pasha99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+
Bt Total Broadband
My Location
peterborough
hi everyone
I am going to install my new motorised system myself but was wondering where abouts to put it i wanted to put it on a ground stand in my garden but have a couple of trees, what is the 1st satellite east and the last west i will pick up on a 90cm dish so i know where to put it
many thanks
great site by the way

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
A typical east/ west spread in UK would be 42E to 30W (although 42E may be out of range).

And welcome to the forum :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
pasha99 said:
hi everyone
I am going to install my new motorised system myself but was wondering where abouts to put it i wanted to put it on a ground stand in my garden but have a couple of trees, what is the 1st satellite east and the last west i will pick up on a 90cm dish so i know where to put it
many thanks
great site by the way

If you go to a site such as this-
_http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm
you can find out where the east west limits that mhku has quoted fall on the magetic compass for your location. It will also tell you what angle from the ground (elevation) the sats are at. A compass and a protractor with a plumb line fixed to the centre (home made inclinometer) would help you to find out if the trees would be in the way.

pasha99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+
Bt Total Broadband
My Location
peterborough
if i was to say put the dish 20m down the garden would my house be in the way or are satellits alot higher:confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It will depend on where due south is n relation to your house, you can work it out by finding your property on Google Earth. If it is directly Due South, then unless your house is much more than 10m tall, you will certainly be fine for the satellites close to due South, the ones off to the East and West, will depend on what may be in the line of sight in those directions.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
pasha99 said:
if i was to say put the dish 20m down the garden would my house be in the way or are satellits alot higher:confused

The satellites are a fixed height above the equator about 22300 miles, like a ring around the earth called the Clarke Belt.

The angle you see them at from the ground depends on your location and the sats location. The satellite closest to your longitude (your nearest due south) will appear higher in the sky, the sats either side will gradually get lower and lower until they disappear below the horizon.

If you look at the link I put in, you will see what I mean, when you type in different sat locations.

pasha99

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky+
Bt Total Broadband
My Location
peterborough
sorry what link?:confused

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
In post #3
_http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm:)