Interesting mount situation

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I have managed to mount my notebook with Vista, which is connected to a wireless router to the dreambox. I know it is mounted because I can playback movies from it, but when I want to record I always get a "record failed due to inaccessable storage" message.

Anyone got an idea what is going wrong here?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You've probably know all these but..

Can you browse that folder by IP address and shared name (from your PC)? Can you browse the Mount from the Dreambox (I guess you can if you can playback)

Permissions all set correctly and upper/ lower cases all correct in Dreambox configs?

Windows permissions and the Dreambox user all set correctly on your laptop?
(this is where my money is).

Any Dreambox files edited on the PC were done using a Unix compatible editor?

Last chance: drop and recreate the mount.

Or try search: I had the same problem last year although I can't remember the solution.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
You've probably know all these but..
No I didn't - you always learn :p

Can you browse that folder by IP address and shared name (from your PC)?

How do you do this?

Permissions all set correctly and upper/ lower cases all correct in Dreambox configs?

You are talking about the mount menu? I think it is ok otherwise it would not playback. Also, I have no problem recording to my other PC when I mount it.

Windows permissions and the Dreambox user all set correctly on your laptop? (this is where my money is).

I think so as well.
Being Vista I am not sure where to do this. I told the firewall that the IP of the dreambox is permitted, but...

It is probably something simple, just where to find it :confused

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Playing a movie from a folder and writing a movie to a folder are different from a permissions point of view.

A file or folder can have 3 permissions: read, write, execute.

read = r
write = w
execute = x

There also user and group based permissions.

You have a folder called c:\movies.

You create a user called dreambox. You assign this user rwx permissions on that folder (probably rw- will do).

To browse your movies folder, assuming your PC IP address is 10.0.0.2 and it's shared name is movies, in Windows Explorer type

\\10.0.0.2\movies

Try it all with the firewall off as well (especially if it is Zone Alarm).

Have a look in the firewall log and also Windows Event Viewer to see if there's any messages.

also:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...1117-recording-pc-2.html?highlight=permission
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...00s-anyone-got-work.html?highlight=permission

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, I got it to work. I am not sure what it was, probably something silly. I played around with the rights and made sure everything is written exactly (i.e. capital leters etc) and it worked...

Cheerys for all the help!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I had the same problem last year although I can't remember the solution.

And again right now grr! Reflashed with Gemini 3.50, added the mount and get that bloody error message.

No change on the PC and can view recorded movies on the Dreambox but not record.

Arggghhh!

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
doh!

I put the wrong PC folder name in (put movie rather than dreambox).

Sorted now :)