Internet Speeds

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello All

I have 'measured' my connection on the following site :

http://www.numion.com/yourspeed/

and come up with a Throughput of 4677 bps and a Modem Speed of 37 kbps. Ususally its a lot worse than that.

Looking at the chart for the WorldWide Speed of the internet, I seem to be mile4s behind somewhere.

What sort of reading do you get.

BTW I have an Intel V92 HaM Modem. Via a BT Domestic Phone line with Ntlworld.

Regards

W. Hole

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Just tested my connection and its showing-

• Throughput: 48491 Bps
  • Modem speed: 388 kbps

This is with Telewest Blueyonder 512kbps at £24.99 per month.

chris.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just got 127kb/s on the world one, but can sometimes go up to 480 when the sites are quiet. Biggest slow down factor is the privacy control on the browser.

ADSL 576/256

Just gone up to 176kb/s

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Chris has given me an inferiority complex. I'm on Telewest Blueyonder also and my throughput was 34208Bps and a modem speed of 274 kbps. The point about this is that I doubled the speed of the connection 2 days ago from 512 kbps to their 1Mb service. Doesn't look so good on the face of it would you say.

Jimbo :mad:

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, but what Chris doesn't say is that nobody else in Gravesend has got Blueyonder, he has a cable to himself. :)

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I know you guys will be ecstatic when you hear this but I've sorted my 1mb Blueyonder connection and my new speeds are:

throughput 56,738 kbps.

modem speed of 454 kbps.

Jimbo O-Ha

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
modem speed 38kbps
it's clockwork I think

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
just retested
37kpbs
spring's winding down

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thanks to all for the replies.

Especially to 2old, as he and I seem to be the only ones left using ordinary modems.

Not so bad to see my figures are not so far off his.

Kind regards

W.H.

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
w hole, doesnt Ntl offer £15 a mth broadband access?? a cut down version, but still 4x faster than modem and no dialup.
128k download and 64k upload.

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
jimbo, i think 1mb blueyonder is a bit a con, i managed download mp3 files at average 520kbs or about 62secs for a song (not p2p)
i am on the regular speed

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Dragon Fly

Not sure about other NTL offers, but I don't think they have anything other than a 'phone line connection in this area.

One thing I would loose if I changed would be the £15.00 of 'free' telephone calls each month, and as I can claim quite a few of these back on expences, its quite a good arrangement.

Kind regards

W.H.

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Test your UK Broadband internet Speed with this FREE software-

The Broadband Speed Test is a free Windows application which you may download to test your UK based Broadband connection. The test is accurate and concise and will produce a results report which can be used to send to your ISP if you are experiencing problems.

The test differs from other Broadband Speed Testers in that it is completely designed for UK Broadband connections from Telewest Broadband, ntl:, BT Openworld and TELE2 Wireless. The test has the following features:

• Test ping response times to major servers
  • Tests download speeds
  • Tests Cache page-request time
  • Produces Trace Routes
  • Retrieves IPConfig settings

Click Here to download the Broadband tester.

Enjoy
Chris.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Tested a few times Chris and the results were much better with this, had an average of 478kbps and all of the other factors, such as pings were good. I'm always a bit dubious on the site connection speed tests, particularly as they can be affected by browser security settings and lots of external factors.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Normal operation on BT Openworld (including Symantec Norton AV)

Throughput 29012 Bps

Modem Speed 232 kbps

Diabling AV gives
23601Bps and 189 kbps

Must be the Scotch, great site though, thanks WHole. Will try Test 28 tomorrow when Ive recovered

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Also try the little program that Chris has attached CH, I found it quite interesting.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
@dragonfly....I take your point on the 1mb connection but I have found such variation at different times of the day/night that sometimes it's great and others just ordinary. I have nigh on doubled my speeds on some downloads when weighed against the half meg connection and shown an increase of 20x over a dial-up. I need the fastest connection I can get for work purposes so I was happy to pay the extra £2.50 per week. I went to an average restaurant a week or so ago and £2.50 wouldn't buy me a bottle of Becks so I suppose it's relative.

On your second post, yes, NTL do offer that package you mentioned as a sort of self service set up thingy. Some friends tried it and it was very tricky to configure and NTL were not helpful. In the end they cancelled and got their money back.

Jimbo