• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Insat 4B successfully launched:)

My Satellite Setup
Nss6, SkyStar 1 card in computer
My Location
India
Insat 4B successfully launched today early morning:)

ISRO's latest satellite, INSAT-4B, was successfully launched early this morning (March 12, 2007) by the European Ariane-5 ECA launch vehicle of Arianespace. The 3,025 kg INSAT-4B is the second satellite in the INSAT-4 series. An identical satellite, INSAT-4A, was launched by Ariane-5 on December 22, 2005.

With 12 high power Ku-band transponders and 12 C-band transponders, INSAT-4B will further augment the INSAT capacity for Direct-To-Home (DTH) television services and other communication and TV services.

The 31st flight in Ariane-5 series, carrying ISRO's INSAT-4B and its co-passenger, Skynet-5A of EADS Astrium, lifted off at 03:33 am Indian Standard Time (IST) from Kourou, French Guyana. About 30 minutes after lift-off, INSAT-4B was placed in the Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) in 3-axis stabilised mode. INSAT-4B is now orbiting the earth with a perigee (nearest point to earth) of 243 km and an apogee (farthest point to earth) of 35,876 km and an inclination of 4.52 deg with respect to the equator. The orbital period is about 10 hours 34 minutes.

The Master Control Facility (MCF) at Hassan in Karnataka acquired the first signals from INSAT-4B at 4:02 am IST. The initial checks on the satellite have indicated normal health of the satellite. MCF subsequently issued commands to the satellite to make the earth viewing face to orient towards earth. The calibration of the gyros on board the satellite was also carried out.

INSAT-4B is being tracked, monitored and controlled from MCF. During the initial phase operations, MCF also utilises INMARSAT Organisation's Telemetry, Tracking and Command (TTC) ground stations at Beijing (China), Fucino (Italy) and Lake Cowichan (Canada) besides the ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command (ISTRAC) Network station at Biak in Indonesia. The satellite's orbit is being precisely determined by continuous ranging from the participating ground stations.

In the coming days, INSAT-4B will be manoeuvred to its final geostationary orbit, which is about 36,000 km above the equator, by firing its 440 Newton Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM). When the satellite reaches near geosynchronous orbit, deployment of its solar panels and the two antennas will be carried out and the satellite put in its final 3-axis stabilised mode. This will be followed by trim manoeuvres to take the satellite to its designated orbital slot at 93.5 degree East longitude where it will be co-located with INSAT-3A. The payloads will be checked out before the commissioning of the satellite.

INSAT-4B carries the following payloads:

* 12 Ku- band 36 MHz and 27 MHz usable bandwidth Transponders (9 and 3 numbers respectively) employing 140 W TWTAs to provide an EIRP of 52 dBW over the footprint covering Indian main land.
* 12 C-band 36 MHz bandwidth transponders employing 63 W TWTA to provide an EIRP 39 dBW with expanded coverage encompassing Indian geographical boundary, area beyond India in southeast and northwest regions.

INSAT-4B measures 15.4 metre with its solar arrays are fully deployed in orbit. The satellite will be 3-axis body stabilised in orbit using earth sensors, momentum and reaction wheels, magnetic torquers and eight 10 Newton and eight 22 Newton Reaction Control Thrusters. The satellite has two solar arrays together generating 5,860 Watt of electrical power backed up by three 100 Ah Lithium-Ion Batteries.

The satellite has two deployable antennas for various transmit and receive functions.

With ISRO Satellite Centre (ISAC), Bangalore, as the lead Centre, INSAT-4B was realised with major contributions from Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad, Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC) at Valiamala and Bangalore, Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) and ISRO Inertial Systems Unit (IISU) at Thiruvananthapuram and Laboratory for Electro Optic Sensors at Bangalore. Besides, several industries in both public and private sectors have contributed to the realisation of INSAT-4B. MCF is responsible for initial phase and in-orbit operation of all geostationary satellites of ISRO.

Established in 1983, the Indian National Satellite (INSAT) is the largest domestic communication satellite systems in the Asia Pacific Region with nine satellites in operation. It provides services in telecommunication, television broadcasting, meteorology including disaster warning, tele-education and telemedicine. The system has 175 transponders at present for communication services besides meteorological instruments (Very High Resolution Radiometer and Charged Coupled Device (CCD) cameras) for providing meteorological data. With the addition of INSAT-4B, the communication capacity will be further increased to 199 transponders. :)

bokya

My Satellite Setup
Dish tv network and FTA receiver
My Location
Mumbai (India)
Thanks for this info raj8888

this is the good news for all indians

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
Thanks for the excellent, best on the net coverage, once again guys.

My Satellite Setup
My Location
India
I missed to put the source information:

the source for my post was 'http://isro.org/'

rohit0103

My Satellite Setup
Tata Sky- Thomson STB
My Location
Pune india
This is indeed good news for all: now for some DTH questions :
Any infor on the following :
1. which all operators have booked how many transponders on this satellite ?
2. how many channels increase can be expected per transponder increase. i know it depends on compression quality..but typically, how many ?
3. when can these new channels (if any) can be expected/activated ?

My Satellite Setup
My Location
India
source: isro.org

March 13, 2007

INSAT-4B The first critical orbit-raising manoeuvre on INSAT-4B was successfully conducted at 5:35 am this morning (March 13, 2007) with the firing of the 440 Newton Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) on board for 93 minutes by commanding the satellite from Master Control Facility (MCF) at Hassan in Karnataka. With this LAM operation, INSAT-4B perigee has been raised to 14,244 km. The apogee is at 35,752 km and the inclination of the orbit with respect to the equatorial plane has been reduced from 4.5 deg at the time of entering into orbit to 1.15 deg now. The present orbital period is 15 hours 21 minutes. INSAT-4B Mission Profile

It may be recalled that INSAT-4B was successfully launched by Ariane 5 launch vehicle yesterday (March 12, 2007) from Kourou, French Guyana. The launch vehicle placed INSAT-4B in the intended Gesynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO) with a perigee (closest point to the earth) of 250 km and apogee (farthest point to earth) of 35,886 km. MCF acquired the first signals at 4:02 am IST on March 12, 2007 and conducted initial phase operations on INSAT-4B. The satellite which had gone out of radio visibility of MCF at 2:04 pm yesterday, came within its radio visibility again at 1:00 am this morning. The satellite was oriented suitably before the start of LAM operations.

All systems on board the satellite are functioning normally. The satellite went out of MCF radio visibility at 12:02 pm this afternoon. It will again come within MCF’s radio visibility at 6:11 am tomorrow. Further orbit raising maneuvers are planned in the next few days.

Insat 4b's 7 ku transponders are taken by SunDTH
and remaining 5 ku transponders are taken by GREAT;) DD DTH:) :)
(i don't know why they want to waste that transponders useless:( and waste indian tax payers money:( )

My Satellite Setup
dishtv india
My Location
India
When total DTH Operation will start from the TPs of Insat 4B and services will be started by Sun DTH?

rohit0103

My Satellite Setup
Tata Sky- Thomson STB
My Location
Pune india
ttp://www.business-standard.com/common/storypage.php?autono=277586&leftnm=4&subLeft=0&chkFlg=
sorry, i had to post the whole article as Business Standard links have a tendency to disappear.. :)

Not enough for DTH
The successful launch of the Insat-4B communication satellite from Kourou in French Guyana on Monday morning marks a further expansion of India’s domestic communication satellite network, now by far the largest in the Asia-Pacific region. This second satellite in the Insat-4 series joins a fleet of nine other Indian communication spacecraft, including Kalpana-1, Gsat-2, Edusat and Insat-4A, which together have 175 transponders in C band and extended C and Ku bands. Built gradually over the past 24 years, this dynamic network has revolutionised the information and communication sectors besides catering, if only partly, for the needs of meteorology, education, health, agriculture and business. With the addition of 24 more transponders (12 in Ku band and 12 in C band) through Insat-4B, almost akin to Insat-4A, the total number of transponders swells to 199. The new satellite will give a boost to direct-to-home television broadcasting through Ku band transponders and other fields like TV, radio and telecommunication through C band transponders.

All this is commendable, but the available transponder capacity is still short of the requirement, which, based on the existing demand, is reckoned at about 300 transponders. From that viewpoint, the loss of the Insat-4C satellite in July during the crash of the GSLV launch vehicle is still hurting. That would have added 12 more Ku band transponders to the available fleet. That mishap prevented several DTH operators, including Doordarshan’s (DD’s) Direct Plus, Dish TV and Tata Sky, from expanding their reach. Besides, it put on hold the proposed launch of similar services by some new players as well. The launch of Insat-4B may provide only cold comfort to several of these potential customers as the entire capacity of this satellite has already been committed, the biggest gainers being Sun DTH, which gets seven of the 12 DTH transponders, and DD Direct, which gets the remaining five DTH transponders. The C band capacity, too, has been allotted for services like radio, TV and telecommunications. The new seekers will, therefore, have to wait for some more time, till at least the launch of Insat-4CR later this year as a replacement of the ill-fated Insat-4C. However, since Doordarshan is slated to switch over its DTH DD Direct service from the American-owned NSS-6 satellite to Insat-4B by early May, the transponder space vacated by it may become available to new players. Significantly, this switchover is projected to help the Prasar Bharati save around $5 million, though it will require it to rotate its dish antennas from the existing 95 degrees to 93.5 degrees. It is not yet clear whether this rotation would necessitate re-programming of set-top boxes.

The operation of the Insat-4B should help Antrix Corporation, the commercial arm of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), earn Rs 4.5 crore per transponder per year during the 12-year life of the new satellite. This should encourage ISRO to focus more on bridging the gap between the demand for and supply of transponder capacity; a ready market is waiting to be tapped.

i read somewhere in one of the forums that zee is taking over the vacated transponders..TSKY loses again.. :(
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...rove-its-services-add-more-channels-soon.html

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Orbit successfully raised further:

In the second orbit raising manoeuvre conducted at 12:47 [IST] today (March 14, 2007), the Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) on board INSAT-4B was fired for 41 minutes by commanding the satellite from Master Control Facility (MCF), Hassan. With this LAM firing, INSAT-4B perigee (closest point to earth) has been raised to 32,878 km. The apogee (farthest point to earth) height remains at 35,736 km. The inclination of orbit with respect to the equatorial plane has been reduced to 0.19 deg. INSAT-4B now has an orbital period of 22 hours 41 minutes. The satellite will now be in the continuous radio visibility of MCF-Hassan.

INSAT-4B was launched by the European Ariane-5 launch vehicle on March 12, 2007 from Kourou, French Guyana. The launch vehicle had placed INSAT-4B in an orbit with a perigee of 250 km and apogee of 35,886 km with an inclination of 4.5 deg with respect to the equatorial plane. With the first orbit raising manoeuvre carried out from MCF, Hassan yesterday (March 13, 2007), INSAT-4B had been put in an intermediate orbit of 14,244 km perigee and 35,752 km apogee and the orbital inclination had been reduced to 1.15 degree with respect to the equatorial plane.

INSAT-4B came within the radio visibility of MCF this morning at 06:13 am (IST) and all the necessary operations like earth acquisition and gyro calibration were carried out before the second orbit raising manoeuvre was started.

The next orbit manoeuvre to place INSAT-4B in near Geosynchronous Orbit is planned on March 16, 2007. Deployment of the two solar panels and the two antennas will be carried out subsequently.

curious

My Satellite Setup
DishTV Zenega CD1006,
Airtel digital TV
My Location
Pune (Latitude: 18° 28'N, Longitude: 73° 52'E), Maharashtra, India
March 16, 2007,

In the third and final orbit-raising operation conducted from Master Control Facility (MCF) at Hassan in Karnataka at 10:36 am today (March 16, 2007), INSAT-4B has been successfully placed in near-geosynchronous orbit. In today's manoeuvre, the Liquid Apogee Motor (LAM) on board the satellite was fired for a duration of 3 min 50 sec and the satellite has achieved an orbital period of 23 hours and 52 minutes.

It may be recalled that INSAT-4B was successfully launched by Ariane-5 on March 12, 2007 from Kourou, French Guyana. The launch vehicle had placed INSAT-4B in an orbit with a perigee (closest point to earth) of 250 km and apogee (farthest point to earth) of 35,886 km. The inclination of the orbit with respect to the equator was 4.5 deg. With two orbit raising manoeuvres conducted from MCF on March 13 and 14, 2007, the orbit of INSAT-4B had been raised to 32,878 km perigee and 35,736 km apogee with the orbital inclination reduced to 0.19 deg.

After placing INSAT-4B in near-geosynchronous orbit today, the deployment of its two solar panels and two antennas was successfully completed. The two solar arrays of INSAT-4B together generate 5,860 W of electrical power. The two antennas are used for various transmit and receive functions. The satellite will be put to its three-axis stabilised mode tomorrow.

INSAT-4B is presently located at 74.88 deg E longitude and is drifting towards its final orbital position of 93.5 deg E. The satellite drift will be arrested at 80.5 deg E longitude to carry out in-orbit testing of the payloads after which, it will be moved to 93.5 deg E longitude where it will be co-located with INSAT-3A.

Source: isro.org