Increase your download speed from 100% to 500%

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
Flashget Download Manager.
http://www.amazesoft.com/

If you haven't already tried it you should. It's the best download Manager there is.
It:
splits files into sections (download each split simultaneously) For faster downloads.
Resumes broken downloads
Schedule

Of couse it depends on your and the other sites bandwidth. FlashGet will make full of the bandwidth.

nobbly :+

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, good utility Nobbly, the other one I use is Mass Downloader, problem with a lot of these is the adware that comes attached. You can counter this by getting the registration hacks.

Rolf

tirosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IPVA
Channel Master 1.2M
VxMulti, MM1.04
My Location
Essex
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 06-Jun-02 AT 12:15 PM (GMT)]Guys, I use DLExpert from www.YaNew.com (English version) and it is excellent.

Seems like they changed the above site. Still available from other sites e.g. http://www.gamehippo.com/free_util/dlexpert.shtml

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Is this one Spy/Adware free Tirosh?

Rolf

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
can someone with more understanding than me please explain how these download managers actually speed thing up? I don't understand how splitting the file into chunks helps. In actual fact all files transmitted over IP networks are transmitted in chunks (packets).
The same amount of data still has to get through the same bottlenecks whether its in parallel or serialized.

Now satellites, there's something I can get my head around...

2old

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Cant fully understand it myself 2old but a lot of servers like mine tell me that these booster programs even if they do work are capped at the server end so they wont allow the extra speed anyway.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I don't tend to use them too much now, as i have ADSL, but I used to use Flashget and it certainly improved download speeds, particularly when i was using the satellite ISP.

They work by making multiple requests for data chunks, thus overlapping, a little like the QSPK method used by Satellite broadcasters, this is probably easier for you to understand 2old than it is for me. Many upload sites limit the size of the outgoing datastreams and the download manager seems to overcome this in most cases.

They are also very useful, particularly Mass downloader, for downloading a complete page of different jpegs or gifs in one hit, it will seek out the main jpeg address from the thumbnails, ideal for the mature content collector. ;)

rolf

tirosh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD3600IPVA
Channel Master 1.2M
VxMulti, MM1.04
My Location
Essex
Not sure how they work. I know that DLExpert kicks off multiple threads and does improve download speeds (I have tried with and without).

Rolf - it is adware/spayware free as I have run Lavasoft Adware and it has not detected any ofd these components.

Tirosh.