I'm sorry if this is a stupid question ...

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Apologies right from the start if this sounds stupid, but I'm learning about this satellite stuff.

Is p*tching a box illegal? I only ask because I quite fancy increasing the number of channels I have and would buy a cheap box to fiddle with if I felt comfortable with it.

Hope this question doesn't irritate.
Regards.

J

Jeff_19341

Hi

O/T is your set up working AOK now, did you manage to mend the broken LNB holder?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Technically, in the uk, I think viewing encrypted pay tv channels is illegal, However as long as you dont do anything stupid like allowing 30 mates round on a Saturday afternoon to watch the footy, or taping the h/c adult movies and selling them down the market, no-one is going to say anything.

Be aware the situation of whats available changes from week to week, and your expensive toy could just turn into a fta receiver next week if the plug gets pulled on the compromised encryptions.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Yeah. I screwed the LNB into position so much that the plastic clamp actually snapped. No probs though as I used the old black tape to mend it. I'm so chuffed that it all works so well.
I originally set up the system so that my wife and I could watch Portuguese TV. I was never worried about Hispasat/TV Cabo etc, just simple stuff. Have now realised that on Hotbird I can receive SIC International and more on Astra, but only with the box patched.

I'm rather reluctant to mess up my kit especially as I've amazed myself by setting it up on my own!

What's your view?

J

Jeff_19341

The Technomate 1500 something or other seems to be the one to get nowadays, I think that a super model has been produced and is now available. Personally not into that kind of thing but reading threads on other boards the receiver seems to be the one to get. AS Analoguesat stated, encriptions can change and you are not assured of a patch/hack straight away. I think that you can get a patched Technomate on E**y for about a hundred squid but do some research first before you commit yourself.

Cheers & glad that you are now getting mega loads of channels of of 19 & 13 east.

Off to set up a Durabrand DTT box for a neighbour that they have just bought from ASDA, do not expect much joy though. People will not take notice that they need a new aerial here. I expect my next job will be to put up a Triax Unix100 antenna for them , that will be the 6th one that I have put up in this close.