Information please...

bobbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
aOpen MiniPc 2.16 Core Duo, 512Mb, rubbish graphics with TechnoTrend S2-3600
My Location
Stretham, Cambridgeshire, Uk
Hi I am new to this forum and after much reading, am a little confused. I am planning to get a DVB for my PC and then set up a dish to receive the sattelite data. At the moment which satellite I use I am not to bothered about as I have found many lists of what is where. I am, however, after some answers to the following questions:

1) Using a PC DVB Card what encrypted channels can I watch(What is cracked?), this will help me when I am looking at satellite lists to see what I could watch.

2) I assume that all FTA channels can be watched?

Thanks for the help Bob.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The answer to question two is yes, unfortunately the what is available list in question one is variable. There are channels available on 19.2 East, 13 East, 5 East, 1 West and 30 West, but again, the list can change daily.

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
H Bobbob, I'm a relative newcomer to this "hobby" but have to say I've become hooked ever since receiveing my first "hacked" channel.
I would suggest buying a motor to drive your dish, or alternatively (like I am currently doing until I get my motor installed) you can get 2 lnb's mounted to a dish which enables me to pick up Astra 19.2 East and Hotbird at 13 East.
It would help if you tell us which viewing content your most interested in ?

bobbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It is mostly the sport(football, motor racing, snooker) I am after, a little adult night time viewing might be of intrest, but not if this will interfere with the sport.

Yes, my current idea is to get 2 lnb's mounted on one dish for the moment(as this seems the cheaper and easier option for my first attempt). I live in east anglia so I dont think that a spectaculary big dish will be needed.

Out of intrest do many of these satellites have english speaking channels on? Or is it a case of listening to radio 5 live and watching the telly?Do all the current encryption(ignoring NDS) have hacks?

Thanks again for you help

Mat.

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
Well there are plenty of sports channels in the clear on most satellites (Eurosport etc)
I know that the TPS suite of channels on Hotbird play football and also adult entertainment after 2300hrs (the Multivision channels) you can now also get FreeXTV 24 hours a day off of Hotbird (adult stuff) until today Canal satellite was hacked on Astra 19.2 but they have now changed Hash tables so it's mostly gone.
You will find that channels and providers come and go on a regular basis, it's hard to know where to point your dish really !!
Having said that I can only speak for Astra and Hotbird, I'm sure others will know about all the other sats out there !

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
What football team do you support? 'O'-red

bobbob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I support Liverpool but watch most football on TV. I have had a look at http://www.lyngsat.com and decided that what "Rod Hulls Ariels" has is a good idea. A two LNB system pointing at Hotbird @ 13E and Astra @ 19.2E. This should enable me to get quite a lot of channels, and the football. However some more quick questions.

1) Is American Forces Network any good. I need something to convinve the women to allow me to bolt a Dish to the side of the house(football and mature content probally wont do it)?

2) If I have two LNB's will I need two PC cards as they all seem to have one tuner, or would I have to swap the cables whenever I want to change to something on the other LNB, in fact can someone point me to some good info on setting up a dish with twin LNB's?

3) How many LNB's can you actually hang of one dish? I have seem a house around here that has about four LNB's on the same dish?

Thanks again for your help

Bob.

PS. Looking forward to Live Saturday football next season!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
bobbob said:
I support Liverpool but watch most football on TV. I have had a look at http://www.lyngsat.com and decided that what "Rod Hulls Ariels" has is a good idea. A two LNB system pointing at Hotbird @ 13E and Astra @ 19.2E. This should enable me to get quite a lot of channels, and the football. However some more quick questions.

1) Is American Forces Network any good. I need something to convinve the women to allow me to bolt a Dish to the side of the house(football and mature content probally wont do it)?

2) If I have two LNB's will I need two PC cards as they all seem to have one tuner, or would I have to swap the cables whenever I want to change to something on the other LNB, in fact can someone point me to some good info on setting up a dish with twin LNB's?

3) How many LNB's can you actually hang of one dish? I have seem a house around here that has about four LNB's on the same dish?

Thanks again for your help

Bob.

PS. Looking forward to Live Saturday football next season!

Hi Bob

Obviously the wrong team :D , at least the colour is sort of right .
Regarding your questions:
1) Don't know about US forces stuff, but how about the Fashion Channel? That should make your missus happy. There are also plenty of God channels, as well as lots of shopping channels (lock away your credit card though). I am waiting for the day they will have a Shoe Channel, that will be the day of the apocalypse.....Anyway, put your foot down and watch some footie!!
2) Two: This tecnical question is better answered by someone who knows, but I don't think you'll need two cards. But think about this: A motor like I use (SG1200) costs only about 60 euro's (about 40 quid), by the time you have bought another LNB + bracket you are not too far off the price. A motor is really the thing you need.
3) Again: A question for the experts. But from my understanding you can put up as many as you like if you have the bracket for it. But this is always a compromise as at least one of the LNB's is not getting the full signal. And by the time you bought a third LNB you might as well have bought a motor....
But if you really like the multi-LNB setup, look up e bay item number 3089839805 (I have attached a picture of this monstrosity O-Ha )
4) I have said it before, but here it is again: Put your foot down!!

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
Bobbob, I'll be honest my LNB setup is really really bodged together, I have a dish pointing at Hotbird 13East with it's own LNB and I also have my old Analogue dish pointing at
Sky digital (for my Sky ST:cool: with... another LNB gaffer taped to the sky LNB angled for Astra 19.2 !!! sounds really bodge job but it works no problems honest !
As for 2 cards required ? not needed, just get a switch for 2 inputs (any good satellite retailer should stock them ?) thats what I'm currently using.
Just flick a switch to change LNB's no probs..
However TG is very correct, get a motor, much much more choice and they are cheap.. infact I do have one just won't put it up until I move house soon !

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
E bay mate

Look it up, for instance:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3091022863&category=8340

I have myself purchased one of these SG 2100 motors, and they seem to be fine. With the EU 2 years warranty I think this is good value for money (even if it dies one day after the two years).
I can't say anything about the seller of this item, I don't know them.

nmigreja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M3
My Location
Porto, Portugal
rolfw said:
The answer to question two is yes, unfortunately the what is available list in question one is variable. There are channels available on 19.2 East, 13 East, 5 East, 1 West and 30 West, but again, the list can change daily.
Where can I get this list? Thanks.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
It's a list you have to compile yourself on a daily basis!

There are lists of 'everything' available, like www.lyngsat.com, but it's down to you to keep track of what's viewable.

nmigreja

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Illusion M3
My Location
Porto, Portugal
BGonaSTICK said:
It's a list you have to compile yourself on a daily basis!

There are lists of 'everything' available, like www.lyngsat.com, but it's down to you to keep track of what's viewable.
Thanks for the info!