I need help! err with my satellite system.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bog standard Silvercrest system with 80cm dish and a Diseqc dish motor and two Sky receiver/dish packages with multiroom.
My Location
Sligo, Ireland
Hello everybody.

This is my first post on this forum so go easy on me if this question has been asked before.

A few days ago (Monday July 7th) I purchased a Silvercrest digital satellite tv system from Lidl, it works a treat, but as I had a motorised analogue system many years ago, which I lost during my divorce, I want to have a multi-satellite system once again.

What would be the best mount to get, a polar mount or an H-H mount?

I'm not too fussy whether I have a motor attached, in fact I don't think my reciever has any provision for attaching a motor, I can go outside myself to move the dish, lock nuts can provide the means to keep it in the one position.

So, Can anyone suggest which is the most suitable mount for my dish which will be mounted on a wall within easy reach for manual moving.

Many many thanks

The Emerald Zapper - Sligo, Ireland.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Silvercrest will drive a DiseqC motor, quite compact and ideal for dishes around 80 - 90cm in size. All you need is a wall mount with a perfectly plumb mast.

See the sticky threads at the top of this section, particularly this one and This one.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
If you are interested in a motor, one of the site advertisers does a good price on the Motek SG2100, It works out at around €72 incl postage.

highdefinitionuk
http://www.satellites.co.uk/index.php?page=sponsors

Thats a good price considering I seen one shop selling them for €125 + PnP

I got myself one and am happy with it. It seems to be a well built piece of kit.
:cool:

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
As you have an 80cm , the Moteck is an excellent motor and will drive up to 1Mtr dishes without a problem. A very popular motor and solid construction.... :D

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bog standard Silvercrest system with 80cm dish and a Diseqc dish motor and two Sky receiver/dish packages with multiroom.
My Location
Sligo, Ireland
A very big thank you to everyone who replied, it seems the more I get into this subject, the more I'm confused.

This DiSEqC business is all new technology, I mean it didn't exist when I last had a satellite system some 10 years ago.

If I were to buy a DiSEqC Motek SG2100 motor (there's one on Ebay for £39.95 plus £19.95 P&P to Ireland) what else would I need to buy? do I need a DiSEqC switch? do I need a polar mount or a H-H mount? please, I was well up on the subject when it was all analogue. Now, like everything else, its all digital and I'm getting old and I don't understand.

Emerald Zapper

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The DiseqC motor will take a standard dish without any additions, look at our forum advertisers to buy the motor, I'm pretty sure they can do a reasonable price and they are established retailers.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The DiSeqC technology actually makes things a lot simpler for the final user, as there is just one cable run to worry about. From receiver to motor, then from motor to LNB. The power supply and control signals are all sent down the same cable that IF signals are received through.

Also, if you want it even simpler, you can select USALS as the front-end, which calculates where to send the dish based on receiver location, once setup on a reference satellite.
:)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
If I were to buy a DiSEqC Motek SG2100 motor (there's one on Ebay for £39.95 plus £19.95 P&P to Ireland) what else would I need to buy? do I need a DiSEqC switch? do I need a polar mount or a H-H mount? please, I was well up on the subject when it was all analogue. Now, like everything else, its all digital and I'm getting old and I don't understand.

DiSEqC 1.2/ USALS (1.3) H-H Motor : For dishes up to 1Mtr, single cable application. Bolts str8 to dish

36V Horizon - Horizon Motor : 4 core cabling + LNB cable, more for exposed locations, heavy duty, bolts on dish

36V Actuator/ jack with Polar mount for larger dishes, 4 core/ LNB cabling, bolts via polar mount

:)

gerryl

Reaction score
don't know where or how yer dish is located, but if ye can get it located facing south (towards Limerck my guess!) striaght on, with clear view of horzion then ye will pick up alot of sats! with the motor...get a good wall bracket to mount yer motor and dish on...as above... all the info is here to walk ye through the install...best luck

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sligo, Ireland
Thank you everyone for helping me, it seems I would have been wasting my money going for a polar mount and going outside everytime I wanted to manually move the dish so I could look at a different satellite.

You've convinced me, I'm going to buy a DiSEqC Motek SG2100 motor. I have the wall mount which I will use and I can put my feet up and let the dish move itself.

Thanks everyone for you're help