Intelsat 10-02 (1°W for Digi TV)... too weak for 60cm?

rapido

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm
My Location
Hertfordshire
Hi all,

I have been trying and struggling to get Intelsat 10-02 at 1°W (for Digi TV) with my solid 60cm dish in SE England.

I managed to get channels from the new Thor 5 with no problem (Vision Norge, etc). These channels are apparently around 51dBW here.

However trying the Digi TV channels yields either no signal, or far too weak to lock or be watchable... they are supposed to be on the Spot 3 beam of Intelsat 10-02 which is (according to the footprint map) about 52dBW here!

I would've thought that 60cm would be more than enough! Or are they using lower power for whatever reason... I notice that each transponder seems to carry 4 or 5 channel streams rather than just 1.

Any ideas or information would be most appreciated,

-rapido

rapido

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm
My Location
Hertfordshire
I have also tried with a solid 80cm, but still no luck. I think the dish is a little warped due to falling over a few times!

Any ideas?

-rapido

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
You shouldn't be having any problem at your location. I use a rusty old perforated 60cm dish for those channels in (west) East Anglia. Once you've peaked Thor correctly, 10-02 should be there too.

Llew

rapido

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm
My Location
Hertfordshire
Llew said:
You shouldn't be having any problem at your location. I use a rusty old perforated 60cm dish for those channels in (west) East Anglia. Once you've peaked Thor correctly, 10-02 should be there too.

Llew

I s'pose I should then try again!

Actually I've found out that what I thought was a 60cm dish is actually a pretty round 55cm (the one Lidl used to sell)... the 80cm seems to perform slightly better, but like I say, it's warped a bit... but still I never got any luck with them; maybe just try again. Currently I've configured them for 55cm Hot Bird and 80cm Astra 1.

I do remember that old mesh 60cm dishes were actually 70cm x 60cm, so maybe that's why you are having more luck than me!

Many thanks for your help...!

-regards
rapido

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Did you manage to get BBC world on Thor OK?

Why don't you get a motorised dish?, then you could have a nice big say 1m dish and wack it round to whichever satellite you want.:)

rapido

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm
My Location
Hertfordshire
Robbo71 said:
Did you manage to get BBC world on Thor OK?

Why don't you get a motorised dish?, then you could have a nice big say 1m dish and wack it round to whichever satellite you want.:)

Funny, I've connected it to my original "60cm" (70cm down, 62cm across, got it for analogue Hot Bird in the mid '90s) dish, and it works fine for Digi TV as far as I can tell!

As for a motorised dish, I have one, it's a Uniden 90cm prime focus, probably 20 years old! I want to set it up for a giggle, really. :-)

-rapido