Intelsat 1002 + measuring equipment!

eng. m. neif

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lawrence
My Location
Bristol
Dear all,

Can anybody explain to me step by step how to do a couple of measurments on Intelsat 1002 spot 1?

1) Using Hewlett Packard E4403B Spectrum Analyzer, how can i perform a beacon search of Intelsat 1002 spot 1 and perform a peak search?

2) How to measure the cross-pol in Intelsat 1002 spot 2 using the same Spectrum analyzer? I need a bit of information on this one because I am not familiar with cross-pol.

3) Last one, How to measure the downlink EIRP using the same Spectrum Analyzer.

Any help on any question is much much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

M. Neif.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
eng. m. neif said:
Dear all,

Can anybody explain to me step by step how to do a couple of measurments on Intelsat 1002 spot 1?

1) Using Hewlett Packard E4403B Spectrum Analyzer, how can i perform a beacon search of Intelsat 1002 spot 1 and perform a peak search?

2) How to measure the cross-pol in Intelsat 1002 spot 2 using the same Spectrum analyzer? I need a bit of information on this one because I am not familiar with cross-pol.

3) Last one, How to measure the downlink EIRP using the same Spectrum Analyzer.

Any help on any question is much much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

M. Neif.

It's highly unlikely that any members of this forum have a professional instrument such as that.

Is there nothing in the handbook that can help you?

A spectrum analyser specifically made for satellite testing would be better suited for those measurements.

Llew

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
It depends what you want really to measure, how accurate you want to be and why.
For example you could use a quattro LNB (so no switching is required) and couple 18V in order to power the Vertical Low LNB. If you want to be accurate then you would have to quantify the coupler loss, coax loss, lnb gain, dish gain, free space loss and make sure that the Spectrum Analyser is matched (as well as quantifying the SA calibration).
As all of the spot 1 beams are Vertical and Low then it would follow that the IF signal from the LNB would be from 1237Mhz to 1925Mhz (10987 to 11675), so this should be your (full) scan range. You would probably have to reduce the scan range to identify each transponder, and you I would be surprised if the measurements are linear at all frequencies.

To do cross polar measurements, the easiest way would be to store a scan in memory (if possible), then simply rotate the LNB 90 degrees and measure the difference. This would of course give you a system cross polar value (as opposed to a transmitter value)!

The EIRP can be calculated by the measured value minus the system gain, but I would expect the calculated value to be roughly consistent with the manufacturers specifications: help://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/intel1002_spot1.html

I've probably missed a few points - or perhaps misunderstood your requirement, so good luck!

eng. m. neif

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lawrence
My Location
Bristol
Llew said:
It's highly unlikely that any members of this forum have a professional instrument such as that.

Is there nothing in the handbook that can help you?

A spectrum analyser specifically made for satellite testing would be better suited for those measurements.

Llew

~The handbook wont tell how to do measurments, it will only tell how to operate the analyzer.

I wanted to know how to measure using the analyzer. in fact it could be any spectrum analyzer, not that one in particular.

thanks

eng. m. neif

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lawrence
My Location
Bristol
Low Profile said:
It depends what you want really to measure, how accurate you want to be and why.
For example you could use a quattro LNB (so no switching is required) and couple 18V in order to power the Vertical Low LNB. If you want to be accurate then you would have to quantify the coupler loss, coax loss, lnb gain, dish gain, free space loss and make sure that the Spectrum Analyser is matched (as well as quantifying the SA calibration).
As all of the spot 1 beams are Vertical and Low then it would follow that the IF signal from the LNB would be from 1237Mhz to 1925Mhz (10987 to 11675), so this should be your (full) scan range. You would probably have to reduce the scan range to identify each transponder, and you I would be surprised if the measurements are linear at all frequencies.

To do cross polar measurements, the easiest way would be to store a scan in memory (if possible), then simply rotate the LNB 90 degrees and measure the difference. This would of course give you a system cross polar value (as opposed to a transmitter value)!

The EIRP can be calculated by the measured value minus the system gain, but I would expect the calculated value to be roughly consistent with the manufacturers specifications: help://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/intel1002_spot1.html

I've probably missed a few points - or perhaps misunderstood your requirement, so good luck!

Thanks a lot for your help, it definitely helps.

So questions 2 and 3 are sorted! What about the beacon. I know that every satellite has a beacon so that it can be identified. Is there any way that you could tell me how to perform this search? I knew from an old friend of mine but I kind of forgoten how its done.

Thanks again for your help

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Further reading, might be of some interest _http://www.satsig.net/spectrum-analyser.htm

eng. m. neif

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lawrence
My Location
Bristol
satelliteman said:
Further reading, might be of some interest _http://www.satsig.net/spectrum-analyser.htm

thank you satellite man