information on basic equipment needed for Ku band surfing

begarkitta

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am a newbie and have just registered. I want very basic information on what equipment I would be needing to start Ku band surfing. I am fairly well informed in electronics, audio electronics in general. But my knowledge of TV technology is very basic. please help.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi and welcome to the forum, have moved your post to the Digital Systems section for starters, but ultimately you may end up looking at the motorised section for information.

If all you want to do is surf the readily available free to air offerings, then a relatively cheap receiver and motorised dish will pull in quite a lot, depends on your location as to what size of dish is required for which satellite.

For more inclusive viewing, then perhaps one of the Linux based receivers like the Dreambox would be more appropriate, have a scan through the Dreambox section there is some interesting reading. :)

begarkitta

Reaction score
Rolf,

Thanks for that prompt reply.

Dreambox is pretty expensive for a beginner. Could you direct me to sites/foras where I can read baiscs? I would like to begin modestly, so that If I happen not to like surfing, I should not find myself with a plethora of expensive equipment I would not require anymore! I should also like to learn a lot about dish mounting (mannual of course! no motor stuff to begin with)

I am sure you know where to direct me to. Thanks a lot, again.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Dreambox 5620s is only around €175.00 so not any more than most receivers with any sort of future proofing, but may be hard work for a beginner.

All of the information you will need is here already, but may require a little searching. There are certainly many threads discussing the ideal setup for a beginner, but remember that you will not be a beginner for long and will soon feel like extending your system if you only buy a basic one.