Install Dish - Predict Earthquake

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
Yesterday the place where I live was struck by three earthquakes, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9 on the richter scale, epicentres in the sea within 50 miles of my house. At this strength they swing lights, knock you against furniture and knock things off shelves. Roofs collapse on older buildings. And you run out of the house damned fast! I was on the roof trying to adjust my dish to pick up Hispasat when the third one struck. From this experience I have developed a "How to.." guide:

How to predict an earthquake by installing a satellite dish.

a. When the first earthquake has finished, come back into the house and sit in fear.

b. Every so often, say once or twice an hour, when after shocks occur run outside in panic, try to look cool and exchange nervous chat with neighbours, and then go back and sit again in fear.

c. After an hour or two of this, you start to feel confident that you can nip up on to the roof between after shocks. When you get this feeling IT IS THE FIRST SIGN OF AN IMPENDING EARTHQUAKE.

d. After an hour or so more, you are damned sure you can do it and you gather your tools. If you love your neighbours this is the time to tell them to get out of their houses with all speed.

e. On the roof, you lay out your tools and loosen the adjusting bolts. This is the CRITICAL MOMENT and a 5 point niner will immediately break loose. You will form a new and unexpected deep relationship with your chimney, arms wrapped tightly around, cables will fly, and tools will rattle down the roof and fall to the ground.

Finding Hispasat still eludes me, though!

DSM

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500CI super, 78cm solid dish, 0.2db LNB, HP Pentium4 PC with XP Home. Foretec Star Lifetime Diamond (more trouble than it's worth)
My Location
Merseyside
Wow!

I thought i had problems!

Artist 2004 said:
Yesterday the place where I live was struck by three earthquakes, 5.7, 5.8, 5.9 on the richter scale, epicentres in the sea within 50 miles of my house. At this strength they swing lights, knock you against furniture and knock things off shelves. Roofs collapse on older buildings. And you run out of the house damned fast! I was on the roof trying to adjust my dish to pick up Hispasat when the third one struck. From this experience I have developed a "How to.." guide:

How to predict an earthquake by installing a satellite dish.

a. When the first earthquake has finished, come back into the house and sit in fear.

b. Every so often, say once or twice an hour, when after shocks occur run outside in panic, try to look cool and exchange nervous chat with neighbours, and then go back and sit again in fear.

c. After an hour or two of this, you start to feel confident that you can nip up on to the roof between after shocks. When you get this feeling IT IS THE FIRST SIGN OF AN IMPENDING EARTHQUAKE.

d. After an hour or so more, you are damned sure you can do it and you gather your tools. If you love your neighbours this is the time to tell them to get out of their houses with all speed.

e. On the roof, you lay out your tools and loosen the adjusting bolts. This is the CRITICAL MOMENT and a 5 point niner will immediately break loose. You will form a new and unexpected deep relationship with your chimney, arms wrapped tightly around, cables will fly, and tools will rattle down the roof and fall to the ground.

Finding Hispasat still eludes me, though!

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
and I thought that I had problems finding hispasat. Hope you find it soon - it's worth it.

Can you buy a motorised dish to compensate for house movement ?

Artist 2004

Anatolia correspondent
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
GoldMaster 7400 CIM 2MB with Kaon board 12.03.a5. Technomate 1000, Technomate 5200 USB.
Two 80cm offset dishes.
My Location
West coast, Turkey
whatsthis said:
and I thought that I had problems finding hispasat. Hope you find it soon - it's worth it.

Can you buy a motorised dish to compensate for house movement ?

Good idea - my camcorder has a shake corrector, so the design is pretty much complete!

p.s. anyone need broken roof tiles?