Is Skystar 2 worth buying??

rickety

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a Skystar 2 card but from reading around on this forum it seems that a lot of channels are changing their encryption standards. Would I be able to receive many channels with one of these cards (prefererably football,movies)?

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will have exactly the same problem whatever you buy, its a case og you pay your money and take your chance. You won't get a cheaper multiencryption satellite receiver though.

gonzo

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
UK
a digital satellite reciever supporting all encryptions with HD recording for 50 quid, think about it!!:)

baztheman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Washington Tyne & Wear
I have a 5kystar2 and its spot on!!!!
the only thing i would say is it requires a pentium 3 700mhz to make it work,i am using a p4 2 gigs and its flawless ;-)
the soft cam works spot on!!!! and it records to harddisk with playback just as good as the original picture being recorded.

if you dont need a hard cam and are using a fast pc with a video card that can be linked to your tv set its perfect

otherwise go for a 5kystar1 which you can add a x2 cam port on it (extra cost)and have a video feed out direct to ya tv.
It also has onboard decoding so it wont hammer ya pc system and slow it down.....

hope this helps....baz

mitchelr

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Manchester UK
Hi
I have a SS2 ( bought from this forum ) and its working fine on a 866mhz. My original PC was a 500mhz ( Too Slow).I pipe it into my tele from a graphics card with svideo, and yes you can recieve loads of Sport, Movies and ??

Very Pleased with the SS2

Ron

rickety

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks for your opinions. I bought a Skystar 2 and had it up and running on 1 West. Just my luck that the very next day all of the Conax channels were wiped out !! I'll give my dish a spin to see what I can pick up.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a punt at 30W. :)

rickety

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What size dish will I need in North East England. I don't have a satellite meter so I usually use an analogue receiver to line up the dish. There only seems to be one analogue channel on this sat and I can't find it. Does anybody know a way to align the dish using digital channels without a meter?

baztheman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Washington Tyne & Wear
Hi rickety
i have a 1 meter and it works spot on here in washington tyne & wear im on 30 west at the moment ,the same happened to me i got a day out of my keyfile and the next day it was us m8

if you get stuck m8 give me a shout m8 or pm me as i have access to a meter (even though i have set my dish without it !)
if you have ya dish on a solid vertical pole u should find the elevation here in the northeast is about 16 degrees (if u were on 1 west and the elevation was about 22 degrees)

I find if you put the channel scan on with the sat your lookin for it will lock on to them if it can see them (thats the best advice i can offer as thats how i found 28,19,13 & sirius on the east and 1,&30 west in the last 3 days )

happy hunting......baz ;-)