interference

willowfarm

Reaction score
I have been using a sky digibox for the last 4 years, in the last few weeks the TV connections via the RF outputs are seeing horizontal lines, yet the Picture on the TV connected via Scart is perfect. An suggestions as to what the problem is. Sky said to select another RF channel and re-tune the TV's but this made no difference. The other problem I have is that one of the the TV's is over 50 meters away and the picture is not as good as the one connected loacllay, so do I need some form of amplifier???

Regards

Willow Farm

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A good way to test if the other TV channels are interfering is to pull the terrestrial aerial input out of the digibox and see if the lines are still there on the remote TV.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Are you getting interference on both RF outputs from the digibox?

If so and you still get the interference when trying Rolf’s suggestion, then it might be a good idea to try the digibox on the TV 50m away (is it in a different room?) or better still on a TV further away.

You don’t need to extend the satellite cable, just connect the digibox up to the TV with coax cable and turn the TV and box on with nothing else plugged in, the digibox menus and ‘searching for listings’ should appear on the TVs digibox channel. If you get interference on the digibox menus with that setup then it is probably a box fault, if you don’t get it then something is causing the interference in the other room.

As for the 50m cable run, if you have reasonable cable with properly done connectors then it shouldn’t really be a problem from the digibox RF output. But a standard TV signal booster amplifier could help, if you do get one then put it immediately after the digibox, not at the TV 50m away, and try it first on its minimum boost and increase it gradually (if it is variable) rather than just set it on a high boost, otherwise you might just introduce another set of problems.

willowfarm

Reaction score
Tried that, but the lines are still there. Just to clarify I have the same tv connected via scart and RF from the digibox, yet the RF has horizontal lines but the scart does not.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Are you saying you've tried pulling out the aerial input and the picture is still lined?