i receive signals from some satellites, but not all...strange

bmonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Phoenix Apollo CI Digital Receiver, Invacom 0.3db Universal LNB, 80cm dish, Manhattan HH100 or 120 motor (not sure which one)
My Location
London, UK
Hi people,

When I had my motorised system installed by a professional guy, he scanned some satellites for me using his meter connected to my receiver. He scanned Turksat, Hellas Sat, Hotbird, Astra and a couple of others.

However, after I lost all my channels for some reason, I went and scanned for the satellites again, but not of all them seem to be working anymore, i don't get a signal after a manual scan. I can get Hotbird, Astra, Hellas Sat, Eutelsat W2, but I can't get satellites like Arabsat, Eutelsat Sesat, Optus, Thor, Turksat and some others.

Does anyone know why this is? If I can get Hellas Sat at 39 E, why shouldn't I be able to get Optus at 31.5 E or Eurobird 33 E??? I could get Turksat when the guy scanned it with his meter but I can't get it with a manual scan. I keep turning the dish east but no signal appears for the satellites mentioned.

Cheers for your help.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Optus is inclined at 8.9 degrees so will come and go unless you have inclined orbit tracking. As for 33 east it could be the weather or dish size or location.

You don't have your setup info or your location in your profile so it's hard to tell.

Rgds

L.:)

bmonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Phoenix Apollo CI Digital Receiver, Invacom 0.3db Universal LNB, 80cm dish, Manhattan HH100 or 120 motor (not sure which one)
My Location
London, UK
its an 80 cm dish. My location is London. I'm not worried about 33E, but I want Turksat back because I had that when the guy installed it, so it must be possible for me to get it back. how about using USALS to scan, would that work? thank you.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When scanning for Turksat, start off with the dish at 39E and then go into the motor menu of your receiver (would help if you filled out your profile with all equipment details) and select a transponder on turksat which can be received from London with an 80cm dish, 11996 Vertical 26000 5/6 is one of the best. Then slowly move the dish Eastwards, you should then find Turksat.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Optus is also very low powered - its an ancient old bird that has seen better days. There hasnt been any indication as to why SES swiped it from the Aussies.

It will be exactly 20 years since its launch on Sunday 16/9/2007

bmonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
rolfw said:
When scanning for Turksat, start off with the dish at 39E and then go into the motor menu of your receiver (would help if you filled out your profile with all equipment details) and select a transponder on turksat which can be received from London with an 80cm dish, 11996 Vertical 26000 5/6 is one of the best. Then slowly move the dish Eastwards, you should then find Turksat.

OK, I moved the dish to 39E Hellas Sat. Then from there I selected Turksat. I chose that transponder and scanned eastwards but no signal. Have I done the right thing? Thank you.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
bmonkey said:
OK, I moved the dish to 39E Hellas Sat.
and saw what channel???? before you altered frequency

bmonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Topper said:
and saw what channel???? before you altered frequency

it was RIKSAT/CyprusSat

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
bmonkey said:
i think it was RIKSAT/CyprusSat
Well your profile does not tell much as you have not filled it in apart from UK but
I would be surprised if it was Riksat as is on the S2 beam and unless you have
a gigantic dish I do not see how you could receive it, this is the footprint for S2

The point I am trying to make is that I suspect you are not finding what you want as your starting position is not where you think you are

catmar

Non-Activated User
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Opentech ODS3000Ci Digital Satellite Receiver twin CI,
Diablo Light Cam,
80 cm Prime Focus Dish, HH140ALU Manhattan Motor, GTSAT GT-S40 LNB - NF 0.2db.
My Location
Malta
hello bmonkey I came to this forum a few weeks back looking for guidance and I got it very quickly, but you must give more details, the guys can't help you very much if you don't fill in your equipment profile . Give the guys the details and you can be helped. Hope this helps.

bmonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
catmar said:
hello bmonkey I came to this forum a few weeks back looking for guidance and I got it very quickly, but you must give more details, the guys can't help you very much if you don't fill in your equipment profile . Give the guys the details and you can be helped. Hope this helps.

Hi, my box is a patched Phoenix Apollo, Invacom 0.3db Universal LNB, 80cm dish, Manhattan HH100 or 120 motor (not sure which one). Please let me know if you need more information. My latitude = 51.587 and longitude = -0.223. Thank you.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
As I said before I think you are getting mixed up with where your dish is pointing an 80cm dish could not possibly get a signal from the Riksat channel on S2 beam of 39 East, more like a 2.5 or 3 mtr dish would be required in the UK.

Perhaps we need to try again with this approach starting from 28.2 where we can be certain of what you are starting with, then change frequency to one on Turksat and manually move the dish until you get a signal. If you are not 100% on the arc as this is near the extreme of the arc you may have problems receiving it.

bmonkey

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London, UK
Topper said:
As I said before I think you are getting mixed up with where your dish is pointing an 80cm dish could not possibly get a signal from the Riksat channel on S2 beam of 39 East, more like a 2.5 or 3 mtr dish would be required in the UK.

Perhaps we need to try again with this approach starting from 28.2 where we can be certain of what you are starting with, then change frequency to one on Turksat and manually move the dish until you get a signal. If you are not 100% on the arc as this is near the extreme of the arc you may have problems receiving it.

are you saying that its not possible to receive the RIKSAT channel on Hellas Sat 39E with an 80cm dish in London?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are two versions of RIK Sat, one is on the F1 beam 12524 Vertical 30000 5/6, so should be receivable from the Southern UK fairly easily with an 80cm.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
There are two versions of RIK Sat, one is on the F1 beam 12524 Vertical 30000 5/6, so should be receivable from the Southern UK fairly easily with an 80cm.
Yes my apologies bmonkey
I did not spot that 2nd frequency, still doesn't explain why you cannot find Turksat though