Is this system any good?

coops

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm after an opinion on this system please.

http://www.brymar.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_LNBs_and_Dishes_5.html

From site:
"80cm dish and Monoblock LNB Channel Master 80cm mesh dish plus monoblock LNB an ideal choice for receiving Astra 1 (19 degrees) and Hotbird (13 degrees) from one dish.
A digital receiver with disecq switching is required for this function (standard in most digital receivers).
Complete with wall bracket"

I want to have access to these two sats at the cheapest price.

Is this system any good? It's only £80.

I already have a skystar 2 card.
coops

satellite eye

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i was in this situation but i found that if you want further satellites you end up buying two dishes, it may be worth considering a motor for your 88cm dish as it is more future proof, the problem with the monoblock type if a section fails the whole unit has to be discarded superstore are a good supplier and will not supply a item which is not suitable.

lee32uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci+ super
Triax 1.1m dish
Diseqc motor
Invacom lnb
My Location
Manchester
@Coops
You may be better going for a solid dish rather than mesh.I think that solid dishes give slightly better results than mesh ones.
I would consider a bigger dish myself as you will undoubtably get bored of just two satellites.I started my system with a 80cm Triax and 2 Lnb's, and i now have a 1.1m Triax dish and motor.

P.S I have a spare 2way diseqc switch (Global communications) and a 6degree bracket that fits a Triax TD dish which you can have m8 if you want it.I dont need them now as i have a motorised dish.

Lee

mickbarlow

Reaction score
Please could someone recommend a dish/lnb combo for recieving hispasat in the northwest of england? I am gonna connect it to a skystar2 card!

Cheers.

billynw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
@ mickbarlow.

The big the dish the better.

You can get a Triax 1.1 m for around £65 & a Invacon 0.3 lnb for about £35.

Just have a look on the net or buy a good sat mag.

billynw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Oh yea,

the nothing much to watch now on Hotbird (13 degrees).

Got motorised it will save you money in the long term.

Also have you guys look at second hand stuff, the loads about on the net & in papers at the moment.

mickbarlow

Reaction score
cheers billynw

Will i need planning permission for the larger dish on the back of the house as i already have a sky minidish on the front.

Behind me is a railway line, if that makes any difference.

thanx

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
mickbarlow,

It is true in general that bigger dish will get you better reception.

You should not require planning permission for putting a reasonable size dish in your back garden, unless:
- it is VERY big and may attract MI6 attention :)
- it will most likely upset your neighbours to the stage that they would complaint.

The max size dish that does not require permission even in the front garden is 90cm.

If all you need is Hispasat 30W, you might be able to get away with this dish size. Can not comment on NW signal strength, but in the SW I get very strong signal with a 88 cm Triax dish, which costs 36 quid

mickbarlow

Reaction score
So if a stick a 90cm dish up, there can be no complaints (even though it would be a 2nd dish)

Does anyone know if 90 is big enough for the NW. The only reason i am goin for hispasat is coz rolfw said there's plenty content, on a previous thread. Main reason being the footy games i cannot already get on sky! and few nature programs now n again obviously :D

coops

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
@lee32uk: Very nice offer, thanks. I'm still not sure what system I will end up with but if I do buy the Triax system I would be interested.

If there is nothing really on 13e, am I better off forgetting 19e and just pointing it at 1w or 30w. My interest is watching football.

Although I would have no way of knowing if I could pick up any west sats if I bought a 88cm. I'm in the South East, Southend way.

I would like to go motorized, but I want the smallest dish I can get away with, as I already have a sky dish up(worried about planning permission issues). Also isn't motorized a lot more expensive? and I don't think the skystar 2 card can power a motor?

Coops

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Coops, not sure whether the Skystar 2 will power a dish, haven't tried and don't know anyone else who has.

@ Mickbarlow, it is technically correct to obtain planning for a second dish, as only one is allowed for under normal circumctances. In real terms, unless a neighbour complains, you will have no problems with two.

ricky321

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
East Midlands
You can move the dish using a Supertrak device before switching on to pc card costs about £30.
13E is becoming a desert for picking up decent channels most gone to Via or Irdeto 2 so we are out of the game on those for now.

boysie

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
@mickbarlow
i live near Leeds and have a 1m dish, i get 75% signal quality on hispa no probs, and it is pointing at a big f*** off tree as well!!O-Ha
so if you have a clear sight at 30'w you should have no probs with a good 88cm

F

F1Mike

What are planning laws on a 1m dish in Scotland, where the dish isn't actually on the house, but is in the ground?

Have a minidish on the front of the house, getting another dish, motorised for a dreambox, going to put it on a pole in the front garden for maximum rotation