In the analogue days why were most sats at western positions?

norm360

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500S, TD88 Triax Dish + NH210 Motor
My Location
UK
-http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/dbsfreqs.html

If you look at this table most of the orbital positons were in the western skies, Marco Polo being at 31w (the first UK satellite). Why was this? Why did they since change to eastern positions?

I thought the optimum position for any satellite relative to a country would be at the highest part of the southern sky. So the UK for example would be 5w to 1E.

And what dictated Sky moving to the 28.2e position, is there a technical reason for this?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
norm360 said:
-http://www.selkirkshire.demon.co.uk/analoguesat/dbsfreqs.html

If you look at this table most of the orbital positons were in the western skies, Marco Polo being at 31w (the first UK satellite). Why was this? Why did they since change to eastern positions?

I thought the optimum position for any satellite relative to a country would be at the highest part of the southern sky. So the UK for example would be 5w to 1E.

And what dictated Sky moving to the 28.2e position, is there a technical reason for this?

Ah I think I might know who ran that site :-rofl2

Well Sky moved to 28E as there simply wasnt sufficient capacity at 19E - which was more than half filled with German analogues :D

The DBS concept was a miserable failure because the high power satellites could only transmit a handful of channels - if you look at Marco Polo 1 & 2 it took TWO satellites to transmit FIVE channels at full power.

Most of those DBS slots were never activated - someone was really hoping San Marino Liechstenstein & Andorra could fill a craft between them - 20 years later only San Marino is on satellite (with one channel..)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
The DBS concept was a miserable failure because the high power satellites could only transmit a handful of channels - if you look at Marco Polo 1 & 2 it took TWO satellites to transmit FIVE channels at full power.

Commercially it was yes but technically I still think it was amazing that those 5 channels could be received on a tiny 35cm dish even through a double glazed patio door.

norm360

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500S, TD88 Triax Dish + NH210 Motor
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:
Ah I think I might know who ran that site :-rofl2

Very interesting it is too, been reading a fair few articles up there, the ill fated launch of Astra 1K I didn't know about. That was an impressive bird 6 meters long.

Analoguesat said:
Well Sky moved to 28E as there simply wasnt sufficient capacity at 19E - which was more than half filled with German analogues :D

Yeah I know Sky needed the capacity. My question was really concerned about what decides the orbital position, why did Astra decide upon 28.2e, seems very specific. As far as the UK is concerned 5w to 1e have to be better orbital positions as they satellite sits higher in the sky, so less chance of obstruction interfering with reception.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I believe that easterly satellite positions are also preferred because when the biennial (that's twice a year!) solar outages occur it'll happen early in the morning when fewer peopple are watching and so there'll be fewer phone calls.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not wishing to be a pedant Paul, but thought biennial was every two years, with bi-annual being twice a year.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hmmmm, have I got it the wrong way round? Must check...

EDIT

Bugger - mea culpa.

geordiejohn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky sd and penta 85cm motorised with ancient spiderbox 900HD
My Location
uk
I always thought (although I am no expert) that we got 28 East as it was the best way to share the available range, UK/Ireland are the most easterly part of Europe we were allocated the most usable East satellite position as things filled up.

I still remember when I got reignited my interest in the hobby, I spent ages looking for UK sly on 19E.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
UK and RoI are the most Westerly part of Europe .......

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Tivù said:
Iceland is sometimes included as part of Europe although it is over the horizon for 28E.

As it sits astride the Atlantic ridge it can, of course, claim to be part of North America as well. Does it have a satellite directed towards it it any way? Does 1W supply what's needed Nordically?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
PaulR said:
Iceland is sometimes included as part of Europe although it is over the horizon for 28E.

It's low on the horizon under the ideal 10° elevation but it's not too bad if the signals are strong enough and there are no buildings in the way. At one point there were Icelandic channels on Astra 2D.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
Off topic, won't Iceland be covered by 40west as remember that Austrian guy with 4.5m getting greenland channels in Cband.

how did BSB decide to operate at 33west then, If the ideal position is 1e to 5west ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
PaulR said:

RUV-Sjonvarpid used Astra 2D for some tests about 10 years ago because of the coverage into Iceland

Hers the video loop they played out for weeks - the video got speeded up a bit by the YT transfer but its still watchable

[video=youtube;ManIKNoJKOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=ManIKNoJKOM[/video]

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
timo_w2s said:
It's low on the horizon under the ideal 10° elevation ...
I was guilty of oversimplification as I hadn't realised that the cutoff on the footprints was 10°, not the horizon. Must pay more attention...

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
norm360 said:

From a population coverage point of view it makes sense as there will will less chance of systems getting blocked by neighbouring obstacles, however from a financial point of view, whichever orbital slot offers the most appropriate satellite technology, the ability to uplink from other parts of the world, and the eventual price of leasing the transponders will often make more sense for a broadcaster.

Your original point about the UK coverage slot shift from West to East relies on all three of the above, with the last being the most poignant.

geordiejohn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky sd and penta 85cm motorised with ancient spiderbox 900HD
My Location
uk
Tivù said:

Oops, excuse me, had a bit of a senior moment!

DragonSat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+HD (DRX890C with 2TB Drive) connected to a boring basic sky dish
BFBS - Not yet connected
AFN - Not yet connected
Sky ITA - Not yet connected
My Location
York
ANother maybe more technical reason. Draw a line along the axis of the UK, where does it cross the equator around 28 degree area i think froma rough look on the atlas.

Maybe this makes things easier with footprint control on the UK spots

A nonymous

Reaction score
how did BSB decide to operate at 33west then, If the ideal position is 1e to 5west ?
BSB Marcopolo 1 & 2 Operated at 31w Wod :D

I'm also guessing that 1e to 5w positions were in use.

Nano

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Or even 1W to 5E :D

There was additionally a slot available for testing (19W ?) with the Olympus satellite - and TDF 1 and 2 - parked there for a couple of years with MAC broadcasts before something went pear shaped.

PFD ALGARVE

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m Prime focus, C130 Mirage LNB, Hauppauge WinTV Nova S2, Windows 7 Media Center
My Location
Serra de Silves
My uncle (professor of communication at a large UK university) says that gravity is not constant along the equator, and you in effect have troughs and peaks of gravity. It uses more fuel to keep the birds on the "peaks", so they would prefer them in the troughs where they have a tendency to stay.