Is Skystar 2 worth buying??

R

rickety

I'm thinking of buying a Skystar 2 card but from reading around on this forum it seems that a lot of channels are changing their encryption standards. Would I be able to receive many channels with one of these cards (prefererably football,movies)?

Thanks

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will have exactly the same problem whatever you buy, its a case og you pay your money and take your chance. You won't get a cheaper multiencryption satellite receiver though.

G

gonzo

My Location
UK
a digital satellite reciever supporting all encryptions with HD recording for 50 quid, think about it!!:)

baztheman

baztheman

My Location
Washington Tyne & Wear
I have a 5kystar2 and its spot on!!!!
the only thing i would say is it requires a pentium 3 700mhz to make it work,i am using a p4 2 gigs and its flawless ;-)
the soft cam works spot on!!!! and it records to harddisk with playback just as good as the original picture being recorded.

if you dont need a hard cam and are using a fast pc with a video card that can be linked to your tv set its perfect

otherwise go for a 5kystar1 which you can add a x2 cam port on it (extra cost)and have a video feed out direct to ya tv.
It also has onboard decoding so it wont hammer ya pc system and slow it down.....

hope this helps....baz

M

mitchelr

My Location
Manchester UK
Hi
I have a SS2 ( bought from this forum ) and its working fine on a 866mhz. My original PC was a 500mhz ( Too Slow).I pipe it into my tele from a graphics card with svideo, and yes you can recieve loads of Sport, Movies and ??

Very Pleased with the SS2

Ron

R

rickety

Thanks for your opinions. I bought a Skystar 2 and had it up and running on 1 West. Just my luck that the very next day all of the Conax channels were wiped out !! I'll give my dish a spin to see what I can pick up.

rolfw

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a punt at 30W. :)

R

rickety

What size dish will I need in North East England. I don't have a satellite meter so I usually use an analogue receiver to line up the dish. There only seems to be one analogue channel on this sat and I can't find it. Does anybody know a way to align the dish using digital channels without a meter?

baztheman

baztheman

My Location
Washington Tyne & Wear
Hi rickety
i have a 1 meter and it works spot on here in washington tyne & wear im on 30 west at the moment ,the same happened to me i got a day out of my keyfile and the next day it was us m8

if you get stuck m8 give me a shout m8 or pm me as i have access to a meter (even though i have set my dish without it !)
if you have ya dish on a solid vertical pole u should find the elevation here in the northeast is about 16 degrees (if u were on 1 west and the elevation was about 22 degrees)

I find if you put the channel scan on with the sat your lookin for it will lock on to them if it can see them (thats the best advice i can offer as thats how i found 28,19,13 & sirius on the east and 1,&30 west in the last 3 days )

happy hunting......baz ;-)