I'm really dissapointed...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I'm moving house soon (to where, I don't know yet), so I've been dismantling my dishes, and I put my 2 80cm (or so I thought) dishes together, but my Lidl dish looks, scuse the pun, Lidl!!! there was a ~10cm gap between the rims of the two, so I got out my cheapo 1M tape measure and it turns out that my Lidl "80cm" dish is actually only 70cm (72.4 to be precise)!!!! It's height is 80cm, but it's width isn't!!! :eek:

I feel like going to Comag and telling them how to measure the dishes and compensating me for the money I paid on what I was lead to believe was an 80cm dish!!!! 'O'-red

So, officially, my dishes now go (from big to little in cm) 80, 70, 60, 43 x2, 40something (porty), 35, and my 2 Squarials (Attisat and BS:cool:...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive seen ebay sellers flogging zone 2 sky dishes as 80's coz they measure across the wide bit!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Ive seen ebay sellers flogging zone 2 sky dishes as 80's coz they measure across the wide bit!

Sooooo, with minidishes you measure the height of the dish??? :confused

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
do i count right 9 dishes no wonder you keep going on about a dish farm :-rofl2 squarials:-rofl2 i hear the price off scrap has gone up (invest in a motor its much easier)
how many receivers do you own ? and how many can you watch at once ? :-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
wolfav said:
do i count right 9 dishes no wonder you keep going on about a dish farm :-rofl2 squarials:-rofl2 i hear the price off scrap has gone up (invest in a motor its much easier)
how many receivers do you own ? and how many can you watch at once ? :-rofl2

7 dishes, 2 squarials... :p

7 boxes, that's PortyII, SilverCrest SL65, Nokia 9800S, Pace MSS300 & Matsui OP10 (never actually used it) Analogue, 2 (working) sky boxes (if you can call them receivers!!!) Thomson DSI4212 and Grundig GDS200...

And at the moment, I can watch none of them as they're in boxes or stuffed away in cupboard, and I have no dishes up at all.... :D

If I could have a T&K setup with a motor, I'd have one, but I can't so I'm making do.... :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes - zone 1 43's are about 60 across the width

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I thought "Lidl" was German for "cheap $hit"?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Yes - zone 1 43's are about 60 across the width

You learn something new everyday.... :-rofl2

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i know as my triax is like 85cm across and 95 cm or something silly vetical size

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
it must be an imperial 80cm's or maybe even 800mm ...:)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mrminibus said:
it must be an imperial 80cm's or maybe even 800mm ...:)

errrm, 800mm is 80cm, or 0.8m.... :p

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
errrm, 800mm is 80cm, or 0.8m.... :p

you know that and I know that but maybe the Germans don't....the sl 65 I bought from lidle is crap so its only fair the dish's are too :-rofl2

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
mrminibus said:
you know that and I know that but maybe the Germans don't....the sl 65 I bought from lidle is crap so its only fair the dish's are too :-rofl2

My trusty little SL65 bought as a complete Lidl kit is great. Also bought a s/h one off Fleabay to use in the caravan. I use both the dishes at home. One for 19e and the other for 28e and have no problems at all.:)

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
ok for freeview I flashed it once and it did tp$ for a while but god it was hard work to flash, I bought a jtag to open up even more but nobody could tell me how to use it so I just use cams now its much easier....

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
What about TVs they measure them on the diagonal - how crazy is that?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
the title of this thread is:-
I'm really dissapointed (copied not my spelling)
So as yet you have not said what is causing the disappointment or is it the fact that manufacturers do not tell the truth.

Something completely OT here I spent all day Wednesday with my 80 year old mum and as they do at that age she chatted my head off but during her 'ramblings' she said to me that some people are not capable of putting down roots does that include yourself 2cvbloke? Are you moving far away?

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
gameboy said:
What about TVs they measure them on the diagonal - how crazy is that?

Some TFT televisions are measured horizontally. But not all which makes things even more confusing.
My Samsung 15" TFT is just that, 15" wide screen. My cheapo Tesco special 15" TFT is easured diagonally.

Don't you just love the manufacturers:-rofl2

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Provided a measurement is consistent the "why" is irrelevant (although interesting to some ;) ). e.g. on the diagonal or not. Is it to avoid aspect ratio issues 16:9, 4:3? Who knows... (without googling).

We all know what 32" means. You buy a 32" TV you know how big it'll be.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
the title of this thread is:-
I'm really dissapointed (copied not my spelling)
So as yet you have not said what is causing the disappointment or is it the fact that manufacturers do not tell the truth.

Something completely OT here I spent all day Wednesday with my 80 year old mum and as they do at that age she chatted my head off but during her 'ramblings' she said to me that some people are not capable of putting down roots does that include yourself 2cvbloke? Are you moving far away?

Ok, I spelled Disappointed wrong...
But what dissapointed me was I bought something advertised as 80cm, but now I find out that it isn't the stated size and is actually only 70cm, it's like being short-changed when you only get a fiver when you're supposed to get a tenner. But anyway, I bought it over a year ago, it works, and I've resprayed it, and I have an actual 80cm dish instead...

As for me moving house, well, I want to stay in the same town (or move to the nearby village of Foulridge (Foul is pronounced Foal, as in a young horse) cos I've always wanted to live there), the only reason I'm moving is because the landlord is selling my house, so I have to be out asap, but as yet I haven't found a reasonably priced & sized house in a decent area of this town... :(

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Manufacturers can advertise exactly what they like unfortunately (E and OE etc.), the rules only come in if the product itself has the markings stamped on them.

Councils on the other hand will be interested if your 80cm dish was slightly more than 90cm in one direction, and would ask you to take it down.

Offset dish manufacturers use wider than high to improve adjacent satellite rejection, as 2 degree spacing for signal when using smaller dish sizes is no longer guaranteed.