Iraq

dconolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a PANSAT 2700A and a DISH PRO 500
My Location
IRAQ
I'm a soldier about to head to IRAQ again. I want to know what satellite receiver and what Dish to get. Also, I want to know where to find the keys so we can get TV in this sandbox. I'm familiar with american stuff. Can I use the American DI S H NE T WORK Satellite Dish. or do I have to use another one for the satellites over here?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
dconolly said:
I'm a soldier about to head to IRAQ again. I want to know what satellite receiver and what Dish to get. Also, I want to know where to find the keys so we can get TV in this sandbox. I'm familiar with american stuff. Can I use the American DISH NETWORK Satellite Dish. or do I have to use another one for the satellites over here?

Sorry, One of the forum rules is:

We do not permit discussion of the North American Providers and encryptions

It all depends what do you want to watch.
I suggest that you would ask friends already stationed which satellite system would be best for you and which satellites to point to.
Probably Hot Bird can be received OK.
Another possibility would be to get there, look around for a local solution instead of shipping something that might be useless or you can order what you need if this is permitted.
You can also consider buying a legitimate smartcard (few mates can chip in) so that you can watch uniterrupted service for 12 months instead of looking for keys all the time.

dconolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
IRAQ
Do they sell Strong receivers in the UK? I remember them being used over in Iraq before?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, Strong are still available, but not that popular.

The popular models are those which can be easily patched and for which the patches are readily available.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
if you can get hotbird over in iraq then the best bet is afn if your in the usa army

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Recommend to choose a receiver with a CAM slot (Embedded or CI or both), so that you can insert a smartcard with a legitimate subscription into it.
The cost of the subscription can be divided between you and some of your mates, unless you are going to watch the TV shows alone ?

p

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm gregorian
5way zone2
My Location
Rainham, essex
1st step is what are you after watching?

news
certain channels / programs etc

dconolly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
IRAQ
I want to watch news, music, cartoons, mature content, SPORTS, everything. How much do the smart cards cost. In the States we just punch in a few key codes and we get to see everything. Is thee such a thing here or elsewhere?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
In the States you only have a couple of providers and encryptions, in Europe and the middle East they are in double figures and using several encryptions, many of which are not compromised. Some are of course available by using certain receivers and CAMs, but the list changes frequently.

Do a forum search for Showtime, there is a thread comparing prices.