My Satellite Setup
sky digital
1m traix
0.3db intersat
technomate 1500c+
technomate 1.2 disqc motor
My Location
51.3559 lat/ -0.0237 long
ok i got my system and i called this installer to help since he had a signal metre...yesterday he found astra then i told him he should find thor...after much probing and what not he found thor not knowing it was hotbird. i tried to tell him and he goes how if u find one satellite evrything will be in place...well i know that to be true somehow for thor but i wonder if with my lon/lat finding astra is the best. well i tried to find thor 1w by myself today and now i can't even get 50% on any signal...the colour does not even change from the all red to blue/yellow even if i swing the dish from one end to the other. i want to know what m doing wrong.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The dish needs to aligned (to get zero position correct and the arc etc) on the sat that is closest to due south for your location. You also need to take magnetic deviation into account when trying to find south.

ghanaman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital
1m traix
0.3db intersat
technomate 1500c+
My Location
mhku said:
The dish needs to aligned (to get zero position correct and the arc etc) on the sat that is closest to due south for your location. You also need to take magnetic deviation into account when trying to find south.

whenu say dish needs to be aligned, what do u mean and how is that than...i have the motor at my latitude and the dish aligned parellel to that with an elevation of 30 degrees...don't know if thats what dish elevation means or if thats how its than...the dish is mounted parrellel to where i have my sky dish mounted.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Please check this thread and if you need further help just ask - all the information you need is here.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=5471

ghanaman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital
1m traix
0.3db intersat
technomate 1500c+
My Location
gameboy said:
Please check this thread and if you need further help just ask - all the information you need is here.

i have gone through the thread...thats what i was using for the installation this morning but i still got nothing....do i have to change the freguency for the lnb in the receiver since it only has 09.750 - 10.600 whereas i beleive it can go as much as 12700...

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi ghanaman,
it sounds more like the problem you have is down to your installer then you. What he should have done was align your dish to zero position, as mhku has stated, in the UK this is usually around Thor 1w, so alinging it to that satellite usually allows you to get the arc. Then, in my case, I had to move the dish, using the motor and a battery, to the satellite that my receiver was pre-programmed to start with, Astra 19E, once I'd done that I could connect the leads to my receiver and use that to move the dish gently adjusting to track the arc. Setting up a motorised dish takes time.
If you haven't started by pointing your dish at that position no amount of tweaking with your receiver will get you the arc, or full signal on 1w. You already seem to have your latitude & longitude but you can confirm it here.
_http://www.heavens-above.com/main.asp?
Unfortunately if the dish is the problem your only choice is to start from the beginning using the basic rules, as can be found in the thread that gameboy pointed you to:
_http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=5471
The 2 most important rules are:
1. Your pole must be 100% Vertical
2. You must start by aligning your dish to due south from your location.

If you are still having problems can you please post back with more details of your motor, and general location.
Best wishes
Mickha

ghanaman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital
1m traix
0.3db intersat
technomate 1500c+
My Location
Mickha said:
Hi ghanaman,
it sounds more like the problem you have is down to your installer then you. What he should have done was align your dish to zero position, as mhku has stated, in the UK this is usually around Thor 1w, so alinging it to that satellite usually allows you to get the arc. Then, in my case, I had to move the dish, using the motor and a battery, to the satellite that my receiver was pre-programmed to start with, Astra 19E, once I'd done that I could connect the leads to my receiver and use that to move the dish gently adjusting to track the arc. Setting up a motorised dish takes time.
If you haven't started by pointing your dish at that position no amount of tweaking with your receiver will get you the arc, or full signal on 1w. You already seem to have your latitude & longitude but you can confirm it here.
_http://www.heavens-above.com/main.asp?
Unfortunately if the dish is the problem your only choice is to start from the beginning using the basic rules, as can be found in the thread that gameboy pointed you to:
_http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=5471
The 2 most important rules are:
1. Your pole must be 100% Vertical
2. You must start by aligning your dish to due south from your location.

If you are still having problems can you please post back with more details of your motor, and general location.
Best wishes
Mickha

thankx for ur reply...i read this http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=46365 and i realise i might be at the wrong end of the house to receive west....my sky dish is at the back of the house so i was thinking since its pointing right....(thats if i stand behind the dish)....i thought west should be on the left unless m wrong...one thing too is when i use my receiver to turn the motor....west goes right and east goes left, i thought it might be a problem with my motor but after reading the above thread m starting to wonder. how will i know my due south from where the sky dish is installed. also i have never seen a shadow in my garden before so does that mean i can put the dish on a pole there? my next question is where will i get a pole for a 1m traix dish...i went to wicks but they had none....sorry about all this questions...i am really interested in intelsat 10-02, telsat 12

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go to one of the local scaffolding companies and they will sell you a pole for a few quid, make sure that it is long enough to have about 1/3 of it buried.

If you stand behind the dish, West is right and East is left, sounds like it has to be moved.

ghanaman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digital
1m traix
0.3db intersat
technomate 1500c+
My Location
rolfw said:
Go to one of the local scaffolding companies and they will sell you a pole for a few quid, make sure that it is long enough to have about 1/3 of it buried.

If you stand behind the dish, West is right and East is left, sounds like it has to be moved.

thankx rolf