I want a better dish

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
I am struggleing to get certain channels on Sirius tv 1000 ch1
Cinema ch 1 and via sport channels, During a clear day i just get enough signal to clear, but eve,& nite,only 25% on signal bar
(which is not enough to clear) Now without major surgery (a humongus dish) how can i get at least a decent chance with these channels, I have a 120cm C,Master at the mo, and a 0.6 lnb
As any of you Boffs heard of Gregorian Dish,s (do they work,) any advise on a super Lnb, My main problem is that if i shuv a HUGE
dish up(which physically no probs) The Dragons gonna rip me head off and Dump down me neck, (she had a Fit when the C M went up). DAVE.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Gregorian dishes do work but really only up to a point (there advantages are not really apparent on a receive system)

The chances of getting much more with one of these over a decent standard prime focus is negligible

Only way to guarantee reception in the Manchester smog (caused by some dragon no doubt) is to have a larger dish - a nice 1.8m would do well

Paint a mural on it, or bribe the neighbours, then noone would mind, (most complain more about noisy motors when searching for mature content at 3 in the morning )

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
We dont have Smog here Grass Hopper (its always pissing down so smog can`t form) My main problem is Garden only 12ft wide,
i then have a 10ft wide garage built at the end of garden, facing due east Above garage roof (on a 5in pole x 15ft) now the shadow created at the mo is causeing me greif with her (my poor little plants are dieing) If i shuv a 6 footer up itll be like an eclipse,
especially after she blackens me eyes, So theres no super lnb or super dish about 1.4 at the most 1.5, as for the neighbours
**** em. (They dont cook me tea) DAVE

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Channel hopper is pretty much right if you would like to recieve the Sirius without problems then it is a safe route with a high quality 1.8 mtr- channel master or precision etc.

However a 1.5 mtr will make a considable improvement the avarage gain would be approx 2.0 db ( 3db is a doubling (approx) in recieving signal strength) However be also aware that once you past the 1.2, that the price for a 1.5 increases substantially. like wise for the mount etc. new LNB may also be required.

Both the 1.5 mtr Unicorn and the 1.5 mtr precision dishes would make a differance. but the investment is pretty high.

PS May be you could bribe her first with some thing gold this normally always works well

I hope this helps

regards

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Cant the wife take up another hobby, its obviously interfering with your work.

Irte and Precision make very good 1.5m dishes but again the margin of improvement may not justify the cost

Super LNBs are rarely what is mentioned on the box,you really have to make friends with youre local satellite shop and ask them to lend you different models to try at home

Fine tuning your existing dish may also help, ensuring its all true on the polar arc, moving the feed up and down the clamp, even twisting the LNB slightly ?

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
Grass-Hopper, I asked her to take up Hangliding (but she wouldn`t) also got her a job in the army (Bomb dissposal) but she never turned up. Anyway i think i might have found a Dish
( if any good that is ) Its a Gilbertini 1.5 (offset) They claim its better than an 1.8 IRTE, OR A Televees 1.8, There again i claim to have a 10in Pecker,Its gonna set me back £212.00 (not sure about backplate. etc but methinks my 24in actuator should cope with it. Is it any good or is it another piece of shite with obscure marketing. Any1 used one of these or knows of Gilbertini please let me know. DAVE.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I know Gibertini very well as they have a stand opposite ours at the Mediacast show

Their 1.5m has been in production now for about two years, but I have not had a chance to test it. Smaller 1.2m units were however quite good, but I would always substitute the brackets holding the actuator for something a bit more substantial.

Check that the polarmount offered with the antenna does move correctly with the long actuator, quite often offset dishes will only have limited movement once the actuator extends and moves the dish beyond true south.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Gibertini are quite well known and provide good quality - However the claims of exceeding a IRTE 1.8 or a 1.8 Televees I have some doubts- who told you of this ?
The extra surface area, the and also the general standard of manufactuirng for both the IRTE and Televees are similar to that of the Gibertini.

Which jack do you have ? is the standard or heavy duty

You can see your proposed dish at the link here- if you have not already ?

http://www.gibertini.it/en/frameset.asp?p=prodotti.asp

What is the size (diameter) of your current polar mount support ?

The new dish sould provide additionally approx 1.5 DB of very usefull signal

Best Regards

Old Satellite

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
Hi Old sat, At the mo i have a Channel Master 120cm, the pole is
a 3mtr x 4.5 inch pole (concreted in the ground) the adapter from the pole to the mount is my old Irte 1.2 p/focus sleeve which is for a 4.5 inch pipe. I have an heavy duty 24in super-jack
Hiast make the claims about the dish. DAVE.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Your pole should be fine, a 4.5" will take up to a 4mtr approx with the correct amount of concrete and foundation.

Your jack arm should also be fine however do be aware that you do loose on some mounts travel due to the diameter increase.
Is your Jack Arm 2 " in diameter?

If can not bribe here in doors to let you have a bigger dish then your proposal will help - but please note that a 1.5 on some of these transponders for the UK is marginal still.

best regards

Old satellite