iMac needs updating; any help very much appreciated

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I have an iMac with an operating system 9.1. It's still a very good computer but hopeless when using the Internet.

Because it's using 9.1, around 70% of Internet features such as real player updates, browsers etc, cannot be installed. Basically all it can be used for is checking emails...

How can I update it? Thanks for any help in advance. I think this is gonna be a long running saga... :(

:D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
UPDATE:

Right, this is how far I have got. I found out to update my mac to Tiger (latest operating sytem) it has to be done in stages. IE, from mac os 9.1 to 9.2.1 and 9.2.2.

Problem is when I try to update from 9.1 to 9.2, the downloaded software says it cannot install over 9.1 so a CLEAN INSTALLATION must be made, this means making another folder to put the old 9.1 in and then installing the 9.2.

PROBLEM IS, THERE IS NO OPTION FOR A CLEAN INSTALLATION ON THE SOFTWARE interface. :mad: All the help graphics I have seen show a system clean up option. Mine doesn't have one. I won't give up. :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The wikipedia stub for Tiger suggests it may be too much for the iMac, and other sources mention firwire support is a must, which your iMac may not have.

Have you considered one of the earlier (Panther/Jaguar) releases ?

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.4

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
IT'S ON, I HAVE OS 10.4 TIGER. :D :D :D

I was determined to crack it. To cut five hours down to a few paragraphs this is what I did.

First, could I hell get the update 9.2 on the mac. Just wouldn't take it. I also couldn't install Tiger onto OS 9.1 because it was too out of date. The Tiger I have is on four discs in DMG format. 9.1 can't read DMG. )(-red

So, I decided to throw all my buns in the oven! ;)

I reinstalled 9.1, then halfway through pulled the plug out. ;) Restarted, and nothing but a flashing question mark. Tried to install 9.2 but it wouldn't accept it.

The reason why I pulled the plug out, because I thought if there was no 9.1, then I could then install 9.2. But the mac wouldn't have it.

I then re-entered disc 1 of OS 10.4 Tiger in DMG format...waited...and waited.

YES! :D Success. There was no 9.1 to stop the DMG disc working. ;) All four discs later, I now have a spanking new Mac....Power G4.

Brilliant and such a difference. The difference is just unbelievable. You wouldn't think it was the same Imac. ;)

So it just goes to show, keep trying. :D