IPhone unlock and Jailbreak question

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Hi,

I am being given an IPhone 4, but it is locked to another service provider. I know there are many sites devoted to unlocking and Jailbreaking the IPhone, but I wondered if anyone here had any recommendations of sites/software to use so all goes well first time.

Thanks

shane77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin/VU+/AzBoxMe/TM5400 and many more odds and sods
My Location
notts uk
You need to be looking for a piece of software called evasi0n, take a look on Youtube, they usually have links in their description.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
your iPhone needs to be on one of 2 Basebands to be able to jailbreak unlock, as Shane says, look for evasi0n or Redsn0w to do the jailbreak

Goto settings> General > About and look for the firmware version and the modem firmware version (the modem firmware is the baseband), post them both back here with the network the phone is currently locked to and I`ll have a look see if it can be jailbreak unlocked or if not I`ll try and get you a price to get it factory unlocked

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Thanks guys, will post back when I get the phone.

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Didn´t get the phone. Got an Ipad mini instead (new). Can you talk me through this? I see I can use software called Evasion. During my reading it says to back up SHSH keys (some sort of unique identifier) using TinyUmbrella. I have OS 6.1. It says "
Also, be sure that you restore a factory iOS 6.1 firmware before saving your SHSH. As we pointed out earlier, devices that have been upgraded using the OTA update from the device itself will produce different SHSH keys that are not compatible with current downgrading methods." Now I am very new to this so please bear with me. But if I do a factory restore wont it try and restore with 6.1.3?

Thanks

Also is this needed to be done as its a factory load not an ota?

Hixxy1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800/7020Si/7000S, VU+ Duo, Skybox F3 & F5, TM1000D, Skystar 2 DVBdream, Triax TD110, Darkmotor, Inverto Black, Hotbird 13 Zone 2 MK 4, 28.2 Zone 1 MK4
My Location
East Midlands
I bought an iPhone 4 the other day. The seller had restored the phone and ipdated to ios 6.1.3. Without the shsh blobs I couldn't downgrade and even with a tethered jailbreak using whitesn0w it still wouldn't unlock. Luckily found a buyer for it.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
DishDick said:
Didn´t get the phone. Got an Ipad mini instead (new). Can you talk me through this? I see I can use software called Evasion. During my reading it says to back up SHSH keys (some sort of unique identifier) using TinyUmbrella. I have OS 6.1. It says "
Also, be sure that you restore a factory iOS 6.1 firmware before saving your SHSH. As we pointed out earlier, devices that have been upgraded using the OTA update from the device itself will produce different SHSH keys that are not compatible with current downgrading methods." Now I am very new to this so please bear with me. But if I do a factory restore wont it try and restore with 6.1.3?

Thanks

Also is this needed to be done as its a factory load not an ota?
I`ve not had a play with the iPad mini so I don`t really know but I have read that 6.1.3 cannot be jailbroken and the Evasi0n team are waiting for IOS7 before they release anything new so I think you may be stuck until the next major IOS update

This is the first time I`ve heard that an OTA update produces different SHSH blobs than a factory/iTunes upgrade, to be fair I tend to avoid any update unless there is a safe way to recover if anything goes wrong so I`d never take an OTA update

Hixxy1 said:
I bought an iPhone 4 the other day. The seller had restored the phone and ipdated to ios 6.1.3. Without the shsh blobs I couldn't downgrade and even with a tethered jailbreak using whitesn0w it still wouldn't unlock. Luckily found a buyer for it.

With the iPhone 3, 3GS and 4 (maybe even 4s but I`ve not tried it) you can always get back to 4.1, this is no good for any JB unlock though as the baseband changes up with every(other) update and can`t be safely downgraded (the only exception to this is the iPad baseband that works on the 3 and older 3gs models)

You need to download the version 4.1 IOS for the device on a PC or Mac, turning the phone off in the normal way (but leaving it plugged into computer) and puttting it into DFU mode by holding the power and home buttons for 15 seconds then, release the power button but keep holding the home button for another 15 seconds or so, until the computer picks up the phone and iTunes pops up a warning box saying the phone needs recovering

When the iTunes message comes up on the computer, click ok and then holding down the shift key on your keyboard (or command key on mac) and click on restore, choose the 4.1 IOS we downloaded earlier and let iTunes do it`s do

You might have to try it a few times but it does work because for some reason Apple still sign the 4.1 IOS for the 3, 3gs and 4

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Where do you obtain the earlier IOS versions for downgrading?

shane77

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin/VU+/AzBoxMe/TM5400 and many more odds and sods
My Location
notts uk
Take a look on YouTube, videos and in the summaries they usually have links

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
DishDick said:
Where do you obtain the earlier IOS versions for downgrading?
I use this site when I need any IOS firmware

hxxp://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=750

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
I saved the SHSH data. I downloaded the Evasion software and started it, but stopped as I connected to take data from the IPad. Is this software safe? Could they get my personal info off the IPad? Cheers

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
DishDick said:
I saved the SHSH data. I downloaded the Evasion software and started it, but stopped as I connected to take data from the IPad. Is this software safe? Could they get my personal info off the IPad? Cheers
It depends how you define "safe"

If you ask apple they`ll more than likely tell you all kinds of horror stories about people loosing credit card info or being spied on by hackers but as far as I`m aware it`s all tosh

As long as Telnet is not enabled on the device no one can gain access (dont qoute me on that but I`m 99% sure) and Telnet is disabled by default I think

What data did it say it was taking from the device? When using redsn0w, I don`t think that takes any data from the device but it does use a weakness in the IOS to inject a new kernal that gves root access to the filesystem to allow custom mods and so forth

I would have thought it was safe though as there would be literally thousands if not millions of jailbreakers commenting online about it and there would be warnings all over the net

I can`t say 100% that it is safe but if any flaws or issues where found in the software (and they would be because every wannabe jailbreake dev on the net will be reverse engineering the software to try and better it or sell it on for profit) we`d have known about it before now

Just remember, as long as you are not using a custom firmware or a pre-cooked downloaded firmware, and you don`t rely on the jailbreak for any unlocks, you can do an iTunes restore to wipe the jailbreak and return the device back to factory standard (and as long as you don`t mess with the baseband, apple shouldn`t be able to tell it was ever jailbroken

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Thank you for a comprehensive answer. The software didn´t state what info it was requesting.

I am not aware of the buzz on Jailbreaking, but its good to know people have not been reporting problems. The only reason (at the moment) I want a jailbroken device is so I can try apps that will allow airplay (if not then airplay mirroring - though not as good) of any apps (including those that currently restrict airplay or HDMI via lightning. Any apps/tricks you can recommend?

Thanks

DishDick

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gran Canaria
Just to update,

I did the Jailbreak, couldn´t believe how easy it was (obviously down to some great software writing by some clever people).

Downloaded a couple of apps (mostly ones to protect the Ipad and make it more secure on line). I must say that apart from the two apps I wanted there doesn´t seem to be much of use to me (I don´t want hacked Apps - I am happy to pay people for their work), It seems most things are for customising IPhone/IPades etc (Icons, colours , screen savers, button assignments), rather than functional Apps, or am I missing something?

babyma

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
i did that very fast..dont know how to explain
My Location
India
Hi,

I am being given an IPhone 4, but it is locked to another service provider. I know there are many sites devoted to unlocking and Jailbreaking the IPhone, but I wondered if anyone here had any recommendations of sites/software to use so all goes well first time.

Thanks
If so you can get your iPhone 4 unlocked using remote unlocking which doesnt require jailbreak