Installing Enigma 2 to flash drive on AB IPbox 9xxx HD.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I've seen some long winded guides for installing Enigma2 on flash which make it more complicated than it needs to be. I do it in the following way, which I find much more simple.

This guide is specific to the IPBox 9000 HD (and its equivalents). I don't own any of the other variants so cant test, but the process should be the same with possibly different paths.

You'll need to set your box up so that you can choose to boot from either flash, USB Drive, HDD .......
To do that install Multiboot (Attached below). Its a normal USB upgrade, see your manual for instructions on how to install USB upgrades.

I had problems installing it via a USB pen drive, installing via Flash Tools worked.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...86405-enigma-2-multiboot-ipbox-serie-9xxx-rar

Once multiboot has been installed installed you can continue to install Enigma2 on USB Drive. I'll be assuming that you have a DG Station based image in flash.

Download the Enigma2 image you want to install. It should be called something along the lines of imagename-version.tar.gz.

Boot to your DGS based image and start a telnet session with it.

#######################################################

1: Insert your USB drive and format it as follows in your telnet session. Execute the commands one at a time.
Code:
umount /dev/sdb1
mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb/usb0

2: Use your favourite FTP program to tansfer the downloaded image file to your usb drive, which should be mounted at /mnt/usb/usb0 at this stage.

3: Extract the image to the pen drive.....
Code:
cd /mnt/usb/usb0
tar xzvf imagename-version.tar.gz

When this completes, you should be able to reboot and boot into Enigma2 by pressing and holding the corresponding button on your remote while the LCD display reads 'Booting'. (In my case with a HDD fitted, this would be number 2).

It will take quite a while for Enigma to boot on the first fun, so don't pull the plug too soon.

If you have a PC running Linux, the above process can be carried out on the PC. Its much quicker this way because extraction on the AB IPbox takes quite a while.
Multiboot startup options......

if you want multiboot function, download attached usb_config.img.
Then press number button which you want on RCU when start up from shutdown.
Multiboot function supports as below style.

# 1 boot with CDKroot(NFS)
# 2 boot from USB memory stick, with internal HDD
# 3 original images as current flash memory
# 4 boot with NFS
# 5 boot from USB memory stick, but without internal HDD
# 6 boot from internal SATA HDD
# 7 boot from flash memory for another image

Default value : no.3

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
I've seen some long winded guides for installing Enigma2 on flash which make it more complicated than it needs to be. I do it in the following way, which I find much more simple.

This guide is specific to the IPBox 9000 HD (and its equivalents). I don't own any of the other variants so cant test, but the process should be the same with possibly different paths.

You'll need to set your box up so that you can choose to boot from either flash, USB Drive, HDD .......
To do that install Multiboot (Attached below). Its a normal USB upgrade, see your manual for instructions on how to install USB upgrades.

I had problems installing it via a USB pen drive, installing via Flash Tools worked.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...86405-enigma-2-multiboot-ipbox-serie-9xxx-rar

Once multiboot has been installed installed you can continue to install Enigma2 on USB Drive. I'll be assuming that you have a DG Station based image in flash.

Download the Enigma2 image you want to install. It should be called something along the lines of imagename-version.tar.gz.

Boot to your DGS based image and start a telnet session with it.

1: Insert your USB drive and format it as follows in your telnet session. Execute the commands one at a time.
Code:
umount /dev/sdb1
mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb/usb0

2: Use your favourite FTP program to tansfer the downloaded image file to your usb drive, which should be mounted at /mnt/usb/usb0 at this stage.

3: Extract the image to the pen drive.....
Code:
cd /mnt/usb/usb0
tar xzvf imagename-version.tar.gz

When this completes, you should be able to reboot and boot into Enigma2 by pressing and holding the corresponding button on your remote while the LCD display reads 'Booting'. (In my case with a HDD fitted, this would be number 2).

It will take quite a while for Enigma to boot on the first fun, so don't pull the plug too soon.

If you have a PC running Linux, the above process can be carried out on the PC. Its much quicker this way because extraction on the AB IPbox takes quite a while.
Multiboot startup options......

if you want multiboot function, download attached usb_config.img.
Then press number button which you want on RCU when start up from shutdown.
Multiboot function supports as below style.

# 1 boot with CDKroot(NFS)
# 2 boot from USB memory stick, with internal HDD
# 3 original images as current flash memory
# 4 boot with NFS
# 5 boot from USB memory stick, but without internal HDD
# 6 boot from internal SATA HDD
# 7 boot from flash memory for another image

Default value : no.3

digitaldvd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite
My Location
pacific
Hi Compufunk
thanks for your article i have been having trouble trying to boot from usb pen drive but found that when i did the tar.gz it would unload most off the file but then say not enough memory then i saw your comments about issues with usb drives, so i hooked up my usb hdd and was able to fully download the enigma2 image into the drive and no memory problems but it seems to not want to boot up from the multiboot menu using number5 on the remote, any ideas about this also cant understand why it would have a memory issue with the pen drives, as one is a 2g rundisk and the other is a 8g transcend.
Thanks and merry xmas
:-googly

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Hi digitaldvd,
Welcome to the forum :).
digitaldvd said:
...then i saw your comments about issues with usb drives, ....
I don't recall mentioning problems with USB drives. Your 2Gb pen drive should be more than adequate.

I've not tested installation on an external HDD so cant help you there.

It sounds like the USB pen drive is either not mounted when you run the command to extract the image, or you are working from the wrong directory.

To check that the pen drive is mounted, run the mount command. It will output a number of lines, one of which should read
Code:
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb/usb0
If this line is not displayed, simply remove the pen drive and replace it, then try the mount command again.

If it is mounted, check that you are working from the correct directory by running the 'pwd' (present working directory) command. You should be in /mnt/usb/usb0. If not, cd to /mnt/usb/usb0 before running the extraction command.

If you are still having problems, run the following command and paste the output here.
Code:
df -h

Have you managed to install multiboot? Could you please give a little more detail on your system, model, image installed, any attached drives etc.

digitaldvd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite
My Location
pacific
Thanks for your reply
Im using a ab ipbox 9000hd and have installed one sd tuner and one hd tuner which came from Germany both tunners seem to work ok,the only reason i mention this is that i did finaly get multiboot to work and was able to load the latest pkt e2 image from the usb hdd but after all this effort cant get the tunners to work with the pkt image,yet im able to download the channels into the box but when i go to watch them, no signal.
Im going to now look at the pen drives again to see where im going wrong and also your comment about wrong directory, would now make sense to me why a possible memory shortage.
I also see sda or sdb what is the difference with these letters a or b.
Thanks again

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Sorry, I cant help you with the tuners. All I've got are the twin HD tuners that came with the box. I suggest you remove them and try one at a time to figure out which one is causing the problem.

digitaldvd said:
Im going to now look at the pen drives again to see where im going wrong and also your comment about wrong directory, would now make sense to me why a possible memory shortage.
If you were working from the wrong directory and ran the command I use to extract, you could end up extracting the image to internal flash, hence the lack of space. Just a possibility.

digitaldvd said:
I also see sda or sdb what is the difference with these letters a or b.
Thanks again
They are different drives. Different partitions would be listed as sdb0, sdb1, sda0, sda1 etc.

digitaldvd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite
My Location
pacific
Thanks for the reply
Sometimes i cant see the forest because of the trees
my main problem was i would format the drive get it to work then leave the drive in and go back to standard mode multiboot 3 this was formatting the drive for realtime recording, hence i would lose the e2 image so i make sure if im playing around take the usb pen drive out and only put it back in if im going to multiboot to 5 using e2, which is now running fine including the tuners which i found if i go from b to a this fixed the problem this maybe due.
Also your simple description for mounting unmounting and formatting solved my issues.
Many Thanks
:-thumbup

Nelbert

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fracarro Penta 85
Cuberevo DVB-S2/T
TM-6800HD
TM-2600 Motor
My Location
Tyne and Wear
If you use 7zip (or similar prog of your choice) on a windows box and extract the image file to a .tar before ftping it to the receiver, extracting on the IPBox takes very little time. (tar -xvf imagefile.tar)

It's the combination of gunzip and tar extraction which makes it so much slower on the IPBox. Especially as the gunzip expands the image to ~100Mb tar file to extract.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
digitaldvd said:
Thanks for the reply
Sometimes i cant see the forest because of the trees.........
Glad to hear you got up and running, happy E2ing. :)
Nelbert said:
It's the combination of gunzip and tar extraction which makes it so much slower on the IPBox. Especially as the gunzip expands the image to ~100Mb tar file to extract.
Good point, thats quite true. :-thumbup

ipbox9000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ipbox 9000 twin hd tuners, pc running windows xp home
My Location
Manchester
Hi, sorry to drag you back to this thread, I'm new to all this, but I have managed to install multiboot onto the ipbox 9000, it all seems to work fine. I've also installed the Enigma 2 image on the usb stick. When I try and multiboot via usb, option 2 on the RC, the display cycles as follows: "Multiboot 2", then to "Loading", then to "Loading Module", then to "Enigma 2". It seems to hang on this as I have waited up to 20 mins before resetting the stb. I then Multiboot back to option 3 and load the original DGS Flash image, no problem. Your assistance would be appreciated.

ipbox9000

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
ipbox 9000 twin hd tuners, pc running windows xp home
My Location
Manchester
Hi, all resolved now, I think I was turning the box off too soon and it was corrupting the Flash Drive. Cheers, you made the whole process pretty simple.

samthaman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 SI
Anysee
Humax 5400z
My Location
Jordan
i had a similar problem concerning not enough memory i believe the main reason for that was i have formatted my USB with EXT3 file system as recommended by some site but when i saw your guide i tried EXT2 which was successful

any how thanks for your guide