Ideal First Time Set Up?

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Super,SG2100,Raven 90 cm,42east to 30west,36" of CRT,Freeview from Crystal Palace,6.1 surround,Custom PC,Wireless network.
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Firstly I would like to say Hi to you all.
This is my first post on this forum,and as a complete newcomer to satellite telly I would really appreciate some advise.
I recently bought a D.T.T set top box to receive freeview,and frankly I am bored with the programming.
Not wishing to subscribe to Top Up Tv, I thought that it might be time to get myself a satellite set up.
So armed with the latest copy of what satellite magazine I had a look at the various ads and came across an ideal first time set up.

Technomate 5500 ci or Echostar 880 2ci
Gemini 90cm dish with multi lnb bracket
3x 0.6 MTI lnbs
4 way disecq switch.

Is this an ideal first time set up,that is expandable for the future?
what say you to this set up for free to air reception from multiple satellites,with a view to buying cams and cards at a later date.

Many thanks in advance.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I would be more inclined to buy one LNB, lose the multi LNb bracket and DiseqC switch and get your self a DiseqC motor instead, much more potential. :)

erik1

Reaction score
Sounds like an ok set-up to me. I'm also a newbie, but have done alot of research lately. I like the idea of a big dish and multi-LNBs (I have a 110cm dish and 2 LNBs pointed at 1°W and 4°W).

Not to knock RolfW, but I heard motorized dishes can be a pain in the a**. Plus you have to wait while this motor moves the dish to the other SAT, but with the multi-LNB approach you can change channels from one SAT to another with no delay.

I'm not familiar with Technomate, but I'd also reccomend to get a good reciever. Don't try to save a few bucks by getting a cheaper reciever. Humax I've heard is good. I've got a Samsung 9500 which also is decent.

Also maybe get Invacom 0.3dB LNBs if you plan on getting some hard to reach SATs. They are more sensitive to picking up weaker signals then 0.6 or 0.7 dB ones.

Good luck!! :)

G

GotMyBusPass

Hi SAT NOVICE
Welcome to the forum, you'll get plenty of friendly, usefull, helpfull advice here. Very true that which rolfw has posted. I am in the next county to you, Suffolk. I have a Technomate 5000DA receiver, 85cm dish and Moteck Digipower motor and can see satellites from 45east to 58west.
I do not have any cams/cards/etc but the receiver has stored over 1400 fta channels. You will never look back if you go for a motor in the first place, there is so much to see and explore up there along the satellite arc.
Best wishes in your new hobby.
GMBP:)

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Super,SG2100,Raven 90 cm,42east to 30west,36" of CRT,Freeview from Crystal Palace,6.1 surround,Custom PC,Wireless network.
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Thank's for the advice chap's,so you suggest going motorised then.
Any of you have a preference over which receiver to go for.
Echostar 880 2ci or technomate 5500 ci?

Would a 88cm Trax dish be o.k with a Digital gold 0.3 lnb?
Could anyone suggest a good DiSeqC motor for the above mentioned.

Thanks in advance,great forum by the way.:D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Out of the two receivers I would opt for the Technomate, but the Echostar is a nice receiver as well.

My favourite budget dish at the moment is the Raven Gemini 90cm, appears to outperform most others in the same size/price range.

With regard to the motor, my favourite budget motor is the Moteck SG2100, its quiet, quite quick and easy to install.

G

GotMyBusPass

I agree, Gibertini dishes are very good, I use the 85cm one, but the Gemini range are also superb as is the Funke range. All the above up to the 90-100cm sizes, I have not any knowledge of any larger than that.

The above comments are my opinion and may differ from other members experiences.
GMBP:)

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Hi everyone ...!

After doing some research since my last post,and with your help and guidence,I have managed to narrow down the equipment that I will be perchasing very shortly.

Rather than opt for a multi l.n.b set up I have decided to go for the following:-

90cm gemini dish mated to a mti ap8 blueline 0.6 lnb.

Stab 1.2 DiseQc motor.

Technomate 5500 2ci plus receiver.

Do you guys recommend this set up for a first timer not wishing to buy any further equipment for a while ?.

Thanks everyone.
Message to "got my bus pass":- I am unable to read your private message due to the fact that I have not posted enough on the site .

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Good setup, not dissimilar to mine (only got an 80cm motorised) should pull in a lot of interesting stuff.:)

PS. another couple of posts may cure your PM problem. :)

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
Thankyou ROLFW much appreciated mate.
all I have to do now is find a dealer that stocks all the equipment rather than buying bits here and there.
Thanks again.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You may struggle to find all components from one source and would probably benefit price wise from spreading the purchases. Bought a couple of items recently from a German E-tailer at very good prices, even taking into account the shipping.

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
If possible,would you be able to post the web addresses(or hyperlink) of any dealers that you would recommend.
Thankyou in advance.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are loads, the last couple of items i've bought were from http://www.hm-sat.de/index2.html I got a Dreambox 7000-S with 120Gb hard drive for £305 delivered, can't beat that sort of value. :)

russquk

Reaction score
moteck sg2100 motors seem hard to get hold of,but 1 or 2 do appear on ebay.new ones not second hand.and as anyone who has a motor will tell you,it does not take that long to switch between satellites.based on my moteck motor anyway.

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
With everyones help and guidance,and a little research of my own, I have managed to put together a system.

Technomate 5500 D Super
Gemini 90cm Dish
M.T.I 0.6 Blueline lnb
Moteck SG2100 DiseQc Motor.

The bits are on order and I can't wait to set it all up.
Thanks to everyone who replied to my original post.:)

Sat Novice.