Is There Anybody Out There

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
It seems that there are 3 schools of thought when it comes to the question, Are We Alone

School 1….Thinks yes in fact we are alone, created by divine intervention distended to think for ourselves, grow, but for all time to be alone.
To me this school is lead mostly by the various churches, religious leaders, and over zealous bible bashers. And has in my mind no credible answers to put forward.

School 2…..Thinks no we are not alone, but we will never meet any other intelligent live from other planets. Their reasons for this stance is the distances involved are too immense to overcome so that their area of space will never overlap with ours. Or that maybe there was an advanced civilisation nearby who died out or have blown themselves up. Or that, by the time someone detects our broadcasts and answers us back we will have blown ourselves up.
We could add to this School the ones who while sing from the School 2 hymen book, secretly believe that in time we will meet someone out there.

School 3….. Say that life abounds in universe and that our near neighbours have, if you like placed us in quarantine. Stray incoming broadcasts are suppressed, traffic kept out of range of out detectors. All of will carry on until they deem us fit to join the club.

While all of these Schools have holes in their dogma, 2&3 put up good arguments to back up their believes, and School 1 relies on the fact that 2&3 can show no proof as to other life out there. School 1 in fact scorned every new idea from placing the sun at the centre of the solar system to Darwin’s life work. All has been push aside by this School with equal disdain.

So what School would you enrol in.? and why?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Afraid I don't fit into any of those Shools of thought Razor, certainly not number one, the more extreme members of which still preach creationist theory, even in the light of present irrefutable scientific knowledge.

I guess that I could make a loose alliance with either or both of the remaining schools, but would probably start a fourth, I'm simply not sure. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
School 2 hymen book

If only we had been issued those at my school

Sigh

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Channel Hopper said:
School 2 hymen book
If only we had been issued those at my school
Sigh
I believe the girls were. :)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
We all know that my spelling is bad, but not that bad. Maybe I just can't type, anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Statistically speaking, it seems unlikely that we're the only form of (intelligent?) life in the universe. There are billions of galaxies, each containing billions of stars, so the chances of there being at least one planet somewhere, with carbon-based life as we know it, are fairly high. And what about non-carbon based life? There is a school of thought that maintains that silicon-based life forms are possible, thought he metabolic processes would obviously be completely different.

I'm with Rolf on the matter of religious zealots and creationists. They're dangerous loonies, in my opinion.

What's a hymen? Or have I had too sheltered a life?

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
There is a case to put forward for life to be based on other elements and that next to carbon, silicone would be the most obvious choice. This school will get no arguments from me.

As for my spelling or bad typing ,when I **** up I do it big time. And CH and jimbo are always first to kick me when I’m down.

A HYMEN is the bit your Wife might lose on your wedding night, if she is a nice Catholic girl.

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Don't worry about it. I've still got the bruises from CH. Jimbo hasn't caught me out yet.

As for hymen, you've explained my ignorance. Maybe my life hasn't been sheltered enough.

clarence

Reaction score
I was a "there must be other life out there" bandwagonist but now I am not so sure, It seems that the more us humans look at it objectivly, the less likely it is. Aliens and such are often tied up with romantic or even pseudo religeous thought patterns. When you really really do the sums our planet is in the freak catagory. to give eg, the close orbiting moon keeps the seasonal wobble essential for sustained life. The reason the moon is so close is because a planet ploughed into earth x billion years ago, creating the moon. Also our sun is incredibly stable, some say uncharactoristically stable. The stability of any planet to enable gradual evolution to the point that we are now would have to be very rare. Evolution does not naturally progress to intelligence, freak circumstance permits evolution to abandon simplicity and select for smarter brains. They say that our brains may have evolved to these great heights due to females selecting partners who were cleverer and funnier. Beings capable of building transmitters or spaceships must be intellegent and have limbs and hands capable of constructing these things. A dolphin may be smart but it can not complete a rubics cube. We humans are incredibally smart, unique and lucky to have advanced to this stage. I reckon the human brain is pushing the universal prabability to the limits, and it humbles me to posess one. There are countless other fortuitous reasons our planet is in the freak catagory, techtonic plate activity, water concentrations, carbon, mineral levels, proximity to the sun, jupiters asteroid sucking ability ect. So how come we are here? Fek, doogle has about as much hope as answering that as anyone. All I can say is that the universe is so huge that we fit into that amazingly improbable catagory. or there are infinate universes and in that case the probability of us is 100%

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
What you say is true clarence, that the human brain is marvellous thing.
And some brains are better that others, mine must have been slightly used when I got it. For instance just look along side of this page, at all the nice moving avatars, and then look at mine. It was supposed to revolve at 6 revolutions per minute, but for some reason I can not fathom, it never budged. Not once?

clarence

Reaction score
Hi Razor, yes,my brain dont function properly most of the time, [except when i'm a bit drunk] , I reckon admitting faults and the ability to laugh at yourself are signs of real intellegence.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Beermat technology is how man has evolved, so the beermat must be at the root of all intelligence on this planet. Without this piece of card, man would still be banging bones against skulls and looking at matt black obelisks

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
2001...... Great in it's day.

Bit dated now, but Hal, that's another story.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
My dad took me to see it when I was five so that probably explains it

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, I remember going to see it at Cinerama in London, aged 16, I went with my Dad and two younger brothers, magnificent spectacle, even if slightly off topic. :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
rolfw said:
LOL, I remember going to see it at Cinerama in London, aged 16, I went with my Dad and two younger brothers, magnificent spectacle, even if slightly off topic. :)

More off topicity (is there such a word) then!

I also saw it in Cinerama, in fact somehwere I still have the brochure that that I bought when I saw the film. As I remember it, normally Cinerama use 3 projectors and a hugely curved screen but 2001 was (the first?) to use a new single camera technique.

Ah, happy days.

PaulR

Who's another old f@rt remembering that far back.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Less of the 'old' please

clarence

Reaction score
I think that I made a serious error in posting the theory of women selecting partners who were smarter and funnier, I am a pretty smart and funny sort of dude, but I'm not getting selected,,,,,,at all. that theory is crap.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Women - probably THE greatest mystery of the universe, I dont even try to begin to understand

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Back on topic

Even if we were not alone, the present intelligence of our rulers in the 'civilised ' world, would make sure we would be the last to know.

Dont forget that the laws of the country are designed to keep the minions in place, they are fabricated and perfected to ensure we all stay in line. Im not talking about simple taxes, criminal punishment, civil unrest etc etc, but the whole fabric of regulation - vehicle numberplates, Civil Aviation rules, tests and certificates for the individual for driving/flying.

Imagine the trouble if one of our 'neighbours' dropped in to see us, buzzing Heathrow control tower, landing on the M25 during rush hour, parking up in the fast lane, and then contemplating meeting whoever was the first UK regulatory body to turn up. There would be no rules in place that would clear/control/impound an extraterrestrial vehicle (no number plate, tax disc, details of occupants on the system), no way of dealing with them except as illegal immigrants, certainly little way to check whether they were here for a holiday, on a visit of importance to humankind, or simply wishing to take over the world for its resources.

No its going to be a long time yet before we see anything visiting this planet outside the cinema