed horn back far enough from the dish. I guess the best thing is to try things out untill you find what works best for you (as long as it doesn't cost to much) Looking forward to a review of the Laminas if you get it, I have just found a brand new, unwanted 1.2m channel master dish near me so I am going to look at it tomorrow.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:

I tried the feedhorn root with my Gibby, a CM feed, and an Invacom quad. Anyway "loadsa money" and the Black Ultra easily out performed it by quite some margin.

Also if you are already at 1 metre a 1.2 is barely going to make any difference except on a few transponders that are already at the "cliff edge".

One other thing, as that dish goes up in size getting it to track the arc properly will be a lot more work. BTW, I hung the Fibo 90 on my diseqc motor for 12 months in a sheltered location and now the backlash on the east side is terrible, maybe nearly 2º.

Ok, so it might be best to use a Laminas feedhorn if I want to try a C120. I'd really like to "dabble in the black arts" of feedhorns so I might order one. Anyway, at least I can do some comparison tests with a Black Ultra and let you all know. (No, I'm not butchering a Black Ultra to put a feedhorn on...well not yet) If you hear of that Black Pro C120 on sale anywhere let me know.

It is the 'cliff edge' transponders I'm interested in, at least then I'd have more idea what might be possible with a 1.5M Gibi. I know it will mean a lot more work to get it tracking properly but isn't that part of the reason we are in this hobby? I'm also prepared for the consequences of the dish being too large for the motor, though I think the Fibo is one heavy beast, isn't it?

@ Sandybob; I'll attach a photo to give you an idea how sheltered the dish is/will be. Dish, feedhorn and C120 LNB are less than the 300 Euro's I budgeted (actually the French supplier of all three items is only charging 17.60 Euro's carriage costs). Luckily, last week my mother gave me over 900 Euro's so it's covered (though I think she meant it to go towards my Winter heating costs :-rofl2). Hope the Channel Master is up to specs. Have never seen one for sale here :mad:

Attachments

• It's up!.JPG
    It's up!.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 108

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
is your french up to much as there is allsatcom which deal in channel master stuff not sure how far they are from you to borrow a van and save some dosh. I cant see gibertini dishes on there website though if your still going to get the 1.5 _http://www.allsatcom.com/fr/contacts.php

sonnepete, you've a hole in your roof in that picture

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
the 300 Euro's I budgeted
That's about what the 1.5 costs. And FTE do a 1.5m for about 150€.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
That's about what the 1.5 costs. And FTE do a 1.5m for about 150€.

1.5M Gibi with polar mount from the French supplier I have used before, 369 Euro's. Then there would be the mount and actuator plus the extra cabling and concreting of the mount. As the weather is not as good right now (and I really do need to buy logs for the fire!) I decided to leave it till next Spring and a reviewed budget. Who are FTE?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Huevos said:

Never knew that

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
wod said:
is your french up to much as there is allsatcom which deal in channel master stuff not sure how far they are from you to borrow a van and save some dosh.

sonnepete, you've a hole in your roof in that picture

Thanks Wod. I have Allsat bookmarked but their website is ermm, quite 'unfriendly'. There are no prices, and I'm not sure about contacting them when I have a known quantity in the supplier I've used before. Roubaix is right on the French/Belgian border, by the time I hired a van, paid for the diesel and the tolls there and back, not to mention finding someone to look after the animals during the day, it really wouldn't be worth it, but thanks for the suggestion.

Yes I know about the hole. There's a matching one one the other side lol. Caused by two trees no longer with us. Holes actually overhang the wall edge and don't leak inside (walls a foot and half thick) It's on for repair and new guttering next year. Of course the dishes have priority!

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
Sonnetpete, having thought about this a little, you may find an upgrade from a good 1m to a 1.2m, especially only for a few months, poor value for money. My upgrade didn't improve things much to be honest and you might be better off waiting a little while for a bigger dish that would make a difference. It all really depends on "disposable income" (if any income is disposable!)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
1.5M Gibi with polar mount from the French supplier I have used before, 369 Euro's. Then there would be the mount and actuator plus the extra cabling and concreting of the mount. As the weather is not as good right now (and I really do need to buy logs for the fire!) I decided to leave it till next Spring and a reviewed budget. Who are FTE?
FTE are Spanish I think. 150€ is not right... I was looking at the wholesaler price. Retail is about 230€.

I've got a Gibertini polar mount here. Not sure where I bought it or what it cost but I'm not really impressed by it. No bearings, just brass bushes. I don't like the geometry either. Round the west side of the arc the resolution would be pretty coarse. Oh and don't forget you would need a V-box for anything with a 36 volt motor. My V-box draws about 30 watts when the motor is pulling the dish up so I wouldn't want to go for one of those diseqc actuators when there is only about 4 watts available on the coax.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
just a shame the 1224 is not available any more as that is a good motor and would work no probs with the gibby 1.5.

sonnetpete, as your not doing it until next year then maybe think about a 1.8 instead maybe as will the 1.5 be enough for fring reception which satellites you thinking about ?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
@ Heuvos; Yes, I had realised about the V Box, but forgot to mention it when I summed up my shopping list. Do you not use a Gibertini polar mount on your own 1.5M then? Is there a universal mount you would recommend or is this a roundabout way of advising me to get a different dish? LOL

@ Sandybob; Thanks for your concern! Partly I want to see if the Laminas will work on the motor and it's a relatively easy upgrade I can do now, rather than involving the work the larger dish will entail. Although I haven't got the money to splash out on bigger and bigger dishes, I think I can budget for both of these.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
wod said:
just a shame the 1224 is not available any more as that is a good motor and would work no probs with the gibby 1.5.

sonnetpete, as your not doing it until next year then maybe think about a 1.8 instead maybe as will the 1.5 be enough for fring reception which satellites you thinking about ?

Wod, I had thought about a 1.8. In fact Laminas do one _http://www.2galli.fr/boutique/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=AS1800AZEL&type=30&code_lg=lg_fr&num=21 But with all the other bits and pieces it would be over 1000 Euro's and I really can't justify that. I'm still on the look out for a 1224 motor for the 1.5M but I think it may push my budget too far unless I can unearth one over here second hand.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Do you not use a Gibertini polar mount on your own 1.5M then? Is there a universal mount you would recommend.
I've got a 1224 motor. Resolution is 12 counts per degree and linear throughout the movement. If I was to go for a polar mount I'd keep a look out for one for a CM 1.2m.

Channel Hopper said:
Never knew that
Well that's my interpretation. Specs for that feed are 0.32 - 0.43 f/d.

Edit: just checked Global Invacom site and it says "for Invacom C120 feed LNBs & prime focus antenna".

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
I've got a 1224 motor. Resolution is 12 counts per degree and linear throughout the movement. If I was to go for a polar mount I'd keep a look out for one for a CM 1.2m.

Sorry yes, had forgotten your photos last year when I was installing my Gibi 1M. I take it that an Andrews polar mount fits a Gibi 1.5M dish face. Or can it be modified to do so?

Huevos said:
Edit: just checked Global Invacom site and it says "for Invacom C120 feed LNBs & prime focus antenna".

Pardon the ignorance but does 'C120 feed LNB's' then indicate suitability for offset dishes?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Sorry yes, had forgotten your photos last year when I was installing my Gibi 1M. I take it that an Andrews polar mount fits a Gibi 1.5M dish face. Or can it be modified to do so?
The interface between the CM dish and the CM mount is just four bolts so it would just be a question of either: 1) drilling four holes in the Gibertini backplate and bolting it on directly, or, 2) make a flat steel interface plate between the dish and the mount so no direct modification of the dish or mount is necessary. If I find a CM mount I will probably swap it for the 1224. The weak links with 1224 and the 1.5 Gibi are: 1) the cotter pin through the motor shaft (this should be splined but obviously this design was a lot cheaper) and, 2) the elevation adjuster on the dish, although it does work, flexes quite a bit. It's the same adjuster on a 1.2m and it seems to work fine on them but with the extra weight of a 1.5m I think it could be a bit more heavy duty. Don't get me wrong, I like the dish, for a consumer grade dish it is excellent, but I work on a lot of bigger dishes and the elevation adjuster on those is very sturdy by comparison.

sonnetpete said:
Pardon the ignorance but does 'C120 feed LNB's' then indicate suitability for offset dishes?
The C120 seems to be standard interface for anything in Ku band using a separate feed, not just PF.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Thanks for the explanation. I've been thinking about the Invacom feedhorn and LNB. I'm leaning towards using the Laminas feedhorn (which I'm thinking will be matched to the dish) and an Inverto Black Pro C120. I've found one at

_http://www.satshop24.de/satshop24_s/inverto_single_flange_lnb_idlr_sinf01_cl.html

1t 12.90 Euro's it's a lot cheaper than an Invacom (43 Euro's) so it may be worth a punt. However the part number quoted at satshop24 doesn't match the one on the Inverto site, even though the illustrations are the same. I'll make a decision on what to do at the weekend. Thanks for all your input guys

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
what material is the laminas dish as if its similar to a cm 1.2 then you will break the diseqc motor due to the weight.

if these turnout to be good then I might be interested in one as my dish being high up the cm 1.2 is just a bit heavy to lift.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
wod said:
what material is the laminas dish as if its similar to a cm 1.2 then you will break the diseqc motor due to the weight.

if these turnout to be good then I might be interested in one as my dish being high up the cm 1.2 is just a bit heavy to lift.

It's fibreglass Wod. Weight with AZ/EL mount less than 7Kg. Spec sheet from manufacturers here _http://www.laminas.com.pl/english/ofc-1200en.htm

The 1200G is heavier as it includes heating elements for de icing. I do worry as to it's rigidity because of the low weight. Perhaps you should wait till I get one and have a look at it, as I believe you'd want to put it above your gutter.