Is White Sky Card working on internal reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsimo01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM800 HD - Sky HD Subscription, Technotrend S2-3200 PCI card.
My Location
East Anglia
I've just ordered me a DM800 (genuine with NabilosatBH 0.11) and 320gb Hitachi Travelstar HDD. If all goes well should have them by tomorrow night :).

I've been googling around and have seen some issues regarding the new Sky Cards being burnt out in the internal card reader. Has this issue been resolved with updates to NewCS + CCcam or should I look into getting an external reader?

I'm new to these receivers, although have some experience with linux before and have been using a PC based solution for over a year until they changed the damn cards and my T-Rex cam won't work with the new cards!

Any guidance would be much appreciated.:-worship

Many Thanks,

John

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
---------------------------------------------
--- DM 8000 HD PVR & DM 800 HD ---
Motek SG2100 & Triax 80cm Dual LNB
------ Fixed Dish 28e Quad LNB -------
---- Sly HD Full & 24" Apple iMAC ----
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
People will tell you it works, but it does run damn hot. I highly recommend getting the omnikey 3121 USB reader. I've written a full tutorial on how to install this reader on a dreambox , its in the Dreambox-General section.

andel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800, DM600, Technomate Diseqc Motor, 90cm Dish
Panasonic 42" Plasma 1080p
Pioneer VSX-LX70 Amp
Sky HD
B & W 5.1 Speaker Setup
Popcornhour Media center
Xbox 360
My Location
Watching T.V in the UK
I have exactly the same setup as you and its all working fine. I did have the card runing on the internal reader and although I didnt think it really ran any hotter than in the original sly box I bought an external reader and set it up. Read this thread _http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox-general/157658-how-install-omnikey-reader-dreambox.html
It dosnt even get remotely warm now

Edit:- you posted the same time as me b16mcc!

jsimo01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
_http://www.hidglobal.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=188

Found it, Thought it was best to check, better safe than sorry!

On a seperate note, I've read in a post here about using a linux pc to act as a cardserver, do you have any experience of this (only looking to share over LAN, nothing too naughty) Can the card be kept active this way? this Purely academic at this point though, but I'm using Ubuntu as a mediaserver at present and it would be interesting to know.

Many Thanks,

John

andel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer VSX-LX70 Amp
Sky HD
B & W 5.1 Speaker Setup
Popcornhour Media center
Xbox 360
My Location
Watching T.V in the UK
Well I was going to go down the route of a server but now I have the external reader I'm not going to bother. B16MCC is the guy who has written all the usefull tutorials including the setting up of a server and the external reader to name but a few.
I suggest you read that sticky if your interested in setting up a server there are lots of people here waiting to help....thats what I found anyway:)

_http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox-general/155494-how-setup-linux-pc-card-server.html

jsimo01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
Thanks, I'd been exploring the threads and read through the tutorial. It's always worth thinking about for the future!

Thanks,

John

digsatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vantage Humax Echostar
My Location
UK
jsimo01 said:
I'm new to these receivers, although have some experience with linux before and have been using a PC based solution for over a year until they changed the damn cards and my T-Rex cam won't work with the new cards!

John

I am in the same position with my Trex/Predator no longer working with my valid Sky HD card on my PC. All worked fine with my old "blue" card but it's no go with the new white card.

I would be very interested to hear if all goes well with your DM800 as reading the forums it seems that getting a white sky card to work without glitches/lockups requires a steep learning curve for a linux newbie like myself. Please let us know if it works with all your normal channels as well as nay film/sport/HD channels you subscribe to.

If the intention of Sky was to stop card sharing, it seems they might well have shot themselves in the foot as it seems many people who simply wanted Sky on a PC or satellite receiver with a basic CI card slot are now looking at boxes which open up the world of cardsharing!

andel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pioneer VSX-LX70 Amp
Sky HD
B & W 5.1 Speaker Setup
Popcornhour Media center
Xbox 360
My Location
Watching T.V in the UK
digsatman said:
I would be very interested to hear if all goes well with your DM800 as reading the forums it seems that getting a white sky card to work without glitches/lockups requires a steep learning curve for a linux newbie like myself. Please let us know if it works with all your normal channels as well as nay film/sport/HD channels you subscribe to.

your right it is a steep learning curve but have a look at my join date!!!, I had no satellite or linux experience before that but am now up and running. I'd say if you're a technically capable person then just dive in.

jsimo01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
Have got it working using NabilSat 0.11 with blue sky card (worked straight off), will be trying White card at weekend when I have the time.

One thing I didn't think about, there is no watch one channel while record another...bugger!

Also what is the deal with the EPG, why does it not like programs starting at 0:00, every channel hs listings for 23:00-0:00 & 1:00-2:00 but skips anything at midnight! [EDIT- Seems to have filled in the missing midnight hours overnight ]

Many Thanks,

John

p.s. really impressed so far, a lot smaller than I thought, no bigger than eSATA HDD enclosure, however it gets quite hot - HDD 46deg. - Will be getting a fan!

WildBit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
Hi, sounds like we all have the same problems... I'm running the blu card in a 7020; haven't had any problems, heat or other. I tried the swap procedure with no success so I decided to order HD (what an excuse :-))which I'll use with my 800 (now only a client). Anyway I went and got a smargo and started playing around. After a couple of days I had a working setup (NabBH11).I started with the blue card in the internal reader of the dm800. With cccam 2.1.1+newcs166 everything works great . The card gets HOT! This meant that the white card (once activated on HD box friday) cannot be used in the internal reader, at least that was my conclusion. All efforts went to smargo and finally I got it working, somewhat. It freezes; could be from emm flodding. By the way, I've NEVER felt the blue card ICE COLD like out of the smargo. It's incredible. Anyway, the white card is recognized as 0900, not activated? I will test some more later with the blue card but have to wait until the box is free.

tomthebomb1968

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo 250gig/ DreamElite BH 1.3.2 Multiboot

Dreambox 500s-(clone) / DM-600

Relook 400s 160 Gig-/SifTeam 1.93 e enigma

Foretec 90cm Dish with Nikkai Diseqc Motor- 2 sky+ receivers fixed 28.2 east.
My Location
Newtownabbey, near Belfast, Northern Ireland
The White card works fine in my 800. It does get warm but nor hot. I would recommend the Omnikey readers that B16MCC put us on to. With these there is no noticeable heat at all. Best of all I got 2 for £7 including delivery.

The NewCs/CCcam download from the image server labelled for S_Y Uk works. All you need is to change the ip and listening ports to your own requirements.

anoble66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD
My Location
Ireland
my 963 card is also working fine on my 800hd internal reader, have it clocked at 450mhz and its running warm but not hot

WildBit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-DM800 fixed on 28.2-quad
-DM7020 motorized
-Skystar HD2 motorized
-Cards&Cams&Cas
My Location
Ireland
anoble66 said:
my 963 card is also working fine on my 800hd internal reader, have it clocked at 450mhz and its running warm but not hot

You mean in cccam.cfg you have

SMARTCARD CLOCK FREQUENCY: /dev/sci0 4500000

and running newcs 167RC1
?

Cheers

anoble66

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD
My Location
Ireland
hi - sorry no, I mean its overclocked in NewCS.

imichael

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD
My Location
UK
This is all really interesting stuff and I am going to get one of these readers

Couple of questions

Do you guys think that the white card is getting too hot in the internal reader of a DM800 and that is leading to a potential problem or is there no need to panic?

Once this reader is installed can you still use the internal reader too?

Thanks

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Results seem to differ for different people. The temperature of the card is most likely down to ambient rather than the actual operation of the card. For example a HDD installed in an 800 significantly increases the temp. of the box. The card may well run ok in the internal but I would highly recommend an omnikey as they work so well and so fast with the new 0963 card.
If you install an omnikey you can still use the internal for another card at the same time.

slobex3223

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky ThomsonDDSI4214R
Dreambox 7000 ,Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Spain
Would someone help? I received new white card and need to know what to do in the config of my DM800
I had the old card activated in original SlyHD box and worked fine in DM800,now I am worried that it wont
pair.Please advice step by step.Many thanks.

jsimo01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
East Anglia
I think you need to have it activated in your Sky HD box before using it in the DM800, but once done will work with NewCS 1.67 and CCcam 2.1.11.

B16MCC

Dreambox Gimp & Coder
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 Dreamboxes..........
My Location
/var/tuxbox/config
Guys you need to read the existing threads regarding this issue. It is possible but you have a lot of reading to do. Please use the links provided to see the relevant information. The links below contain everything you need to know and so this thread is closed.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...testing-new-white-sly-uk-card-caid-963-a.html

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...7658-how-install-omnikey-reader-dreambox.html

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...ease-newcs-cccam-config-creator-v0-6-0-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.