I'm sure you've all answered this before but ....

S

Slim

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 27-Jun-02 AT 01:00 PM (GMT)]If I phoned sky up for a new viewing card would be it be a 'virgin' card that could be married to any box ?.

If it would be a virgin card but could only be married to a virgin box, is there anyway to re-set the box back to factory defaults ?

I dont mind paying sky for a card, but I do have a real problem with hainving to have 2 subs when I can only watch one TV at a time.

Ta

Slim

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry Slim, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here. Do you already have a viewing card? If so, why do you want a new one?

Are you looking for a card for a second digibox? If you are, then Sky have an offer whereby the second card can be obtained for £12/month, subject to certain conditions.

Any card can be married to any box, but if you are looking to cancel out any PPV records, then Sky may be slightly suspicious when a replacement card is requested to go into a different box.

Rolf

S

Slim

Sorry m8, didnt make myself clear.

I want to hook up another sky decoder in the bedroom, but I have a real problem with paying sky another 12 quid. Why should I I think nearly 40 quid a month is enough as it is.

So I know that once a card is first put in a digibox the card is 'married' to the that box so you cant use it on other boxes.
So bearing this in mind 2 questions really.

1) If I got a new/replacement card would it work/marry itself to my new box in the bedroom.
2) Or if the card is a 'virgin' card and the box isnt then is there a way to reset the box to it's factory defaults ?

Thx

Slim

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Why do you want to reset the digibox? Why do you want a replacement card? Have you lost the one it is to replace? Is the second card to be a ftv card?, if so it will work in any box,once authorised in that box,and also get some chanels in any other box,but,really i dont understand what you are tring to do......................

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hmmm, I think I may ahve the gist of what you're trying Slim. If I've got this right, you are asking whether getting a replacement card, which hasn't been married to a box will work on both of your boxes. A card will not work to it's full potential, without being married to a box (an old one, or new one, it doesn't matter which) there is no advantage to factory resetting the box.

Most cards will work on a non-married receiver for some of the pay channels, but not all, you may want to try it out to see which do.

Rolf

S

Slim

Thx rolf.

But will a new card from SKY marry itself to any box when I first put it in ?.

Therefore, ghetting a new card from sky means that I can use it in a new box in a different room (while my existing card will stay in the existing box in the living room)

Thx

Slim

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No Slim, a new card will just sit in the box in it's current state, it will only be married and activated if you phone Sky. The old card, the one that the dog has eaten :) will be switched off by Sky, so I can't see any advantage to be gained, particularly as the new card will be useless until activated.

Rolf

S

Slim

Ahh, right.

OK. So taking this full circle here.

If I cant get a new card (or they will kill my supposedly eaten by the dog card), then is there anyway of programming/setting a second digibox so it looks/acts like my main digibox, and copy my working card so it's effectivly 2 identical set-ups.

Thx, rolf , you've been a great help.

Slim

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
@slim.If you only want to watch one TV at a time why dont you just buy a tv link ?
Methos.