• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Introduction to Asia Broadcast Satellite (ABS-1 75.0 East)

seanlangston

Broadcast Director @ ABS
My Satellite Setup
Operator of the ABS-1 satellite at 75.0 East
My Location
Hong Kong
Dear Forum Members,

I would like to introduce myself. I am the Senior Director of Broadcast Services at Asia Broadcast Satellite, the owner and operator of the ABS-1 satellite at 75.0 East. I have been following some of the message threads about ABS-1 (ex LMI-1) in this forum and would like to open a channel for communications with our company here.

If you have any questions about ABS-1, our services, coverage, power, or channels currently broadcast by our satellite, I will do my best to answer them.

ABS will be exhibiting at the upcoming CommunicAsia 2007 expo in Singapore from June 19 to 22, and at the planned EMEC 2007 in Karachi from July 16 to 17. If you would like to learn more about our company, please drop by and say hello.

Regards,

Sean Langston

dspdsp

My Satellite Setup
DishTV DTH
Zenega 1004s Receiver
90cm offset Sharp dish antenna
My Location
india
Welcome Sean, thank you for joining us.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Berkshire
Welcome Sean, good to see a service carrier taking the time to help our members. :)

Hareesh

My Satellite Setup
Sat:Insat 4 B and NSS 6
Platform:DD Direct+
STB:Eurobox 9700+CI
System:Celeron D 2.8 GHz,Fedora Core 6 and Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.
My Location
Kasaragod,Kerala,South India.
Hi Sean, Hearty Welcome to the forum as many members are discussing about this satellite and its reception in the continent this thread will be helpful to all those interested.

immi22_80

My Satellite Setup
I have 6 feet dish anteena and DTH ku band dish, coship and Kaon receiver. Right now, i'm receving on my six feet dish(yamal201 90E, insant4A 93.5E, and Asiassat3s 105E c and ku band) with the help of Disec SwItch.
My Location
jaipur(Rajasthan, India)
This is a copy of the post from
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...ving-lm1-northern-ku-beam-southern-india.html
This is copied as ABS official/ABS1 members receiving the northern beam can answer.
Hareesh.

Hello sir,

Regarding --------ABS-1 (LMI 1) @ 75E (North beam).

Few days ago, I am able to receive all the channels from both beams i.e north as well as south, but now I am not able to receive any transponder except 12640 V 22000 3/4(i.e. NTV, DTV, RBCTV, Telekanal Domashniy, STS)
The signal strength of this transponder is 5-10% only but earlier it was more than 50 - 55 %.
This problem arises only from 1 month, before that I am able to receive all the transponder from North beam as well as south beam

I confirmed with my friend about this matter and he also says that he also now not able to receive signal from North beam.

My query is that, is the signal strenght of north beam is week or there is any other reason….

I was using all the beams on my Dish Tv dish (60 cm).
My name is Imran, and I am from India (Jaipur, Rajasthan)

Please reply soon. I am waiting for your suggestions……

My Satellite Setup
2.4m, 1.8m Dish with C & Ku LNBs.
My Location
Chennai, India
seanlangston said:
Dear Forum Members,

If you have any questions about ABS-1, our services, coverage, power, or channels currently broadcast by our satellite, I will do my best to answer them.
Thanks for coming into the forum. Is it anyway possible to receive the Ku northern beam of ABS-1 in south India? Till now no one answered to this question. Is there any maps for possible side lobes? When it comes to out of footprint reception some are in sweet spots and others are not so. As you would know more. I am waiting for your reply.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Of course its possible - you just need a big dish!

Please note - side lobes are very much an accidental byproduction of satellite reflector design. It wouldnt help most folks anyway - reception strengths of lobes can vary greatly over a few miles.

From the official footprint it is obvious that it has been designed so that signal strengths of the northern beam fall off rapidly as you go south. The ONLY way to find out what will work is to try different sized dishes at your location and basically test it.

seanlangston

Broadcast Director @ ABS
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hong Kong
Dear All,

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to join the discussion.

------------

Dear lnb15k,

It would be very difficult to receive the Northern Beam of ABS-1 in South India. The EIRP over South India and Sri Lanka is less than 30 dBW, as indicated in our pre-launch RF testing. I'm not sure how much less than 30 dBW, but the actual EIRP is likely very low. You might be able to pick it up using a 9 meter or larger dish, but even then the power levels would not be stable, as it is far from the official EOC.

------------

Dear immi22_80,

Nothing has changed with our Northern Beam transmissions or power levels, so there could be a problem with your downlink setup (perhaps the LNB is not polarized properly). Jaipur is right at the bead edge of the Northern Beam, where the power levels drop off rapidly. Most satellites specifications allow +/- 0.05 degrees N/S & E/W variability in station keeping and a similar variability in beam pointing accuracy. Based on your location, either the station keeping or pointing variability could have a huge effect on your ability to downlink the various carriers on the Northern Beam. There is not much that can be done to make it possible for you to receive Northern Beam transmissions unless you use a much larger dish to ensure plenty of link margin. However, Southern Beam transmissions should be very good in your location.

Sean

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
Welcome on board seanlangston .

My Satellite Setup
2.4m, 1.8m Dish with C & Ku LNBs.
My Location
Chennai, India
seanlangston said:
------------

Dear lnb15k,

It would be very difficult to receive the Northern Beam of ABS-1 in South India. The EIRP over South India and Sri Lanka is less than 30 dBW, as indicated in our pre-launch RF testing. I'm not sure how much less than 30 dBW, but the actual EIRP is likely very low. You might be able to pick it up using a 9 meter or larger dish, but even then the power levels would not be stable, as it is far from the official EOC.

------------

Sean
Thanks for your reply. Why I asked was because in the case of Hotbird many receive that satellite even in Srilanka with a 4m or 5m dish and its foot print is no were near. So any similar thing for this satellite? As you would have measured those side lobes too after the satellite started its operation.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
lnb just which channels/programmes are you interested in - there may be easier ways of getting them

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
What about If 3.990 GHz V .

seanlangston

Broadcast Director @ ABS
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hong Kong
Dear Member91040,

As you are located in India, you may as well give up receiving anything from the "A Beam" of ABS-1. The reason for this is due to the location of our satellite (75.0 East) and its proximity to one of the ISRO slots (74.0 East). Since we are so near to the ISRO slot, we must share the C-band spectrum. ABS is authorized to use the 3.4 to 3.7 GHz range over India; however, we can not transmit on the standard C-band range of 3.7 to 4.2 GHz over India. This is why you see a <18 dBW contour on our A Beam coverage map over India.

A benefit of our proximity to the ISRO slot is that viewers can typically receive signals from ABS-1 and Edusat/Insat 3C on a dish with just one wide-band LNB. This will become more apparent when Insat 4CR is launched and large numbers of viewers start installing dishes to receive the DTH package from that satellite. Depending on the dish alignment and size at those installed locations, viewers may pick up channels from ABS-1 Southern Beam (or Northern Beam in the far North of India) on their receivers.

Sean

My Satellite Setup
Zenaga STB CD1002S, Three solid Ku band Dish. 60Cm,70cm,90cm getting Nss6 95E, Yamal201 90E, ABS1 75E, EuroBird2 26E at 26E. Disec SWITCH
My Location
Amritsar
There are 4 pak chs. they are good for us.
hope more will come and Indian Chs have to come on 75E
as it's at good location for Indian.
and tell me when Ren come on 75E.
;)haha

Attachments

My Satellite Setup
2.4m, 1.8m Dish with C &amp; Ku LNBs.
My Location
Chennai, India
seanlangston said:
Dear Member91040,

As you are located in India, you may as well give up receiving anything from the "A Beam" of ABS-1. The reason for this is due to the location of our satellite (75.0 East) and its proximity to one of the ISRO slots (74.0 East). Since we are so near to the ISRO slot, we must share the C-band spectrum. ABS is authorized to use the 3.4 to 3.7 GHz range over India; however, we can not transmit on the standard C-band range of 3.7 to 4.2 GHz over India. This is why you see a <18 dBW contour on our A Beam coverage map over India.

Sean
I have seen detailed ERWP about this satellite. Are they actual measures from those places or it is just planned ERWP? For Eg.3674 from ABS1 covers Chennai with 38dbW. If I measure it in Chennai would that be excatly 38dbW? Also some transponders are stronger and some are weaker. Why is it so? Does that depend on the uplinking station or what?

member91040

My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, &amp; Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
I think its a weaker Trasnponder.

seanlangston

Broadcast Director @ ABS
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hong Kong
Dear lnb15k,

You can check our website for a representative EIRP footprint of each beam. The site is www.absatellite.net, and there are links to the coverage maps on the homepage.

Every transponder on the satellite has slightly different performance characteristics. This is more pronounced on the C-band payload than on the Ku-band, as the antenna configuration uses two different shaped reflectors for V & H Pol. However, these differences are within the planned specification for EIRP, and the transponder settings are then adjusted to ensure consistent performance.

The uplink station link budget planning would have a much bigger impact on the C/N and Eb/N0 you see for individual carriers on any transponder operating in multiple carrier mode. Allowed uplink and downlink power is carefully controlled depending on the commercial and technical requirements from each customer. If a transponder is operating in single carrier mode (saturated), it is still possible for there to be different link characteristics due to uplink station and transponder settings. Again, this is much more pronounced on the C-band payload than on the Ku-band, as the Ku-band payload has special features intended to minimize effects of different uplinks.

The Southern Beam on ABS-1 has some transponders operating with 90 W of power and some operating with 135W. We can select the power level allocated to each transponder. Typically, we are using the high powered transponders for the DTH-type services (such as the ones you see on Transponder 11S and 13S), and the lower powered transponders are used for VSAT/DSNG services where the receive site dish size can be more easily controlled.

Does this answer your question?

My Satellite Setup
Accessing NSS6 satellite
Having P4 2.8GHz computer
My Location
Sri Lanka
seanlangston said:
ABS will be exhibiting at the upcoming CommunicAsia 2007 expo in Singapore from June 19 to 22, and at the planned EMEC 2007 in Karachi from July 16 to 17. If you would like to learn more about our company, please drop by and say hello.
Sean Langston
Will "CommunicAsia 2007 expo in Singapore from June 19 to 22" available in the south beam? What is the frequency ?

My Satellite Setup
2.4m, 1.8m Dish with C &amp; Ku LNBs.
My Location
Chennai, India
seanlangston said:
Dear lnb15k,

You can check our website for a representative EIRP footprint of each beam. The site is www.absatellite.net, and there are links to the coverage maps on the homepage.

Does this answer your question?
Thanks for the answers. It helped a lot.

So if a particular transponder is much weaker than others then it is mostly likely be because of the uplinking station?

Can you configure a transponder to work on a particular frequency anytime, offcourse within a range?

Can a beam be adjusted? or it is only possible with satellites that have steerable beams?