Installing external HDD

My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6900
My Location
Lancashire
Hi folks

Need help. Bought very nice Western Digital HDD ( 1 T:cool: but am having difficulty installing it on a Technomate 6900.

It connects via a USB2 socket on the front. The Technomate doesn't recognise that a USB2 drive is connected and will not record to it. The HDD is powered, and the blue light is on. Using the USB key on the remote brings up a choice of three actions...format is the third, and clicking on that seems to activate the procedure. The other two actions elicit no response.

This is the second time this Technomate has refuses to see an HDD. The last time it wasa Toshiba drive.

Any help or advice available?

Best wishes and thanks for any help

HB13DISH

Archived Member
My Location
Middle East - Israel
bellskem said:
Hi folks

Need help. Bought very nice Western Digital HDD ( 1 T:cool: but am having difficulty installing it on a Technomate 6900.

It connects via a USB2 socket on the front. The Technomate doesn't recognise that a USB2 drive is connected and will not record to it. The HDD is powered, and the blue light is on. Using the USB key on the remote brings up a choice of three actions...format is the third, and clicking on that seems to activate the procedure. The other two actions elicit no response.

This is the second time this Technomate has refuses to see an HDD. The last time it wasa Toshiba drive.

Any help or advice available?

Best wishes and thanks for any help
Did you click on the format option or not?

My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6900
My Location
Lancashire
I did click on the "format" button. I now find I should not have done so, though there was no warning on the screen that a large HDD should not be formatted. I found that instruction on the Technomate website later.

Is the correct procedure now to format the HDD on the computer as per the Technomate website instructions?

Thanks for your advice

Roger

My Satellite Setup
C-Tech 2100
My Location
UK
HI,

I think you should try to format the drive in FAT32 format. You should be able to do this from your pc. I think that if it is formatted in FAT or NTFS then the Technomate will not recognise the drive (maybe that has been the problem that you had with the other one too?). One other tip would be that if you have updated your firmware then always carry out a factory reset but make sure you have copied your channel list so that you dont have to rescan everything but you will have to set up your settings again. Technomate recommend the reset after each update.

Hope that is of some help.

My Satellite Setup
Technomate 6900
My Location
Lancashire
Hi Dave

I am still struggling with this matter. I have found that the HDD in question is found when plugged into my laptop, but not when I plug it into the desktop. Why this happens I don't know, but at least it means i can use the laptop to re-format the HDD. I haven't found the all -important Fat 32 file yet. It's supposed to be on the C drive of the desktop, though how it got there is mysterious...maybe it is part of the Windows XP set-up, maybe it downloads when one downloads the Technomate instructions from theie website.

I must admit I haven't even thought about downloading my channel list to enable it to be kept against a reload of factory settings or whatever. I suppose one inserts a memory stick into the USB2 socket on the front, and follows instructions in the manual. Is that right? And when iIhave done the business, do I just reverse the procedure and bingo, I am back to square one? How neat if so.

Thanks again for any help you or anyone else can give. I feel I am treading in very murky waters

Cheers
Roger D Bell:)

My Satellite Setup
C-Tech 2100
My Location
UK
Hi again,

Ok if your laptop (using xp) sees the hdd then in "my computer" right click on the drive and you should see a drop down menu. One of the options is format. Select that then you will have the format panel open under the heading "File System" (second white box) you have an arrow pointing down click on this and you get a drop down menu which should give you the options of FAT32 and Probably NTFS and maybe FAT..... select FAT32 then hit the Start button and it should start to format the drive. Hopefully once that is done then your technomate should be able to see it too.

To save your channel list go in the the menu selct USB data transfer and then the red button to upload the list to the usb drive (flash or HDD) when you reinstal it all you need to do is go to the USB drive selct the file that you uploaded (ending in CNDF) and it should ask where you want to download the file to either Default or Normal (I always select normal) and the channels should then be put back into your receiver. After the reset select the language then before you do anything else download the channel list after that you can then enter your rotor setting etc.

Please post back here if it works for you so that others can also benefit if they have the same problem.

D