Impossible?

Reaction score
I currently got intersted in satellites and dishes recently for some odd reason, but anyways, I need some insight and advice on if I should go ahead and plunge into this orbital broadcasting world. I currently have Regular Cable and Cable Broadband and I am also thinking of getting some sort of Digital Cable maybe in two or three rooms and then splitting the regular cable to all other rooms. I live in the Northeastern part of Ohio in the mid-eastern U.S.A. I am basically new to all of the satellite stuff. I don't really want to order programming with my dish. I really just want to experiment with something new and get some channels that I like. My property is mainly surrounded by trees and the space between the side of my house and the trees is very little. I also have a picture, notice that the distance between the tree house and the fire pit is much more than how I drew it, the same goes for the house and the end of the backyard. Also, the green stuff to the left of my house are just bushes, but I have my neighbor's property starts on the other side. On the other side of my house, my neighbor is much farther away, but the property is owned by a Plant Nursery. What I basically want to know is if this is really worth it and if so, what size and kind of dish should I get with minimal assets.
>Thanks for any help.

[EDIT] These are my coordinates for the town I live in. (41.7710N,81.0500W) :( I think that's what I should have posted, sorry, noob here.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may want to post your co-ordinates, you can get them from www.heavens-above.com Oops sorry, missed the compass bearing in the middle. :rolleyes:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
South (between SE and SW) is where all the important satellites are

Looks like the bushes will be little problem, and may offer some camouflage between what you fit ( hopefully one of the dishes that takes the sun away from the house) and the neighbours.

Satellites above the US require two bands , C and Ku, and so a solid dish is preferable to a mesh. www.Lyngsat.com has all the informnation , look for satellites in the America / Pacific region in yellow (the clear ones) and you should be fine.

Be open in your required choice of channels when you reply, as a lot of channels are affiliated with the broadcasters and many will be encrypted - subscription - monthly payments - whether it be sports, fun, family, late night or whatever, and the rest here will reply as best we can

Bigger dish(antenna) is usually best

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
That firepit looks remarkably like a flying saucer to me :)

All you need is a clear view of the satellite, it does not matter if the dish is on the ground or on a roof so long as you can get a clear view of the sat you want, i believe there are meters you can buy that can detect this for you. Not sure about those trees blocking anything but a meter would help in this situation though i dont think they are cheap and are more for the professional market, is that correct?

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
South (between SE and SW) is where all the important satellites are

Looks like the bushes will be little problem, and may offer some camouflage between what you fit ( hopefully one of the dishes that takes the sun away from the house) and the neighbours.

Satellites above the US require two bands , C and Ku, and so a solid dish is preferable to a mesh. www.Lyngsat.com has all the informnation , look for satellites in the America / Pacific region in yellow (the clear ones) and you should be fine.

Be open in your required choice of channels when you reply, as a lot of channels are affiliated with the broadcasters and many will be encrypted - subscription - monthly payments - whether it be sports, fun, family, late night or whatever, and the rest here will reply as best we can

Bigger dish(antenna) is usually best
I wouldn't be able to put the dish on either side of my house, especially the southern end, because there is basically not enough space to put it there.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
So where do you expect to put it then, in the neighbours yard ?

Reaction score
I don't know what size dish I should get and kind. If I get an 8 ft. or more one, it would be impossible to put on the southern side of my house. I have seen 4 ft. ones but I've also heard that those would have terrible reception. I wouldn't mind putting it somewhere in my back yard, but still trees would always get in the way, especially in the summer when the leaves come out. How much of a nuisance would some trees in the way pose for my reception?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
◙Olly_OrbitΘ said:
How much of a nuisance would some trees in the way pose for my reception?
Lots, its really not a good idea. You are going to have to get more inventive in the final location