I wonder if any one would give me details of a sat finder please

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m dish + an 80cm dish with twin LNBs. 800HD Dreambox.
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Hi everyone, I hope all members had a great Christmas and a good New Year. I also hope it will be a prosperous year for all members. A special hello and thanks to Huevos, I suppose you were wondering what has happened to me.

I know these wishes are a little late but I have and am still am, experiencing problems with my internet connection. I changed ADSL provider before Christmas and although I tried to send some comments, I could not upload them due to the very poor speed which I have.

8Mb is the highest speed I can achieve in my area but for reasons best known to themselves, Bay connect, decided to put me on 1Mb. I asked them to change it to 8Mb before Christmas but still find myself on 1Mb.

well I was away in England for three weeks and I have purchased a new laptop which hopefully, will allow me to relay the signal from my DreamBox to my other TVs. I will load the required programs on to my laptop and test it. I will let you know how it goes.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Why do you need 8 Mbs? What are you doing that needs such a fast connection? Unless you are downloading torrents that connection should be plenty fast enough. My connection is supposed to be 3 Mbs but I'm about 8km from the CO so bandwidth is down to about 1.7 Mbs but that seems like plenty to me for surfing and picking up the mail, etc.

Anyway, not to busy here at the moment so today I finally got round to putting up my T90. :-idea

Attachments

• T90.jpg
    T90.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 26

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Huevos said:
Why do you need 8 Mbs? What are you doing that needs such a fast connection? Unless you are downloading torrents that connection should be plenty fast enough. My connection is supposed to be 3 Mbs but I'm about 8km from the CO so bandwidth is down to about 1.7 Mbs but that seems like plenty to me for surfing and picking up the mail, etc.

Anyway, not to busy here at the moment so today I finally got round to putting up my T90. :-idea

Hi Huevos, Good to hear from you.
My Internet connection has improved since I received their router at the end of last week. The idea of haveing the 8Mb was so that I didn't have to suffer the very slow upload speed that I was getting with the 1Mb before I received their router. It woks out at €2 per month more than the three Mb. I'm still suffering lots of interuptions to the internet connection and I suppose that that has to do with the speed of the connection. If that's not the case please tell me.

I have to say that black dish looks impressive. Is the black part in front of the dish all your LNBs? It also looks an expensive setup!!!

Christine has come up with a lot of little jobs to do this morning (mainly shopping etc), so I won't I won't be sorting my laptop out until this afternoon.

Speak soon.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
1 Mbs or 8 Mbs has nothing to do with your upload speed, it is the download speed. Most providers don't list their upload speed except in the small print as it is pretty unimportant unless you are running a slingcatcher or doing video conferencing. Here most upload connections are in the 300 kbs range whatever the download speed. By the way what do you mean interruptions? Do you mean to the Dreambox? If so it's most likely not the internet connection.
Barry Young said:
It also looks an expensive setup!!!
The dish is around 100€. Whether it works out expensive depends how many LNBs, switches, etc you hang on it. I'm just using it to speed up zapping on strong satellites.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Huevos said:
1 Mbs or 8 Mbs has nothing to do with your upload speed, it is the download speed. Most providers don't list their upload speed except in the small print as it is pretty unimportant unless you are running a slingcatcher or doing video conferencing. Here most upload connections are in the 300 kbs range whatever the download speed. By the way what do you mean interruptions? Do you mean to the Dreambox? If so it's most likely not the internet connection.
The dish is around 100€. Whether it works out expensive depends how many LNBs, switches, etc you hang on it. I'm just using it to speed up zapping on strong satellites.

Hi Huevos,
It's a little confusing for me. Does that mean my download speed will be no faster no matter how fast the connection is? My DreamBox is fine but My internet seems to stop working for different lengths of time. Whilst tying this message, some of the words didn't appear for several seconds after I had written them. Do you think it's the service I'm receiving from the supplier or could it be my computer?

€100 doesn't seem so bad but as you say, it's the amount of LNBs that will cost money and of course your time in fitting them all. So you don't bother with the weaker signals just the strong ones?

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
I forgot to say, I didn't get time to sort out the other TV and the DMbox. I will do it today. I have a HDMI cable. I haven't got my CAT5 cable as yet. The store I usually buy it from gives me 40% on items like that and although they had CAT5 in stock, they didn't have any shielded variety in stock. Hopefully it will be here around midweek. In the meantime, I will try to get it working wirelessly.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Hi Huevos, Success!!!!! I have loaded the programs on to the laptop and everything is working fine. Thanks again for you help.

At the moment I am using wireless but I would think that the Cat 5 cable should now be in stock, so that's my next step. I have only tried the system on the TV in the bedroom, not the old TV upstairs. That one isn't HD, so I am hoping that it will work. I know I wont receive HD but if I can get normal TV, that will be fine.

Do I need to disconect the Sky box or just use it as an extension to the laptop? I haven't even looked if I have a HDMI socket on that TV, so maybe it's a new TV, required. If that's the case I think it will have to wait. Maybe, I will buy Christine a new one for her birthday. lol.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
If you are sending picture from the laptop to a TV you need a VGA socket on the TV, and you will need an audio lead to get the sound to it too.

If the PC is freezing as you type that is nothing to do with the internet connection. The connection is only used from the moment you press the "post" button.

LNBs can be as cheap as 3€ for say an Inverto Eco, and I'm using mostly second-hand ones on my project at the minute anyway, what is expensive though is decent uncommitted switches (at about 50€ each). Also when I'm finished I'd really like a dual or quad at each position, which means doubling up on switches. 16 satellites on quad LNBs would mean 20 switches.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Huevos said:
If you are sending picture from the laptop to a TV you need a VGA socket on the TV, and you will need an audio lead to get the sound to it too.

If the PC is freezing as you type that is nothing to do with the internet connection. The connection is only used from the moment you press the "post" button.

LNBs can be as cheap as 3€ for say an Inverto Eco, and I'm using mostly second-hand ones on my project at the minute anyway, what is expensive though is decent uncommitted switches (at about 50€ each). Also when I'm finished I'd really like a dual or quad at each position, which means doubling up on switches. 16 satellites on quad LNBs would mean 20 switches.

Hi Huevos, I am experiencing difficulty in getting the sound on ITV, the other stations that I have tried, which are only a few, are working with sound although I only have the HDMI cable attached. On the packageing it did state that it gives picture and sound. Do you think that if I got a VGA cable, it would sort that out?

What might be causing the freezing on the PC? Is there anything simple that I could try to rectify it?

20X€50= €1,000 just for the switches!!!! I can't see Christine letting me go for that. I will just haave to wait for the motor to move the dish. Sounds great if you can do it.

I have been for the Cat5 cable today but it's still not in stock. The assistant says it's listed in the computer as in stock but he can't find it. He has ordered some more. Let's hope it comes soon and he can find it.

I changed my C/s on Monday and to put it bluntly, it's not good, pixalating and freezing. I have sent them an email so I will have to wait and see if they will sort it. They did say that I needed a Gemini image, to obtain the best results. The last image was put on by the guy who set up the system for me. He has been helpful but how can I check what image is in the box?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Barry, you don't need a Gemini image (smells like BS to me) and I would avoid one anyway if you are running a clone (do a search for Gemini time bomb). Anyway the latest Gemini package doesn't include softcams.

On the CAT5 I can't see why you need to order one. It is an off the shelf item everywhere.

I didn't realise the PC had an HDMI socket but if it has that is going to give the best quality. I don't know what the ITV sound problem could be. VGA cable would not sort it out; VGA is video only, no sound.

BTW: it's not a grand on switches. 50€ is what a Spaun uncommitted switch costs but you can cascade to 16 LNBs with 1 uncommitted and 4 committed. Committed only cost about a fiver each. Or there is the EMP 16:1 for about 50€.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Barry Young said:
What might be causing the freezing on the PC? Is there anything simple that I could try to rectify it?
Something running in the background. If it is an older PC with not a lot of RAM anything unnecessary running in the background will slow it down. If you press Ctrl+Alt+Del and get the task manager it will show what is running and how much processor and RAM it is using. Things like McAfee seem to be very resource hungry... Or you could have a virus. Also are you using Firefox? If not I would change to it.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Huevos said:
Something running in the background. If it is an older PC with not a lot of RAM anything unnecessary running in the background will slow it down. If you press Ctrl+Alt+Del and get the task manager it will show what is running and how much processor and RAM it is using. Things like McAfee seem to be very resource hungry... Or you could have a virus. Also are you using Firefox? If not I would change to it.

Hi Huevos, last night I tried ITV, through the ordinary Sky menu rather than the HD, It worked perfectly without any glitches whatsoever. The picture was very good so that would do for me. Christine wanted to watch the TV awards show so I didn't try anything else. I will go through a few programs later and see what the sitation is with them. The laptop came with Internet explorer on and I haven't changed it to Firefox, I'll have to do that. I'm not sure but I don't think I have McAfee loaded on to the laptop, I will check.

Regarding the Cat5 cable, Aitana usually have it in stock, we bought lots of it when my son was setting up all them connections in the cupboard in my office. I will wait for them to ring me now, as I have placed a definite order.

It's started to rain here, the first time in a while, still I won't need to water the plants.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Hi guys, I need some help please. I have lost all chanels except BBC 1. I changed my internet supplier and also my c/s supplier. I am only getting 1Mb speed for my ADSL until the guys at Telefonica, the main telephone and internet suppliers in Spain, decide to change my supply to 8Mb as requested. I lost my programs a couple of days ago and put it down to slow internet speed but today I thought that I would check my new CCam. I opened D.C.C.exe. and immediately received a message saying that the Network was not OK. Error 10057 in function send socket not connected. Would you please be good enough to explain what I should do to re-connect. I have pressed the re-connect button but I just receive the same message.

Thanks in advance.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Barry Young said:
I have lost all chanels except BBC 1.
Are you talking about the Sky receiver, the Dreambox, or both? If you have lost FTA public service channels there is a fault somewhere in your satellite system.

Did you change the router or router settings when the new ADSL connection was installed? If so maybe that could be the problem.

If you need help to track down a fault with the satellite system or LAN config I could pop round some time, but I don't want to get involved with c/s.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Huevos said:
Are you talking about the Sky receiver, the Dreambox, or both? If you have lost FTA public service channels there is a fault somewhere in your satellite system.

Did you change the router or router settings when the new ADSL connection was installed? If so maybe that could be the problem.

If you need help to track down a fault with the satellite system or LAN config I could pop round some time, but I don't want to get involved with c/s.

Hi Huevos,It was only the Dreambox. The Router was a new one from Bay Connect. It came preset for wireless. Basically, i have been experiencing problems since then but it did initially work, although as i mentioned before, the picture was pixelating and the Hd chanels were freezing.

Last night, I changed the cable to the one that I bought when you were last here. I did receive a few more chanels but Christine was watching 4+1 and the signal kept dropping off. A bit of a downer when you have to keep getting out of bed to sort it.

Are you good with computers? My Desktop PC isn't working as it should.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Hi Huevos, I have just tried getting the programs on my laptop(not connected to the TV), it's working. It should work when conected to the TV.

I would like you to come and sort it out but it might be best to wait and see if I can get it working withthe TV. I will let you know what happens.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Barry, you are streaming the video signal from the Dreambox over the wireless network to the laptop, is that correct? And is that when you have problems? When you are having these freezes you need to look at the picture on the TV connected directly to the Dreambox and see if it is freezing on there too. If the router is only wireless G that is not really fast enough for HD channels, needs to be wireless N. Also if you haven't got 100% signal strength on the laptop any video stream (HD or otherwise) is going to be very fragile.

Channel 4 +1 is a pretty poor signal at night and it may be the dish needs alignment. What you really need to figure out is if the freezing is caused before the Dreambox or after.

Barry Young

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Costa Blanca Spain.
Huevos said:
Barry, you are streaming the video signal from the Dreambox over the wireless network to the laptop, is that correct? And is that when you have problems? When you are having these freezes you need to look at the picture on the TV connected directly to the Dreambox and see if it is freezing on there too. If the router is only wireless G that is not really fast enough for HD channels, needs to be wireless N. Also if you haven't got 100% signal strength on the laptop any video stream (HD or otherwise) is going to be very fragile.

Channel 4 +1 is a pretty poor signal at night and it may be the dish needs alignment. What you really need to figure out is if the freezing is caused before the Dreambox or after.

Hi Huevos,
The problem was with both set-ups.

Yesterday evening, I checked the Telefonica box that connects to my cable coming into the house. For some reason Telefonica placed the box in my neighbours garden, next to the adjoining wall. His gardeners have cut back some shrubs and in the process, knocked the box off a screw that was holding it up and preventing rain from accessing it. We had very heavy rain last Monday and when I checked the box, it was full of water. I emptied the water and soaked up the residue with tissue. This had the immediate effect of making my signal much stronger and I was able to steam some programs via the laptop.

Today I will open the box and let it dry out completely. Do you think I should snip the wires and re-wire the box? I'm not sure that all the problems will be solved but I will keep you posted.

I know that I need an N router, I looked at some in Carrefour last Saturday but wasn't sure which one to buy. There was one at around €50 and a double N router at around €130 from memory. I don't really want to pay that for a router. Would the one at €50, be sufficient and I take it that it would have to be configured?

I have now re-wired the Telefonica box. Everything seems to be OK but the picture is still freezing and pixelating. When I get time, I will go for the N router. If you have any thoughts on the cheaper model please let me know. The speed was the same but the more expensive one had two at the same speed.