Irdeto CI CAMs - what's what

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 30-Oct-01 AT 09:31 PM (GMT)]There are several different versions of the Irdeto Common Interface Conditional Accesss Module (CI CAM) that have been produced so far, each with their own nuances as to whether - and how - they can be flashed (flashing is the process of replacing the original firmware in the thing).

A lot of confusion exists around this. People try to flash the wrong types (can lead to irreversible damage to the CAM), or end up buying the wrong types, etc.

Hopefully the details below will clear some of it up.

The 90xxxx part-numbers are found on the back label of the CAMs.
The blue label which sometimes carries a warning is on the front.

900264 - Irdeto I CAM
- Irdeto v0.03 (the 0.03p AllCAM was created by patching this)
- softcell ver. 2.05; compiled 16/Jun/1999
- flashable
- blue label warning: none

900440 - Irdeto I CAM
- Irdeto v0.04 (eg 0.04.6, 0.04.7... corresponding AllCAM "se" versions were made by patching these firmwares
- softcell ver. 2.06; compiled 25/Jun/1999
- flashable

901205 - Euro/Irdeto II CAM (same h/w as aston 104/105)
- Irdeto v01.05
- softcell ver. 2.09; compiled 22/Sep/2000
- one-time flashable
- blue label warning: any and all modifications prohibited and prosecutable

901275 - Euro/Irdeto-II CAM
- Irdeto v01.06 & Alphacrypt v1.00
- softcell ver. 2.09; compiled 12/Oct/2000
- non-flashable without opening CAM
- blue label warning: any and all modifications prohibited and prosecutable

901633 - Euro/Irdeto-II CAM
- Irdeto v0.07B
- softcell ver. 2.06B; compiled 4/july/2001
- non-flashable without opening CAM
- v.small chips v.difficult to solder

All those marked "flashable" can be programmed via a PCMCIA interface or via a SCSI-linked Nokia 9600 running Overflow software.
Those marked "non-flashable without opening the CAM" can be reprogrammed only by removing the EEPROM from the CAM - a tricky process.

The flashable CAMs can be loaded with "AllCAM" (eg 46se/47se) firmware, or FreeCAM/FreeCAM2. But not with Alphacrypt, Astoncrypt, etc. But the FreeCAM2 firmware allows for 3-in-1 cards (DS9/fun3-in-1/etc.) as well as cardless Irdeto emulation. This couples with the fact it is no longer manufactured means it is scarse and very expensive.

With the one-time flashable type (also scarse, since very few were made), after the first flash, the eeprom is effectively locked and needs to be removed for any subsequent flashing.

The EuroCAMs can not be programmed with the actual AllCAMs (46se/etc) nor with FreeCAMs. But they can be programmed with the Euro-compatible firmeware files, including "Alphacrypt" (effectively an AllCAM - i.e. capable of Irdeto AND Betacrypt) and with firmware files of other encryption systems such as Astoncrypt (=seca/mediaguard).

2old

Dave G

Reaction score
2old,

Thanks very much for the list you posted. It was very informative. I bought an Irdeto II CAM hoping to flash it to Alphacrypt but it turned out to be a version with part number 901633 and until I read your post I couldn't find out which version it was. I tried to flash it anyway but as you said in one of your other posts it fails but doesn't damage the CAM.

Feeling adventurous and having looked at the Russian sites on this topic I opened it up to have a look and the flash memory is AMD part number AM29F002NBT. This is a 2Mbit or 256kbyte part but the Eurocam flash files are all 512kbyte. The older Irdeto files for 4.7SE or Freecam2 are 256kbyte. In addition the softcell version of 2.06B would imply a closer relationship to the 900440 version and SCM offer an upgrade to the older CAMs of firmware version 0.07B - the same as this CAM.

Are you sure this is actually a Eurocam and not a development of the earlier CAMs? If I did manage to flash the CAM which image could I put in?

Dave.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I also have doubts about this CAM, for the same kinds of reasons you mention. But the part number is very suggestive. These increase with time. An interesting extra detail is that there is also a new Cryptoworks CAM with part-number 901632 - which I am told by reliable sources is a "Euro" CAM.

And the software compilation date (4July01) is also the newest of all I've seen. So I'm fairly confident this is a "new" CAM, and so would be very surprised if it were a development of one of the older (vulnerable) types.

Anyone else have additional info on this?

2old

Dave G

Reaction score
I've just had another look at the circuit board of the 901633 CAM and compared it to the pictures on the Russian site http://www.geocities.com/revera.geo/CI/ci_1.html (as suggested in another thread).

It is very similar to the old Irdeto CAM. On my circuit board it says "P/N 101264 IRDETOCAMR13 (c) SCM 1999" and on the old Irdeto CAM it says "P/N 190-0086-01 1.2 IRDETOCAMR12 (c) SCM 1999". The layout and chip markings are similar and there is even a chip that says "IRDETO SAS004". It doesn't look anything like the Eurocam picture.

Dave.

B

billy

I have an Irdeto CAM serial number 901633, when I read the details on the CAM in my Nokia 9800s it says its a SE4.7 and 2.06 software. Does this mean it has been flashed? is it an ALLCAM? and can it be flashed to a freecam?

The CAM was provided already in this state,

What files will work with this CAM amd what do I actually have?

Thanks

Billy

Dave G

Reaction score
Interesting - The 4.7SE software is normally a flash update of the 900264 and 900440 versions of the CAM. Unless it has been mis-labelled it would seem as though someone knows how to flash the 901633 version and that it is compatible with the earlier versions. If you could find out the history of the CAM and how it was updated, you could probably update it to Freecam in the same way. Does it show any signs of having been opened? What else does it say on the label? Mine says "901633 Rev 1.1 F/W 0.07B".

Dave.

B

billy

>Interesting - The 4.7SE software is normally a flash update
>of the 900264 and 900440 versions of the CAM. Unless it has
>been mis-labelled it would seem as though someone knows how
>to flash the 901633 version and that it is compatible with
>the earlier versions. If you could find out the history of
>the CAM and how it was updated, you could probably update it
>to Freecam in the same way. Does it show any signs of having
>been opened? What else does it say on the label? Mine says
>"901633 Rev 1.1 F/W 0.07B".
>
>Dave.

Dave,

The CAM labelling is correct, and it has not been opened, the main issues here are the following,

The REV 1.0 F/W 0.07 and very important the manufacture SCM Microsystems. You may recall Microsystems are the manufacure ofthe orignal 900264 & 900440 CAMs

I can comfirm that the cam will flash to a freecam 20.17 and that PW & orf open with out a card. The cookies section is different, I will confirm the setting when I produce my DS9 card

billy

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
when you say you can confirm that this 901633 CAM will flash to a FreeCAM, can you be more explicit. Have you acually done that? If not, on what do you base your confidence?
2old

B

billy

>when you say you can confirm that this 901633 CAM will flash
>to a FreeCAM, can you be more explicit. Have you acually
>done that? If not, on what do you base your confidence?
>2old

Yes I can confirm that I have flashed this CAM to a freecam twice using free_orf.bin and F2-b017.bin using ird106.exe There were no problems in the flash as before using the older CAMs i.e. the last two bars going red.

I have not had chance to use the freecam with any cards yet, and the goddies are different so that my be a problem, do you now what they should be set to.

billy

ps I recieved the card already flashed to SE 4.7

D

DCFC

I too have the following cam:-

901633 - Euro/Irdeto-II CAM
- Irdeto v0.07B
- softcell ver. 2.06B; compiled 4/july/2001

& what my question is, is where do I find a suitable file to use with this card ? I have tried several & the one that "works" the best is the strsh2111.zip file from Phil's site. I say "works" but I don't see any picture, but that is the only file that makes the receiver still try to read the card. All the other files end up with a message saying "insert card" so those files certainly don't agree with the cam.

I did read somewhere on this board & will search again where someone said why do people download files that might not contain the channels & providers they want but just "live with it"..whatever they do download.

I have programmed a card for my embedded SECA cam & I have no problems with that, but am at a loose end as to try to get the correct files onto my card & be read by the Irdeto cam. Should I just stick it out & keep on trying other files ? but hopefully someone could put me on the right tracks & let me take it from there.

Thanks in anticipation :)

DCFC

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
this is all a bit off-topic for this thread, but briefly:
which channels are you expecting to be able to get but can't?
Bear in mind that the providers Prmeiere-World and ATV use betacrypt, not Irdeto, so you need an AllCAM (or FreeCAM) of some description for that. The CAM you have is not one of those - it is an unmodified Irdeto CAM according to the data you provide.
Also bear in mind that some Irdeto providers (eg Nova/Hellas) have recently migrated to the new version of Irdeto, and although the CAM itself is compatible, the encryption system is not hacked (at least, there is no card hack yet in the public domain).

2old

Bthree

Reaction score
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-Dec-01 AT 00:09 AM (GMT)]Hello 2old4this,

Found this on a newsgroup posted by a reputable retailer.

Now in Stock for immediate Despatch
Irdeto Blue CI CAM
P/N 901633
Version 4.7SE
Softcell V 2.06
Compiled Jun25 1999
Fully Reflashable by .bin or .sbr
These are Factory re-manufactured Brand new units

It appears the older 0.04 are being made again as firmware 0.07, it would be interesting to have a look inside one to see what hardware the 901633 part has, actual rebuild of the original or software change to a Euro.

brian53

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
I actually have one of these units and although i'm unwilling to open it i can add that the label says Rev1.1 F/W0.07B. The only other piece of information i can establish from my receiver read out is NEC1-CHIP. Don't know if this helps you guys who are in the know but if it is helpful perhaps someone could post if it is flashable to freecam and with which software.
Many thanks in advance. brian53

Dave G

Reaction score
After further investigation I have been told by a dealer that the 901633 flash memory is protected so it can't be overwritten. They actually open the CAM and replace the memory by a non-protected chip. It can then be flashed in the same way as the old CAMs.

Having already opened my CAM I am tempted to have a go myself. If I do I'll let you know how I get on!

Dave.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Interested to hear how you get on Dave, I don't think I'd be prepared to attempt anything that small and intricate, particularly with the Aprés Noel DTs :}

Might be interesting if you have a digital camera to take some pic's of the interior.

Rolf

verywiseguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
My Location
Malaysia
Hi 2old

I have an Irdeto CAM 901454 Rev 1.0 0.07B. Can I patch the firmware to FreeCAM 2.017? Or is this CAM patchable at all?

Thanx.

VWG

P.S: 901454 is not in your list. It doesn't have the copyright warning.

Dinu

Reaction score
Stupid question! :) Will this cam be patchable to freecam or is there a chance that I will buy this cam and not be able to use DS9 or 5 in 1 on it?? Allso why should I buy a 4.7SE instead of a 4.8SE?

http://xtrasat.co.uk/shop/docs/pd983276876.htm

G

Gentleman

This is quite intresting

Now let me get this right. To make my cam no 901633 flashable all I need to do is remove the chip on which is written AM29F002NBT ? and use the file f2-b017.bin and ird106.exe ??

I have already opened the cam and it seems to me that the only way to take that eeprom out is to cut it out with a pointed plier, but to unsolder it out requires very specialized instruments and can't be done by an amateur.

What would be the name of the zip file to look for and where would I find it?

Gent.

verywiseguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
My Location
Malaysia
It looks like the old spec CAM is making a comeback. Some resellers are selling at price range from £127.65 to £170+. One site mentions:

"These CAMs have Part Number 900440 or 900264 which are technically identical THESE ARE NOT the Newer Iredto II cams nor are they part 901633 this modern CAM can't be used with the common software unless like ours the Hardware has been modified inside the CAM like the ones which are supplied here."

Rgds
VWG

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Here's another way of identifying your CAM if you can at least load it into a receiver and access the menus.

- Read the version which should be as follows:
--- Irdeto Common Interface Ver: 00.xx (for ICHIP CI Module), or
--- Irdeto Common Interface Ver: 01.xx (for Eurochip CI Module)

The type is determined from the first, 2-digit field in the version.

The "Irdeto Common Interface Ver:" is the only version that has any relevance in the download process
It is possible to upgrade the following modules via Laptop PCMCIA:
Ver: 00.03
Ver: 00.04
Ver: 00.05
Ver: 00.06

This information comes from SCM themselves (the manufacturer).
You can also find it, together with other CAM information on http://prgh.freehosting.net

2old