internet via satellite...

thedark1

Reaction score
hi people...
just wanted to ask y'all about getting internet via satellite...hacked ofcourse, what plugins and progs do i need? also is there a good faq or guide about this? didnt find any on this site...
thanx...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The best you can do is to intercept datastreams and download a lot of unspecified files, not particularly useful in my opinion though. You cannot as far as I know, obtain a fully working service without subscribing to a provider.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
and its not cheap!!

kungpo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 8082ci, Matrix Reloaded, Aston Cam 1.5, Black ICE. Metronic DisEQC Motor, 80cm Dish, Monoblock LNB.
Dynamite USB, Intel P4 3.0Ghz, Intel Cel 3.06Ghz
My Location
Slough
Well, the equipment isn't cheap, but subsriptions are reaching the levels ADSL was at a couple of years ago.

Tariam seem like a reasonable provider, but sat broadband only worth it if there is no alternative such as ADSL or cable broadband.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
I fancy two way sat internet and phone calls via sat, so that I could get rid of my BT line altogether.
Hopefully in a few years that will be possible for a reasonable monthly charge.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure how bright the future is for internet by satellite, mainly because of the high ping figures, remember everything has to make a very long round trip, also, transponder space is limited and at a premium, hence the high price of services.

In my opinion it will only survive as a last resort service for general surfing, but multicast might well flourish with time.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
in the future when adsl has run its course and the majority have it,then there could possibly be a surge in internet via satellite.big business and im sure the providers will be looking someway to milk more money out of the subscribers with a new and faster satellite connection.as internet via satellite is not that mainstream at the moment the operating costs are too high for most peoples budgets.

Satslut

Dumb Satellite Babe
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500CIP
Force 1145S
Pace 2600
SS2 pci & USB
Channel master 1.8m
1.2m & HH motor
AMD 64 bit, Linux & Windows XP2
My Location
Ibiza, Spain
thedark1 said:
hi people...
just wanted to ask y'all about getting internet via satellite...hacked ofcourse, what plugins and progs do i need? also is there a good faq or guide about this? didnt find any on this site...
thanx...

You'll be better off using 2 empting tins and a piece of string

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Does it not work this way?

You need an ISP that you connect to using landlines (Phone, ISDN) you request a page, it is then sent to your dish via satellite and you receive it on your PC. You don't send the signal from your dish to the satellite.

You therefore require a way of requesting the page/s your require.

I see the future this way - you can order any programme/film/match from a library and it will be sent to your receiver within a give time. The more popular the programme (BigBrother, Soaps) the quick the turn around.
Like PPV but you have more choice.

You could expand the library of programmes and send them overnight to you HDD recorder to watch the next day.

It's my idea S*y and it's dated here so don't steal it!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are two way services, but they are very expensive, as is the equipment.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
check out open sky on 16e then youll get an idea of what sort of cost it would be.bit out of my price range!

Reaction score
Had Satellite Internet for 9 moths or so, although it was better that Dial Up it cost £250 for the hardware and £20 a month subscription (one way) on top of the usual ISP charges. It was very hit and miss on speed although an improvement in standard dial up but it aint a patch on BB, been with Pipex since November and would never go back.

thedark1

Reaction score
ok, thanks for the feedback ppl, so what programs to use for intercepting datastreams? where to get em,and how to use em, any1?