Is Dreambox the solution to my dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sumit Sinha

Hi,

I am from India. And I am a big sport fanatic.

Till this time last year, I was a very satisfied person with whatever I was getting to watch on my cable TV with whatsoever bad reception. Then, I had the urge to but a DTH (Airtel or Tata Sky) so as to watch all the sporting action in high quality. So while doing research for DTH, I landed on some sites on the net and found that they streaming different sports ranging from cricket to football to tennis on channels whose name I hadn't heard ever, and that also without any annoying commercials every 2 mins. I simple felt in love watching my favorite sports on these channels as much I hated to watch them on Indian-commercial-filled channels. I even became paid member on a number of these kinds of sites. But the only downside to this enjoyment was, the channels were not up 24X7 and some of the channels streaming quality were much below than the normal standard. I made up a list of all the major sporting channels from around the world (please refer the attachment) and kept on looking around on the net for that elusive place, but alas there was none to be found. But in the process my mind caught up a word from somewhere, which told me maybe this is the way to those channels, maybe this is the way to my dream - the word was "DREAMBOX".

But yet after doing so much investigation I haven't got a clue to what is the answer to my question.
My question, well it is: is there a way by which I can get at least half, if not all, of the channels which I have listed in my attachment via Dreambox?

The only thing which I know is:
1. FTA-Channels - Using Dreambox I can get all FTA channels. So which of these are FTA?
2. Non-FTA-Channels - What the process for non-FTA channels? Card sharing? Which of the listed channels will I be able to get via CS?

Also I am very curious to know if anyone has ever tried such a thing, I mean such a huge channel list, or am I the only freak here...LOL

Note: As my attachment file format was excel and there was no option to upload an.xls file so I have zipped it. So, simple unzip it to watch the excel spread-sheet.

Cheers,
Sumit

Attachments

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No its not the answwer to your dreams - You have no hope wahtsoever of getting 75% of these channels :D

Even with the most fabulous dish and receiver set up in the world, you can only receive channels broadcasting to the Indian subcontinent and the general surrounding area. So scratch off anything not transmitting toward you - USA / UK / Caribbean / Pacific for starters.

Once you have scaled back your ideas somewhat you are still going to need a subscription to the service(s) you want - DB's are not a magic solution that give you access to all channels for free.

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You stand a better chance with iptv solutions although it will cost you - big bucks if you want the sports channels.

You can get slingboxes hosted in the USA which give you access to the full American Dish Network channels - although last time I looked it was horribly expensive.

S

Sumit Sinha

Analoguesat said:
No its not the answwer to your dreams - You have no hope wahtsoever of getting 75% of these channels :D
LOL...i was hoping to hear that sooner than later :p

Even with the most fabulous dish and receiver set up in the world, you can only receive channels broadcasting to the Indian subcontinent and the general surrounding area. So scratch off anything not transmitting toward you - USA / UK / Caribbean / Pacific for starters.
So, one need the dish to be pointing to the broadcasting satellite (line of sight) in addition to CS or whatever. So channels from other side of the globe. GONE!.
But UK's satellite feeds may reach India. :-ohmy
And what about the remaining channels in the list?
like those from SOUTH AFRICA, PAKISTAN, AUSTRALIA, NZ, MIDLE-EAST and SOUTH-EAST ASIA? Are they also out of bounds?

Once you have scaled back your ideas somewhat you are still going to need a subscription to the service(s) you want - DB's are not a magic solution that give you access to all channels for free.
Yes i read that somewhere. Either need to buy subsciption for the packages which carry them OR do a CS, which is also paid. BUt still money is not an issue, as long as it is not horribly expensive :)

S

Sumit Sinha

Analoguesat said:
You stand a better chance with iptv solutions although it will cost you - big bucks if you want the sports channels.

You can get slingboxes hosted in the USA which give you access to the full American Dish Network channels - although last time I looked it was horribly expensive.
I know nothing regarding an IPTV, although i did my final year engineering project on it..LOL..
Will try reading more about it? BTW, how expensive is it approximately?

S

Sumit Sinha

No its not the answwer to your dreams - You have no hope wahtsoever of getting 75% of these channels
LOL..i was hoping to hear that sooner than later :p

Ok, so one need the satellite to be in line of sight with the dish.
But what about the other channels - africa, Middle-east, and Australia? Doesnt their satellite feeds reach India?
Wont i get them?

Yes i read that, either you need to subscribe to the package provider or do CS, which is also paid. But still money is not an issue, as long as it does not get horribly expensive. :)

Cheers,
Sumit

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sumit Sinha said:
I know nothing regarding an IPTV, although i did my final year engineering project on it..LOL..
Will try reading more about it? BTW, how expensive is it approximately?
Two years ago it was around $100 month for the slingbox hosting PLUS the cost of the package - approximately US$200 for a mid range package. Near enough 9000 rupees a month according to xe.com.

Maybe more for a sports pack. Sites are easy enough to find online.

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sumit Sinha said:
Ok, so one need the satellite to be in line of sight with the dish.
But what about the other channels - africa, Middle-east, and Australia? Doesnt their satellite feeds reach India?
Wont i get them?
No and no - the curvature of the earth gets in the way and many of the satellites are below your western and eastern horizons. Even if the satellite is above your horizon theres no guarantee you can pick the transmissions up - many birds use focussed beams to localise the area of reception

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sumit Sinha said:
Yes i read that, either you need to subscribe to the package provider or do CS, which is also paid. But still money is not an issue, as long as it does not get horribly expensive. :)
Any discussion of commercial (paid for) c/s is strictly forbidden on this forum so no more mentions of this. :)

S

Sumit Sinha

Analoguesat said:
Two years ago it was around $100 month for the slingbox hosting PLUS the cost of the package - approximately US$200 for a mid range package. Near enough 9000 rupees a month according to xe.com.

Maybe more for a sports pack. Sites are easy enough to find online.
Yes the cost is indeed a little on a higher side.
And yes, its easy to find sports streaming online for worldwide popular sports like soccer but not so for other fringe sports like cricket.

well, i did some research and came up with this:
As i live in India, i can get the Indian channels even without card sharing by simple subscribing.
But what i really want is the Sky and Supersport channels
Sky channels are on Sky UK on Astra 2A/2B/2D & Eurobird 1 at 28.2°E which i cannot get by any means in India.
But what about the supersport channels, it seems like MultiChoice South Africa on Intelsat 10 at 68.5°E feeds are receivable in India or has it been blocked/discontinued?

From what i have found out, barring the US/UK/Australia?NZ channels, all the others can be received in India? Yes, of course, some of them are receivable in only some parts of India.

So, please suggest how to get the Sky channels from Sky Uk and supersport channels from MultiChoice South Africa in India?
How about getting a proxy VPN for those countries and buying their package and then watching it online on their online players? will it work? Or please suggest some other way.

S

Sumit Sinha

Analoguesat said:
Any discussion of commercial (paid for) c/s is strictly forbidden on this forum so no more mentions of this. :)
Ok i will keep that in mind next time :p

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sumit Sinha said:
Yes the cost is indeed a little on a higher side.
And yes, its easy to find sports streaming online for worldwide popular sports like soccer but not so for other fringe sports like cricket.

well, i did some research and came up with this:
As i live in India, i can get the Indian channels even without card sharing by simple subscribing.
But what i really want is the Sky and Supersport channels
Sky channels are on Sky UK on Astra 2A/2B/2D & Eurobird 1 at 28.2°E which i cannot get by any means in India.
But what about the supersport channels, it seems like MultiChoice South Africa on Intelsat 10 at 68.5°E feeds are receivable in India or has it been blocked/discontinued?

From what i have found out, barring the US/UK/Australia?NZ channels, all the others can be received in India? Yes, of course, some of them are receivable in only some parts of India.

So, please suggest how to get the Sky channels from Sky Uk and supersport channels from MultiChoice South Africa in India?
How about getting a proxy VPN for those countries and buying their package and then watching it online on their online players? will it work? Or please suggest some other way.
68E Supersports is on the Intelsat 10 C-band global beam so should be available to you with a subscription. That isnt going to be easy to get hold of in India.

As for Sky UK Sports a vpn may work for the player, but I think you will get a shock at the prices again.

Sky sports package is around UK£40/month which is near enough 3000 rupees/month (minimum 1 year contract)

No idea how good the sky player is - I dislike most sports and anyway my slow broadband connection isnt anywhere near good enough for decent streaming here so I never bother with it..

S

Sumit Sinha

68E Supersports is on the Intelsat 10 C-band global beam so should be available to you with a subscription. That isnt going to be easy to get hold of in India.
Well, if it is available then i can think of getting hold of it by some means or the other but i have read on some other forums that Supersport channels have been discontinued on intelsat 10 68E C-band since may-june this year. Don't know whether they are just rumors or truth. Are you aware of anything like that?

As for Sky UK Sports a vpn may work for the player, but I think you will get a shock at the prices again.

Sky sports package is around UK£40/month which is near enough 3000 rupees/month (minimum 1 year contract)

No idea how good the sky player is - I dislike most sports and anyway my slow broadband connection isnt anywhere near good enough for decent streaming here so I never bother with it..
Yeah, VPN proxy price - £12.99 per month for unlimited bandwidth.
+ Subsciption charge - £34.50 per month for sports pack ( for non-sky customers there is no contract - 1 month subscription is available)

So total cost is 3000-3500 INR per month. Hmmmm.. affordable i will say..:p.
But still would have loved to have it via a sat. :)

What do you think a minimum broadband speed should be for watching them on online players? will 2 Mbps suffice?

Cheers,
Sumit

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sumit Sinha said:
Well, if it is available then i can think of getting hold of it by some means or the other but i have read on some other forums that Supersport channels have been discontinued on intelsat 10 68E C-band since may-june this year. Don't know whether they are just rumors or truth. Are you aware of anything like that?

Yeah, VPN proxy price - £12.99 per month for unlimited bandwidth.
+ Subsciption charge - £34.50 per month for sports pack ( for non-sky customers there is no contract - 1 month subscription is available)

So total cost is 3000-3500 INR per month. Hmmmm.. affordable i will say..:p.
But still would have loved to have it via a sat. :)

What do you think a minimum broadband speed should be for watching them on online players? will 2 Mbps suffice?

Cheers,
Sumit
You cant have it via a satellite so stop dreaming about it :D

I have a 1.8 meg broadband and dont find it sufficient for on line streaming for any length of time - the stream keeps buffering and is generally rubbish.

I did see something about supersport being discontinued on C-band off 68E so you may well be correct. They are still listed on Lyngsat & Flysat although it may be that they havent been updated.

If so you are sunk with Supersport via satellite as well. :-rofl2

S

Sumit Sinha

Analoguesat said:
You cant have it via a satellite so stop dreaming about it :D

I have a 1.8 meg broadband and dont find it sufficient for on line streaming for any length of time - the stream keeps buffering and is generally rubbish.

I did see something about supersport being discontinued on C-band off 68E so you may well be correct. They are still listed on Lyngsat & Flysat although it may be that they havent been updated.

If so you are sunk with Supersport via satellite as well. :-rofl2
LOL...i am stuck now...:)

S

Sumit Sinha

Sumit Sinha said:
LOL...i am stuck now...:)
The proxy server guys just mailed me saying that the minimum bandwidth requirement to watch a stream is 500kbps...ROFLMAO...

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
500kbps? Hope you dont want to do anything else at the same time :D

S

Sumit Sinha

Analoguesat said:
500kbps? Hope you dont want to do anything else at the same time :D
Hey,
are you based in India or Scottish borders? :p

Analoguesat

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Scottish Borders 30 miles south of Edinburgh.

Just spotted this on another forum regarding SKy Player:

its worth at least checking on the skyplayer website as they play sample things for you too watch to see if your internet connection is up to it,,,,they recommend at least 2mb download speeds...

S

Sumit Sinha

Analoguesat said:
Scottish Borders 30 miles south of Edinburgh.

Just spotted this on another forum regarding SKy Player:

its worth at least checking on the skyplayer website as they play sample things for you too watch to see if your internet connection is up to it,,,,they recommend at least 2mb download speeds...
True but that is only half the information.
I found this on the official website for sky player under faq:
Sky Player live TV channels are available at 3 quality levels so you can select the one that works best for your current internet connection speed. You only need a 1Mbps internet connection to watch the Low (600Kbps) quality, but we recommend at least a 2Mbps connection to watch at Medium (1200Kbps) or High (1800Kbps) quality. The high setting gives a great viewing experience; you'll hardly notice the difference to the quality on your television.

So, atleast the lowest quality stream is gonna work for me thats for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.