I'm really dissapointed...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Channel Hopper said:
Manufacturers can advertise exactly what they like unfortunately (E and OE etc.), the rules only come in if the product itself has the markings stamped on them.

Councils on the other hand will be interested if your 80cm dish was slightly more than 90cm in one direction, and would ask you to take it down.

Offset dish manufacturers use wider than high to improve adjacent satellite rejection, as 2 degree spacing for signal when using smaller dish sizes is no longer guaranteed.

Bit of a swizz really, and I'm sure Trade Descriptions would like to have a nosy into it...

As for the Council, don't forget that you can have a 1M dish and a 60CM dish, so I'd be ok if I had my 2 mesh dishes (80 & 60) out on the wall of a house, and if they complain, I'd point them to their own legislations... :D

So smaller round dishes can receive other "nearby" satellites if they were in the right place then? :confused

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
it's like the metric or imperial thing the US laughs at us and rightly so, it's illegal to buy a quarter of sweets yet you can walk into a pub and buy a pint of beer !
That can't be right can it?
Rover made a minimetro in about 1981 with 135 x 70 x 12... 135 mm across 70mm x 12 inches and a few years later changed to fully metric and of course the price went up but all other manufacturers still sell them in both metric and imperial, we should use one or the other....
My 11 yr old son is doing fractions at school ! how mad is that ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
mrminibus said:
it's like the metric or imperial thing the US laughs at us and rightly so, it's illegal to buy a quarter of sweets yet you can walk into a pub and buy a pint of beer !
That can't be right can it?
Got to agree with you about the godawful mix and match of units in this country.

However, even the French aren't above this. You can still ask for a 'livre' (pound) of things and will get served with half a kilo of whatever you want. And don't forget that pint came over from France with the Normans in 1066.

mrminibus said:
Rover made a minimetro in about 1981 with 135 x 70 x 12... 135 mm across 70mm x 12 inches and a few years later changed to fully metric and of course the price went up but all other manufacturers still sell them in both metric and imperial, we should use one or the other....
As most wheels are still imperial units in diameter it doesn't make sense to change them into metric units as they wouldn't be precise numbers (integers to be correct). The width of the tyre is, by convention, expressed in imperial units if it's a cross-ply tyre and metric if it's radial. The 70 isn't a measurement but a ratio indicating that the tyre is 70% high as it is wide. Lower profile tyres can be 65, 60 50 or even lower if you have a supercar.

Metric diameter wheels and tyres are a fairly new concept and specifically designed so as NOT to be interchangeable wih imperial ones usually because of some special safety feature or other, such as run flat.

mrminibus said:
My 11 yr old son is doing fractions at school ! how mad is that ?
Fractions are still valid. What would you replace them with?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
PaulR said:

Decimals.... :rolleyes:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
PaulR said:

Surds, that'll teach them:eek:

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I hated fractions when I was younger. It took my mother, not the teacher, to teach them to me. I was a quiet boy back then (and in a shit maths class full of yobs).

Excellent tutorial here for those who wish to induce an anxiety attack once more [read: drag up dark memories of an awful middle school education]. Sorry that was just a personal thought, LOL ;-))

On Topic: 2CV, the landlord didn't pop round to view your ever-increasing antenna collection - then decide to sell, did he ??

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BarMoo said:
On Topic: 2CV, the landlord didn't pop round to view your ever-increasing antenna collection - then decide to sell, did he ??

No, the agents for the landlord visited, as for what they told him, I don't know, and I had my house tidy, and I mean tidy, I didn't get time to vacuum my bedroom carpet so they thought it was stained (it was just foam dust from my old 2CV back seat) and moaned about it. As for my dishes, the unused dishes were carefully hidden away leaving my 70cm Lidl dish in the living room window...

But they inspected the place after I got the notice that the landlord "required posession" of the house (and I only found out on the 7th that they were selling the house!!! 'O'-red )...

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
well when I was buying tyres for the metric metro I went down the scrapyard and bought a set of 12" imperial rims to buy tyres for so metric isnt really new to car tyres its just stupid as the imperial tyres cost much less.
Unless you drive a sports car I can't see the point in buying tyres less than a 70 and thats metric mm tyre as they are just dearer.
I have owned a renault trafic with stupid sized tyres which because a know a little ( I spent many years working for Charlie Brrowns ) I swaped the stupid size for standard sized (transit) cheap good quality tyres.
My wife owns a Vauxhall Agila (rebadged Suzuki Wagon R) with 135/60/14's which cost £50 each I replaced them with 155/70/14 a much cheaper tyre which looks better and cost half the price, where is the sense in fitting expensive stupid sized tyres like metric, lets either be one or the other... anyway anyone fancy 1.76 litres of beer down the pub :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I haven't got a clue about all these tyres and stuff, the only ones I know are 125/15 and 135/15, or 2CV, Ami and Dyane (and their derivative vans and estates etc) tyres... :D

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Funny, my last rented house in East Ham ended the same way. I asked the management co. what the house would cost to buy - they said GBP87,000 [read: WTF cheap].

That was only six years ago. If I had had the money I would have bought, but my lacky boyfriend was on the dole so that didn't go anywhere. I still kick myself for that lost opportunity (not that I have a right to - since I didn't have the cash, blah blah).

Hope you find something south-facing 2CV ;-)))

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
BarMoo said:
Funny, my last rented house in East Ham ended the same way. I asked the management co. what the house would cost to buy - they said GBP87,000 [read: WTF cheap].

That was only six years ago. If I had had the money I would have bought, but my lacky boyfriend was on the dole so that didn't go anywhere. I still kick myself for that lost opportunity (not that I have a right to - since I didn't have the cash, blah blah).

Hope you find something south-facing 2CV ;-)))

My mum's partner's thinking of asking the agency for the price, and if it's adecent price he may get a mortgage on it so I don't have to move away, and he can get some extra income in, and I can put my dishes up where I like!!! :D

But that's a maybe, so I still have to look about for other houses, which are few & far between round here at the moment... :(

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
mrminibus said:
anyway anyone fancy 1.76 litres of beer down the pub :)

Only if its real ale and you supply the straws.

I do recall Ford bringing out metric tyres for their larger (Granada ?) models many years ago, and Saab had a metric option for their 900 series in the late 80's - 390mm instead of 15 inchers . surely all this hasn't just happened recently ?

Anyone know why it's not possible to have run flat on imperials ?

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
Channel Hopper said:
I do recall Ford bringing out metric tyres for their larger (Granada ?) models many years ago, and Saab had a metric option for their 900 series in the late 80's - 390mm instead of 15 inchers . surely all this hasn't just happened recently ?

Anyone know why it's not possible to have run flat on imperials ?

'Runflat' tyres need specialy shaped rims and the metric sizing was a way of making sure that they were only used correctly. If runflat's were available in std. imp. sizes there would no doubt be lots of innapropriate use, and lots of litigation following the resulting accidents. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I never understand these "run flat" tyres, cos why would you drive on a dangerously flat tyre if you have one stowed away in the boot??? :confused

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
I never understand these "run flat" tyres, cos why would you drive on a dangerously flat tyre if you have one stowed away in the boot??? :confused

Size 10's ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Size 10's ?

Er, no, the car boot...

Unless you have a Safari bonnet on your car, then the spare tyre's on the bonnet.... :p