expert ..... in nothing
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
art card
My Location
liverpool uk
basic question
as you know from my rambling posts of late , im having a few problems , so i have decided to get a dreambox (if it does everything this card does) _http://dreambox.sjerom.com
basically do you get everything my pci can ?
ive looked at the dreambox section but i want to read it from pci card users rather than dreambox users

pinkerton

Reaction score
Would have thought this question should be put to dreambox owners in the dreambox forum.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
If you are still having problems with the number of channels from your set up then a Dreambox will not help.

Best advice would be to get the original problem sorted then consider a Dreambox.

Did you manage to check the LNB?

You can pick up a new one on eBay for a few pounds.

The Dreambox is a pretty complex bit of kit and can take a while to master.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Having both is the best solution :D.
The thing is this: If you are watching stuff on a computer screen it is not as nice as watching on a TV screen, especially fast moving objects such as footballs are not nice on a computer screen.

Usually the dreambox can get the same channels as a PC card, but if you are hunting feeds and are on the edge of a footprint, the PC card has a better tuner.

As I said, I got both and do most of the watching on the Dreambox. If I need to I just fire up the PC card...

georgefromasda

expert ..... in nothing
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
art card
My Location
liverpool uk
"Would have thought this question should be put to dreambox owners in the dreambox forum."

Not really as i HAVE a pci card and I am considering a dreambox .

yeah it made no difference :(

Im convinced its my sat card .

its on tv out on my big tv

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
T_G said:
Having both is the best solution :D.
The thing is this: If you are watching stuff on a computer screen it is not as nice as watching on a TV screen, especially fast moving objects such as footballs are not nice on a computer screen.

I take it you have a flat panel monitor on your computer, as I would agree with you in this case. However, if you have a large 21" CRT monitor and a decent video card, then there are no problems with fast moving objects or anything like that.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
_stu_ said:
I take it you have a flat panel monitor on your computer, as I would agree with you in this case. However, if you have a large 21" CRT monitor and a decent video card, then there are no problems with fast moving objects or anything like that.

I got a sony trinitron screen, and a reasonable graphic card. But when the ball is moving fast it is not pleasant to the eye, I think I tend to get a headache after a while. With movies it is not a problem. But in reality watching it on a TV screen is much nicer

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I really don't think that there is any question, in most cases a standalone receiver will win hands down. I have both and prefer watching via the Dreambox on the standard TV, or over the LAN on one of my PCs, the Dreambox has features which the PC card doesn't have and whilst being a little time consuming to set up, once done, can be pretty much left to its own devices, save the odd EMU update.

PC cards are a great budget intro' to the hobby and a useful tool, but I wouldn't want to go back to one on its own.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
A good ss2 with Altdvb and a good codec works like a charm on a computer screen mate, much better than any low res tv!!!! even on footie ;)