Is my Technomate dead?

flippin_enry

Reaction score
Hi.

I’m having a bit of bother with my Technomate 1500 CI+. It hasn’t been used for a while due to moving house etc etc but I finally got round to putting up the dish and disecq motor at the weekend. I’m pretty sure I’ve eliminated everything other than a dead box but I’d appreciate a second opinion particularly as there is nothing on the net regarding possible causes of death! Hopefully I’ve listed all the relevant stuff below.

• TM shows same signal (24%) and quality (15%) reading on every Sat/TP. The menu system etc works fine
  • TM was last used about 18 months ago with Darkman patch and dish on the ground, pointed at Hotbird and worked perfectly
  • Cables were pretty bad so replaced them all – No change
  • Tried tuning to Astra and connecting to Sky dish – No signal
  • Did a factory reset and updated the patch – No change
  • Got the motor down and connected to the TM with a short patch lead – Motor didn’t respond, worked fine with the Echostar
  • Opened the TM, no obvious signs of shorting on the boards
  • Tried impact engineering!!!
  • Motor, dish and Lnb are working perfectly via USALS with an old Echostar receiver
As I mentioned above, the leads were really shot and I reckon there was a good opportunity for a short to occur at some point and do some internal damage to the TM.

I’m fairly resigned to forking out for another receiver but I wondered if anyone else had any ideas if only to confirm what might have happened as I hate not knowing!

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Your first point says that TM is showing poor quality signal strength on all sats, are you sure your arc scan is correct, i suggest looking at your elevation.

DEEP JOY DAVE

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
my technomate 5500ci can be a pain at aligning in from scrach as the bars show little or no signal but when i go to a channel it opens and shows perfect signal and as for powering the motor sometimes i have to mess with the cable in the back of the receiver to get it to work.
hope this helps

flippin_enry

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies but everything from the box out is fine. As I mentioned, I plug the echostar in and all is well. It seems as though the signal being shown on the TM might be indicating some internal problem as it's identical whichever sat I point the dish at via the Echostar.

Ian

wolfav

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
maybe to much impact engineering:-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Different receivers require different lengths of central core protruding from the f connector, have you tried remaking the connection and checked for possible shorting strands?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Hi Ian,

It does seem to be the receiver have you tried after setting up your dish with the Echostar and then replacing it with the Technomate you should be picking up the same channels.

If nothing check "satellite setup" in the menu and LNB Power is it on.
LNB Type is it Universal.
LNB Freq is it 9.750/10.600
DiSEqC 1.0 is it OFF
DiSEqC 1.1 is it OFF

If all OK go to "Motorized Setting"

Make sure that you are on the correct satellite first.
DiSEqC Motor is it 1.2 if using DiSEqC or USALS if using that.

Try that and see if it helps.

flippin_enry

Reaction score
Thanks for that Rob.

Yes, I'd already been through everything you suggest. Looks like it's the receiver after all. But thanks for confirming that I've exhausted the possibilities. On the positive side, I'll have plenty of spares for the new box.

Ian