I'm losing my mind! Please help

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
Hi all,

First of all i am new to the forum so hello to all.

Second i am tearing my hair out! I have a dm500s and have just got my system setup. I can see all the chans on all the sats. most are scrambled, including chan 4....odd!

I am trying to install some keys. I am VERY new to this and i believe i need to install an EMU or something first? I suppose the emu is like a program and you insert the keys like data.

I have the Gemini image and am lost! i see so many things like wallbangers and newcamd etc i dont know what i need to install!!

PS i have the lot on my router but i have no internet there yet, new house. so card share is out the question. I have installed satan key bundle but nothing else so it isnt working (think i may need to install an EMU??)
I am on MSN if anyone feels like answering some basic questions that i have. if anyone can either tell me what to do next or send me a full image with all keys etc included to get me started i would be over the moon!!
EDIT*

ok i have now installed the gbox utility but again no joy.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum chavo

Well you seem to be all at sea there. Firstly unless you have read the dreambox idiot guide then you are on a loser before you start. Second this is a self help forum so unless you help yourself have a try and then post a question you will be unlike to become knowledgable yourself. Channel 4 is FTV and requires a freeview card from sky there are tons of threads about it like this one but you have to read them nobody has time to teach on a one to one basis but everybody will help if you get stuck following the tons of information available

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu uno, VU Duo2, sky dish, 2 zone 2 dishes for 19.2 and 23.5. Satlink meter, rover STCeu meter. Tripod with a dish for messing around.
My Location
North West England
Thanks topper i read the idiots guide before i started but i am not very familiar with all the terminology. Since the last post i have installed the Gbox addon but i cant seem to start it. i cant actually see it! when i open it to start it i try to navigate to where i installed it but it doesnt seem to be there! oh well i will keep pondering on.

thanks anyway

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well I would have chipped in with a few snippets of help but I have never had a DB myself so am completely unfamiliar with the set up of them sorry

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try installing the latest MGCamD3 Emu, put it in var/temp as a targz (or whichever flavour of file is required for Gemini) and then go into the manual installation menu and install it, then Satan's bundle should work.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
Thanks for that advice. i have the gbox in there now and it seems to be running fine it says when i boot the box "starting gbox" etc but the chans are still scrambled!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Use the one I've mentioned above, I think the latest is 1.25. :)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
chavo said:
Thanks topper i read the idiots guide before i started but i am not very familiar with all the terminology

I find this hard to believe...in any case do what you feel you have to - but I would suggest you follow the advice given you in the guide. This means installing a cam + camconfig. The cam (or emu) that is most used is mgcamd or evocamd, all available through the blue button download if you got internet connection. Keys from Satan are quite ok.:)

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Can I put my two cents in and say that for unscrambling a Sky card, the best cam is CCcam, which will both decrypt the signal and keep the card alive. No keys needed.

When I was a complete novice (only 6 months ago!) I found CCcam easy to install and start running, as for Sky cards it needs no extra configuration.

Gbox tends to be used for a completely different purpose, which we're not allowed to talk about here. O-no

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
There are so many programs! I managed to set up the whole thing up (motorised sat) using just tutorials which i found to be quite difficult, i have installed MGCamd putting all the files in the right folders but when i press the blue button it doesnt seem to be there. I have formatted the dreambox as it was getting quite full of my addons! i will keep plugging through.

Thanks

Billnot do you use MSN? if so do you fancy lending me a hand?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
I had another look at your first post - are you still without Internet connection?? If so, then the blue button won't work for downloading the cams and cam config - which is the easiest option for beginners. I am pretty sure that with internet connection you'd be up and running in 5 minutes.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
I think so to but I am very limited on options at the moment, Virgin have stuffed me over and bt want a small fortune to connect me

BT want 125 quid to put a line in my house. I have no choice but to take it, but i will tell you what i will switch it out of principal to talk talk or sky and take the full package in order to make sure BT dont get another penny from me!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
chavo said:
I have the Gemini image and am lost! i see so many things like wallbangers and newcamd etc i dont know what i need to install!!

Which version are you using ?
Latest is Gemini 4.0, downloadable from the addons menu > look for updates or something like that.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
billnot said:
Gbox tends to be used for a completely different purpose, which we're not allowed to talk about here. O-no

That isn't actually correct, it is only the advertising of card shares and soliciting of card shares which is banned, not discussion of the technical details.

Having said that, one very often leads to the other and that's where the problem lies.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Does anyone know where chavo can download a tarball for any of the cams for a manual installation? I think this is the only thing that will get him going at this stage.
Normal manual installation of cams can be a bit difficult for beginners...

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
Does anyone know where chavo can download a tarball for any of the cams for a manual installation? I think this is the only thing that will get him going at this stage.
Normal manual installation of cams can be a bit difficult for beginners...

Best thing to do is to connect to the internet with a router and then download and install automatically using the blue button > addon
I had a rough time installing manually until I hooked up the router.

Internet is a must, at least for few minutes when all necessary s/w is downloaded !!!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, but at the moment he just does not have it...so lets try to sort him out WITHOUT internet first.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
If i plug my laptop in to the router and hang it out the window, with a long enough ethernet cable i may be able to pick up net. Could i then change the gateway on the dreambox to the ip of my laptop? would that work? OR using a crossover cable for the dbox again with the latop on the wifi? (wifi is a hotspot by the way)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
Yes, but at the moment he just does not have it...so lets try to sort him out WITHOUT internet first.

What I can't understand is how can he download files if he doesn't have internet ?
Or even read this thread ?

OK. No internet. In that case a friend or a member of this forum can download the files, copy all the *.tar.gz files to a CD-ROM, send it by mail to his address, copy to laptop, then upload using FTP to the /tmp subfolder > manual install.
I personally would not wait that long.

chavo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West England
HB13DISH said:
What I can't understand is how can he download files if he doesn't have internet ?
Or even read this thread ?

OK. No internet. In that case a friend or a member of this forum can download the files, copy all the *.tar.gz files to a CD-ROM, send it by mail to his address, copy to laptop, then upload using FTP to the /tmp subfolder > manual install.
I personally would not wait that long.

Ha ha sorry mate, I am on the laptop cllinging on to next doors wireless.

You say about the tar.gz files to the /tmp subfolder. i followed the instructions on _http://www.dreamboxworld.com/dbw/main.htm and it says to insert files in to certain folders for installing MGcamD, which i did.

When you download it there is no tar.gz "ball" as i believe it is called!

If someone has a 500 image that is up to date with all keys etc installed i would be delighted if i could have it uploaded for me to zap over to my 500.