Is my SlimPS2 dieing?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Ok, over the past few days my PS2 has been playing up, it keeps saying "Please insert a Playstation or Playstation2 format disc", but, I have put in an original PS2 disc... :confused

If I take the disc out, open & shut the lid about 15 times very quickly then pop the disc back in & reset, it works most of the time, but it's a pain in the rear as the last time I tried to get it to work it took 1/2 an hour to actually decide to load GTA: San Andreas!!! :eek:

I'd rather not have to replace anything inside, but instead get another SlimPS2 unit (the big black oldies seem to struggle with GTA:SA), but not a PS3 just yet (too damned expensive!!!), and of course, it's out of warranty... :(

So, any ideas? :confused

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I don't know the equipment myself but it it takes cd roms then try a cd rom cleaning disk which will brush the dust off the reading lens

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Topper said:
I don't know the equipment myself but it it takes cd roms then try a cd rom cleaning disk which will brush the dust off the reading lens

I've tried cleaning (cotton buds much quicker), but it's the same... :(

As for CD-Roms, well, PS2/PS1/X CD-Roms yes, but the cleaning CDs are usually audio CDs with a couple of brushes attatched, which I found to be rubbish and is why I just use cotton buds, even if it requires dissasembly!!! :D

I'm thinking that the laser assembly might be on it's way out... :(

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
I'm thinking that the laser assembly might be on it's way out... :(
But don't bother having a look :p or you may never have that luxury again:cool:

2cvbloke said:
I've tried cleaning (cotton buds much quicker), but it's the same
These lenses are extremely sensitive to minor bumps and bangs as it is, let alone having a cotton bud thrust in its face, no wonder it is objecting;) ;

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
But don't bother having a look :p or you may never have that luxury again:cool:

These lenses are extremely sensitive to minor bumps and bangs as it is, let alone having a cotton bud thrust in its face, no wonder it is objecting;) ;

Don't worry, it's too damned difficult to get into the PS2 (tried to get in 2 years ago to see what makes it tick!!!), so I wouldn't be opening it up to fiddle with the laser... :D

As for the cotton bud, I'm very gentle and spin the tip round whilst carefully moving it round the lens, I did the same to my old stereo (before I dropped it down the stairs!!!) which had a caked up lens, and 10 minutes of careful cleaning and it was fully functional again... :D

But alas, the lens is clear as a whistle but it just keeps messing about when I switch it on... :(
Once it's going it's fine, it's just the initial starting up that it acts up...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Turns out the PS2 is fine, it was my GTA San Andreas disc that was banjaxed!!! It was slightly warped and had a few scratches, so I've bought a new one and hey presto, it works perfectly!!! :D

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
just got a ps3 god its complicated.... if you want to play online games its forever doing updates..its a ps not a bloody pc....stick with the 2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mrminibus said:
just got a ps3 god its complicated.... if you want to play online games its forever doing updates..its a ps not a bloody pc....stick with the 2

I've not even given a thought to getting a PS3, or even an xbox360, so I will be sticking with my PS2 for a fair while yet... :D

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
they are at a bargain price of £10 each at cash generator in Bury x box's too

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
mrminibus said:
they are at a bargain price of £10 each at cash generator in Bury x box's too

Meh, I'm not that fussed... :D