Interative Services Spec ?

MrG007

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

Many of the channels are now using interactive services... i.e. "Press red".

This then loads a provider specific front end, with a host of other options etc..

My question

Are the interactive services, based on an open specification, to allow broadcasters to develop services, or is it unique to the sky platform at 28E. and hence yet another revenue source for $ky

why I ask this, if the BBC go free to air, are there any other sat recievers that can utalise these services as well as the standard teletext service (which the bbc are regretably moving away from)

Mark.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I think I'm right in saying that the BBC develop all its own interactive services but use the sky platform to deliver them. Their interactive services are also available on cable with Telewest.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
BskyB use OpenTV for its iTV applications. Other broadcaster's can develop their own applications for the platform using OpenTV technologies.

I believe OpenTV is owned by SKY.

I have an OpenTV enabled (whatever that entails) Nokia MM9800 digital reciver.

If I tune to QVC (28.2°E) which has 'attached' iTV functionality - my box doesn't want to know.

Clearly something else is involved other than a simple button press (as is the case with a digibox).

Yet, if I watch the German broadcaster ARD - I can press a button and enter into their iTV application.

Confused? I am. As such, I do not believe that a user watching a BBC channel FTA using a FTA DSAT receiver will be able to access any of their iTV applications.

Have Fun,

Mark.