is it worth buying a "non" lcd or plasma tv now?

elniniol999

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none yet!
My Location
edinburgh uk
looking at buying a new tv - wanting to get good value for money really.

is it worth buying a standard widescreen tv now? looking at a 28" sony wega. (£200)

or is that just crazy now? how far away is hdtv from hitting the mainstream? really been put off by the prices of all the new tvs (plasma and lcd). seems so much more than i had ever thought of spending.

any advice?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It'll be several years before there is what could be called significant takeup of HDTV in my opinion, there is a huge percentage of the population, to whom paying more than a couple of hundred pounds for a TV is imponderable and paying an extra £10 per month for the privilege of watching the same stuff, but in HD is £10 too much, particularly as they are probably happy with their exsisting picture quality anyway.

There is no doubt that access to HDTV will become cheaper in the next couple of years, so spending a couple of hundred pounds now on a high quality CRT TV, rather than more than £1,000 for an HDTV equivalent, will be value for money. :)

hoppo

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with widescreen either. You still get the letter box on them so the viewable screen is smaller. Use the zoom facility & the picture is the same (more or less) as the 4:3 tV's. Buy a good 4:3 tv for half the price & go plasma when the price comes down.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Only my opinion but

Have all three types and the best picture is on the CRT.

As for HD - still a long way off before it will be free and the standard.

For picture quality right now stick with a TV that has a tube.

You may struggle to find one - :-doh!

_stu_

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM7025 + 90cm Fibo Dish with Moteck SG2100A mod + Inverto White 0.3dB lnb + 55cm Philips Gregorian + Stab HH-120 + modded BGSat 0.3dB lnb
My Location
Worcs
hoppo said:
I wouldn't bother with widescreen either. You still get the letter box on them so the viewable screen is smaller. Use the zoom facility & the picture is the same (more or less) as the 4:3 tV's. Buy a good 4:3 tv for half the price & go plasma when the price comes down.

That's not always the case, and there are plenty of programmes now that are broadcast in widescreen. Also, on mine I can zoom in on letterboxed films and it fills the whole screen without any noticeable geometric distortion, or cutting off the sides. Much better than on the similiar sized 4:3 telly I had before. Also sport is better in widescreen. Only downside is when braodcasters insist on broadcasting in 4:3, and you get the black bars down the side.

hoppo

Reaction score
Obviously i have a 4:3 tv:D But when i watch a widescreen TV at the bar or a mates the people all look short & fat (maybe i should watch something other than Fiji playing rugby:-rofl2

My mates with widescreen Tv's all wish they had bought a 4:3, because the letterbox is there on most widescreen transmissions if they don't zoom. Why should you have to zoom to watch a 16:9 transmission on a 16:9 screen? Lost on me.
Hoppo

theboss4

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
uk
Hoppo, I dont think your mates and the bar have the tv setup properly.

I have been in numerous bars when they have their sky box etc set to 4:3 and they have widescreen tv's set the 16:9. Yes, they do look fat. because their equipment is set wrong. if they had set the sky box etc up properly in the first place, this would not be the case.

Also, the letterbox is not their on most widescreen broadcasts, its just their equipment is set wrong.

Yes, some broadcasters insist on broadcasting a 4:3 program in 16:9 with bars down the side, but still, if your equipment is set correctly, it will display it in the correct aspect ratio.

It's only foreign broadcasters who still broadcast in letterbox, i guess this is cause the majority of tv's in their respective country are mostly 4:3. And yes, this is when you need to zoom.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
setup wrong indeed..

remember dont just setup 16:9 on the TV... no good if the picture is coming through a Skybox or DVD player in 4:3

if you set your receiver and TV to 16:9, there should be no short fat people with egg shaped heads, or black bars..

its all in the setup :)

as for what TV to buy, it all depends how long you keep your TV?
i have freinds that buy a TV and dont bother getting another until the one they have breaks!!! which could be 15 years!!
i personally change mine about every 4-5 years.

it also depends on what size you want.. CRT only go upto 32" but the picture quality is good... if you want a 42" or bigger then go for a LCD

if you are likely to keep one for a very long time, then buy a LCD HD screen, only buy a CRT if your going to buy in another in 4 years, therefor taking advantage of HD broadcasts then

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Samsung A300W with component output
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
:-cry132 inch LCDs are available for around £600 (Sharp, Acer, etc). Buy an LCD if you can afford otherwise live with what you already have. Spending £200 on CRT is throwing money in the bin, in my opinion.

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hi

I have the same problem. My Philips 32" Wide cost around £2k back in 1997/98 It is begining to look washed out, odd white blob on the top left corner (you can only see it when the pic is 4:3)

I want to make more room in my lounge. I've no idea what to go for. Plasma or LCD! If you go ino any of the usless chain stores, the pic quality on all their tv's is awful. They insist on paying their promo's that use a horrid red. This looks awful (you all know what I mean) Where can you go to see a decent demo of a Plasma/LCD? I want to see what sky sd looks like along with freeview etc.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Go to somewhere like Richer Sounds, they normally have reasonable quality inputs to their display TVs.

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
technomate 6900,,and invacom 0.3 quad lnb
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
thinking about a lcd but pic quality seems to be poor on standard inputs especially football ,hd well thats another thing but not much hd about anyone with any comments please

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
iwol said:
thinking about a lcd but pic quality seems to be poor on standard inputs especially football ,hd well thats another thing but not much hd about anyone with any comments please

Go to nearest retailer and ask them demonstrate any Panasonic LCD (HD Ready) with Freeview. Also you can ask them to demonstrate DVD too.

You will see the difference. I bought a Panasonic and love it!

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
thanks jaffer what model you got and whats the scart input like from your sat rec please especially football

frund

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 1.1 tm 1500ci+ dm patch. Moteck 2100. Intel 4300 based pc . LG7500. 32" lcd
My Location
Wales. UK.
What I've seen of lcd and plasma screens is that they are ok with a very good imput signal but totally crap with less than perfect signal. A crt is far more forgiving and a more realistic picture. I realise that some shops have their displays running on a poor imput but this really shows up the fact that lcd and plasmas have a long way to go. I think, in the near future, the current lcd's will be a thing of the past and obsolete. Not worth the money at the moment.... But I do like their slim profile.

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
iwol said:
thanks jaffer what model you got and whats the scart input like from your sat rec please especially football

It is Panasonic TX32LXD60 with 2 x HDMI , 2 x Scart & Component Video.

I have connected my Samsung A300W Satellite Receiver with component video out. It works great!:)

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
whats it like wth the freview and fast moving objects such as football jaffer any blurring ect cheers

Jaffer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird & Astra2
My Location
South East England
Brilliant!

My suggestion is to visit any outlet and see it with your own eyes. Just watching the London Marathon on BBC1. No blurr at all.

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
cheers jaffa only seen it in comet no pics brill there though its ths or the tosh 32wlt66

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Sony Centres are normally pretty good for demos too.

I love my Sony 4:3 CRT but will upgrade to an HD screen of some sort in the next couple of years.

I only change my telly every 8-10 years, mainly cos I'm a tightwad. If it ain't broke and all that...

I was tempted by the Wega when I bought my 4:3, but it was £700 then!

What a kick-arse picture on them. Nothing came close for me, but just too expensive. £200 sounds very attractive though :)

Oh, and if I go somewhere where people are watching either short fat people or tall thin people, I want to beat them repeatedly with a rolled-up radio times until their eyes bleed. RTFM and setup your TV properly NOW!!!!

:D