Interesting use for an old dish

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
I found this site where somebody is mirror-coating an old dish to focus the suns rays and burn stuff. Looks like a bit of fun, but probably not much use in england.

http://users.adelphia.net/~4jacksons/solar.htm

I wonder how difficult it would be to put a concave lens in place of the LNB and create a narrow beam of highly focused sunlight. Could such a beam be channeled though optic fibre and directed as desired?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
That's actually very dangerous, coating a dish in silver foil and pointing it at a light source is a good way of finding the focal point (where the bright spot of light is focused sharpest is where the LNB should be) but even doing that by sunlight in the UK can cause permanent eye damage if you shine it into your eye by mistake. As a result people took to doing it at night with a full moon – less light and so less danger of blindness.

Even painting a dish with a gloss or reflective paint, to disguise it, can reflect much more light and heat and cause the LNB cover to melt.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Oh the possibilities of a mirror coated 1.2 M dish with a motor ....one could do interesting things....

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I've found that on a sunny day, I can drive my dish across the sky and keep all the trees at the bottom of my garden pruned perfectly.

I can also boil an egg at 100 yards.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:
I've found that on a sunny day, I can drive my dish across the sky and keep all the trees at the bottom of my garden pruned perfectly.

I can also boil an egg at 100 yards.

Its definitely out of focus then ;)

If you look at the following site

http://solarcooking.org/links.htm

the suns rays can be used to better effect than in 'The Man with the Golden Gun'

Order a cooker and pay online with your Stitch card within the next few minutes, and you get the chance for ten minutes in the sack with Britt Eckland. toke

cog

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven G90, SG2100, Black Ultra
PC: F1A75-V Pro, A8-3870, Ubuntu 11.10, TBS 6981
My Location
North Wiltshire
I once read a science fiction short story about a football match in a country that was a bit too fanatical about the game.

The match program was made from reflective paper. At a signal, the crowd held their programs at the appropriate angle and the referee disappeared.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hmmm, I wonder if that would work on Rob Styles?

I have a feeling that it may just be reflected straight back off his concave head.

Also, no risk of boiling his brain either. He always leaves that in the dressing room, rolled up in his spare socks.

Sorry Mrs Styles, but the postman would have been a far better catch after all.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
cog said:
I once read a science fiction short story about a football match in a country that was a bit too fanatical about the game.

The match program was made from reflective paper. At a signal, the crowd held their programs at the appropriate angle and the referee disappeared.

Try that with Collina, his head would reflect it all :-laugh back and all the players dissapear