is my aston cam faulty?

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
Hi, i have a Pentamedia Pentavision CI sattelite card in my pc. When i put an Irdeto or Viacess card in, i can go into the CAM menus using the software supplied with the Penta CI card. However, when i put my Aston 1.03 in, the software will access the menu for about 1 second, before throwing me out. To re-access for a further second, i have to close the Pentamendia program, and re-start again. But when i take the goldwafer card out of the cam, I can continuosly access the CAMs menu.

I think my cam is faulty, but is there any way of bringing it back to life?

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't think that there is much to change in the CAM menu on a 1.03, are you using a goldwafer file for the 1.03, if its a 1.05 file it will cause problems.

As a matter of interest Aseman, my Pentamedia is stillsat in the cupboard, having failed to get it working with my Freecam, where is the CAM menu in the software?

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
thanks for the reply RolfW. My CAM is defintely faulty, as it doesnt work.

Soory for the confusion about the software. The reason I was using the Pentamedia sofftware, was to check if it recognised the CAM.

I am looking for a motorised receiver (i dont have a disecq motor). Should I get one with a Magic Cam built in, or do i get the CAM seperately. I was looking at the Echostar 3600, but someone told me to go for A Manhattan with a Magic CAM built in, but he didnt know the model number off hand. Any ideas?

Also, is it work the extra to get one with a hard disk?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hello Aseman

I did read a while back that the magic cams in the Manhattens were being 'disturbed' by ECMs. One retailer took the range off their list for a while. I have an Echostar 3000 but if I was buying a rceiver now I'd probably go for one of the Technomates.

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
May i ask what is wrong with the Echostar 3000, as i wanted to buy this model. Also, what is so good about the Techomates and which model would be the one to go for (i dont mind spending money for it, but i dont need one with a hard disk).

Do i still need to buy a magic cam for this one?

I have been out of the satellite scene or about a year and i have a little catching up to do.

Thanks