is a hex-key to only thing you need ?

Spir4

Reaction score
hi,
i would like to know if the only thing you need to watch decoded programs on your satellite is a hex-key (and afcourse the appropriate hardware and software to program that key onto a card), or do you need a whole fileset ?

thx

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Very much depends on your set up. Many cams and patched receivers allow you to type in a specific key. If they dont and you require a card, then you will need the full files for that card (flash memory + eeprom / OS + eeprom). However these should be readily available from the sites where you would normally get the keys from if you look around a bit.

Spir4

Reaction score
ah okay thx.
i have another question: is it usefull to patch your receiver, and if yes, why ?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Spir4 said:
ah okay thx.
i have another question: is it usefull to patch your receiver, and if yes, why ?
It depends on the type of receiver you have. If it's patchable, you can download software to give you a code menu to allow you to update keys to open various encryption systems.

Llew

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Just to add to what Llew said:

And hence you do not need to buy a cam. Basically it's like having a virtual cam inside your machine, so you get a cheap(free) cam which normally is lightning quick at channel changing.

On the negative side though, they tend to be less up to date than some of main cams, editing all the keys manually can be a pain and it takes up memory in your receiver. So with some receivers it will limit the number of channels you can receive or something like that.

Ar-Ey

Readin, Askin & Learnin
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am using AD-9500 Alfa Box Digital Decoder and Currently I'm in Arabsat.
83cm dish and Universal KU LNB.
My Location
Riyadh-Saudi Arabia
Hi 2 everyone.
Im in Saudi now and im planning to buy a new receiver.
what do i need to look for?
i heard much of starsat here.
i like to get every possible channels that i can.
including encrypted channels.
and also...if ur receiver has only irdeto or viaccess inside..
does it mean that u cant watch any other channel aside
from these two encryption.
my dish is currently aligh at arabsat and i'd
like to align it to hotbird..but i spend all day but i didnt get it. :(
can anyone help me how to easily align it to 13E or 19.2E.
help please.
i've been trying to post here almost everyday and it seems
that they are just reading my post but no answer at all.
any help will be highly appreciated. :)
tnx in advance!

***I am really sorry if im not in the right thread.
Hope someone will answer any of it. tnx a lot again.

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Ar-Ey said:
Hi 2 everyone.
Im in Saudi now and im planning to buy a new receiver.
what do i need to look for?...

Salaam,

Choosing a receiver is not really an easy option, I would just recommend that you choose one with cam (CI) slots so that you are able to use other modules with it.

If your receiver only has irdeto on it then you will only be able to watch irdeto channels with it and a valid card. Which is why you need CI slots so that you can buy new modules that will work with other encryptions and also explorer the various developement modules ie. Dragon/Xcam/Matrix...

As for aligning your dish my most recommended way to do it is to tune your receiver to a working transponder on the satellite you wish to move to (www.lyngsat.com). Make sure that you can see the screen and then swing the dish round, when the signal picks up you will probably have it, though you might pick up a different satellite that uses the same frequency, but its a good way to find something to line up with. A good one to test for hotbird in the middle east is:
11387Mhz Horizontal S/R:27500 FEC:2/3. I know that this is receivable in Bahrain so should definately be in KSA.

Once you have the signal then you can then get your receiver to scan for new channels.

Hopefully that is some help.

Ar-Ey

Readin, Askin & Learnin
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riyadh-Saudi Arabia
damhy said:
Salaam,

If your receiver only has irdeto on it then you will only be able to watch irdeto channels with it and a valid card. Which is why you need CI slots so that you can buy new modules that will work with other encryptions and also explorer the various developement modules ie. Dragon/Xcam/Matrix...

tnx friend. definitely it is!
ok...lets say i will consider buying a receiver with CI (Common Interface Slot). Am i right? So this Dragin/Xcam/Matrix etc..are all of these compatible to any receiver that has CI? I understand that these various cams is for watching various/different ecrypted channels but you mention also that i also need a valid card. Is "Key" a substitute for smartcard? can you explain/tell me more something about this. and also..as i have said b4, im in KSA. Are these cams available here? Lastly... I have an Irdeto cam. Is it dirrerent from Irdeto 2 cam? or does this cam still have a use?

damhy

Reaction score
My Location
Kent
Ar-Ey said:
So this Dragin/Xcam/Matrix etc..are all of these compatible to any receiver that has CI?
In theory any cam should work with any receiver. There some receivers that will not work with certain cams, but normally they will.

Ar-Ey said:
Is "Key" a substitute for smartcard?
As far as I know there are some encryptions that are hacked, this means that you can use them with a valid key, smartcard, or official card. All depends on what channels you want to watch and what is available. Dont forget that the number of channels from hotbird is very limited in the middle east, only those on the super wide beam will work and only those that are in available encryptions.

Ar-Ey said:
Are these cams available here?
I know that they are available in Bahrain, so I expect they are available in KSA also, the people that sell them would probably mainly sell to europeans that live in the middle east. So you'll have to ask about.

Ar-Ey said:
I have an Irdeto cam. Is it dirrerent from Irdeto 2 cam? or does this cam still have a use?
I dont know too much about irdeto, i think that it is used by some dutch channels.

Ar-Ey

Readin, Askin & Learnin
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riyadh-Saudi Arabia
damhy said:
In theory any cam should work with any receiver. There some receivers that will not work with certain cams, but normally they will.

Im planning to buy Starsat SR-X550D.
This has no CI and Smartcard slot but..
It is supposed to get channels that are in irdeto2, viaccess
and some other encryptions. Is this true?
and also...without CI and SM slot, I can never explore all channels.
But can i easily upgrade this or look a valid "Key" so I can watch
those encrypted channels?

In short..is it a good buy or goodbye :)
Maybe you can suggest a good one?