66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi m8's I wonder if anyone is aware of this device ..and why it might not be available in the UK ..
The device orrather devices come as a kit and are placed at either end of a coaxial cable..
the devices allow up to a theoretical 270 mb of data trafic ..but in practical situations a good 100mbs is claimed without problems ..
the receiver device can then be hooked up to a network switch and that 100mbs the sub divided if neccessary ..
The units are made by netgear (MCAB1001) and I would love to get my hands on one of these kits ...but can only find them available in the USA..
perhaps ..UK legislation is once again to blame .
Basically ..I already have a coaxial cable running between 2 points ...and would like to use my existing internet service at both locations ..(why pay twice ) .
The same thing could in theory be done with a wireless bridge ...but I prefer closed systems.
rgds
VS

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Sounds like the old token ring network system, that predates Cat5 10/100 stuff, that used coaxial cables, but if it gets speeds like that, it sounds more like cable broadband networking (but obviously not using cable TV networks!!)... :)

Sounds interesting, and sounds much easier than Cat5 networking, a coaxial cable is far easier to wire up... :)

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
..Yes indeed 2CV ...it does indeed operate like the old ethernet coaxial ring network ..
..but the technology appears to have moved on ..
here is a link to a review of the device ..
_http://www.practicallynetworked.com/review.asp?pid=724

rgds

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Nice, I think that might be far more useful in today's media-wired homes, if it can share the coax cables with TV devices (presumably not Satellite cables though?) then it would save a lot of hassle, especially if you have a wifi router at each end for laptops... :)

I think it may not be certified here cos of transmission laws, but we'll see (and you could always sneak the kit over if you wanted to!!!)... :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well I have to say I am not able to spot the benefit of using that system over powerline adaptors. My local garage was concerned that they had no internet services in the main building but they did already have in the showroom. Cabling would have meant digging a channel as overhead was not a possibility even though the buildings were separated by only 15 mtrs but wifi was not the solution they wanted. I got them the powerline adaptors £45.00 off ebay and they can have secure internet on any socket they want in the main building at 200Mb/s.

Of course it is lucky the two buildings were wired on the same phase otherwise it would not have been a solution

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Hi Topper ..
I can see that would be a solution ...but do the powerline adapters have the ability to make transmission secure ?
In my case the coax is already in place and runs between 2 houses...so figured it would be straightforward and provide a closed connection.
The houses in question are terraced and have a common sub station and presumaby common phase ...so barring noise transients ..might work for my situation.
rgds
VS

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I have a pair of powerline adaptors, they're pretty good, at 85Mbps they're fast enough for me, but, if you're using them over power cables that have a lot of electrical interference, then they really aren't that good... :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
I have a pair of powerline adaptors, they're pretty good, at 85Mbps they're fast enough for me, but, if you're using them over power cables that have a lot of electrical interference, then they really aren't that good... :)

I have to disagree there 2CV the later models are far superior and I have used them at home with no ill effects. That is the whole point of the superior filtering to eliminate any noise.

@Vipersan
yes the later 902 models have advanced algorythm encryption see pdf

Attachments

• PowerGrid902_R1.pdf
    287.5 KB · Views: 51

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Coincidentally, I bought a couple of Devolo powerline adaptors today to give me internet access on my PC in my shack up the garden.

I had been using WiFi when I had XP installed, but with Win 7 there's no drivers for the Belkin adaptor.

I have problem though. I can see my router, but can't access the internet. Too late to check out there tonight, but should I set the IPs manually rather than use DHCP? I have a suspicion that it's not setting the default gateway as my router IP, hence no internet. Or something obvious that my tired brain tonight hasn't sussed out...

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Suspect that may be a win7 problem Llew, as would certainly not have expected there to be a problem. They really should be plug and play but for me win7 is completely unknown quantity. If you are able to set up a proxy manually then I would and use the routers internal network address i.e. 192.168.XXX.XXX and port 8080 and see if that works, failing that you may have to poke a hole in the firewall.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Topper said:
I have to disagree there 2CV the later models are far superior and I have used them at home with no ill effects. That is the whole point of the superior filtering to eliminate any noise.

Ah, not sure how old mine are, so I don't know if they have any problems, but this house isn't an electrical nightmare like some houses... :)

They are great though, I can take my plug from upstairs and plug it in anywhere and have wired networking within the house, it does make me wonder though if the signal can get past the leccy meter... :confused

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
2cvbloke said:
.... it does make me wonder though if the signal can get past the leccy meter... :confused

I do hope someone can answer this question ...before I go wasting any money on a pair of these units..
rgds
VS

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Hi m8's ..
this passage borrowed from a website discussion I found...
>>
If you live in a street, your house and your immediate neighbours are plumbed into adjacent phases of the mains; and there's no way that any frequency higher than a few hundred Hz is going to get through the thwacking great three-phase transformer in the sub-station. Somebody three doors down possibly could see your network; but electricity meters are inductive and block out high frequencies. Mechanical ones because they have to be inductive in order to work, and electronic ones because they have to be inductive in order not to be ..... er ..... misled by spurious signals on the wires (imagine the horror if someone's electricity meter were accidentally to clock up credit that hadn't been paid for because someone clicked a piezo lighter next to it).

RF coupling is an unlikely prospect. The houses in any street probably were rewired at different times, so the cables are unlikely to be exactly back-to-back. Then there are at least two layers of brick between any two houses; call it 225mm. In modern houses with cavity walls, it will be more. The live conductor is adjacent to the neutral and earth, which are joined at the meter if you live in a city, and certainly less than 10mm. away. I'd say it ought to make a fairly effective shield.
>>

In this case the user is worried that the signal might 'leak' outside his property..
My worry is that it _wont_ ..
Looks like I'm back to my origional plan ...transmission via coax..
oh ..well
VS

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I suppose I should mention that the adaptors do have password facilities, and will only connect to other adaptors you set them to connect to, so no password, no access... :)

They're not as easy to detect like WiFi networks, so are secure in that respect, and that bumf you posted about the meters would reassure me that the signal is unlikely to escape and find it's way into a neighbouring home... :)

I still like the idea of the coax too though... :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Anyone tried these powerline adaptors in something like a school environment? They would make adding network points around our school much easier if they did work.

The place was cabled up back in 2000 and of course we are finding the network points are in the wrong place in some locations (and its bloody expensive getting extra cables put in.....)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Topper said:
Suspect that may be a win7 problem Llew, as would certainly not have expected there to be a problem. They really should be plug and play but for me win7 is completely unknown quantity. If you are able to set up a proxy manually then I would and use the routers internal network address i.e. 192.168.XXX.XXX and port 8080 and see if that works, failing that you may have to poke a hole in the firewall.

Tried them on my home PC with Win 7 Topper with no problem, although the speed is significantly greater as the units are within a few metres of each other as opposed to about 25M distance between the shack's PC and the router in the house.

Data rate in house - 65 to 85 Mb/s (the maximum for this model)

Data rate house to shack 25 - 35 Mb/s. Firewall/virus checker off.

As I said, no problems connecting to the network when used in either situation, just no internet connection from the shack.

As you suggested, probably need to tweak the PC. Academic now though, as I'm in the process of upgrading my PC's (new motherboard in the shack PC, house PC CPU going in that one and higher spec CPU replacing that one.

Thanks anyway, we'll see if that'll solve the problem.