IR full power off control

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
hi soldering iron fans.

i have an old panasonic TU-SD200 analogue receiver which is still in use on 5W for ye olde analogue french channels. i use it once in a blue moon, and mostly it sits there drawing unecessary power getting fairly hot (i've already repalced the PSU capacitors once to keep it alive), so hot, all its rubber feet have melted and made a sticky mess. when powered off i'd like the whole PSU stage to be put to sleep, and hence LNB off too (as it is its on 100% of the time even in standby). i plan to add a secondary lower power psu just for turn on/turn off via IR and some relay combination. i haven't set to search the web in its deepest darkest parts yet - does anyone know of a simple kit that can power on/off devices via IR, which I can maybe butcher and incorporate into the receiver?

cheers - cts

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I've seen IR controlled socket adapters before. They look like the timers people get that plug into sockets, and lights plug into them (to put lights on and off when people go on holiday) except instead of having a timer they have an IR sensor and a remote control. Perhaps that could be taken to bits and the IR and switching part built into your receiver?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi cts
Maplin do an IR TX/RX that might fit the bill (providing you have room in your receiver).
N95AU - IR TX (£9.99)

N96AU - IR RX (£9.99)

The relay switches only up to 24V so maybe you could add a 240V relay from its contacts.

This could switch the PS off, but of course you will need to maintain a supply to the IR receiver - a simple 240 - 12V (or whatever powers the IR RX) converter wired to the mains in socket.

Llew

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
sounds good, somebody pointed me at a IR remote controlled power socket, as in Polomint's suggestion - this was from Lidl at £15, however that was purcahsed before xmas and I suspect stocks have long dried out. cheers. cts

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
PoloMint said:
They also seem to be RF rather than IR, but I doubt that matters.

Thanks for the links, but I do need IR, since I have a whizzy programmable Sony IR remote which I use to control my 'life' I don't really want an RF based system....

If I could get an equivalent IR system for about £10, that'd do the trick.... I don't need 3 sockets of course, then again the attraction of making my lights remotely controlled is now begining to appeal!

Cheers.

CTS