Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) has called off all this weekend's Serie A and Serie B games after a policeman was killed at a match on Friday.
Officer Filippo Raciti died as violence flared during the Serie A game between Sicilian rivals Catania and Palermo.

FIGC has also cancelled Italy's friendly with Romania on Wednesday and all matches until a solution is found.

Commissioner Luca Pancalli said: "What we're witnessing has nothing to do with soccer, so Italian soccer is stopping."

He added that the decision to stop the games for the duration of the weekend was not enough, and said there would be more meetings on Monday "to identify those drastic measures that will allow us to restart. Otherwise, we're not restarting the games."

The game was already given an early time slot on Friday because of fears over public safety.

BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6326513.stm

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Looks like others are more than willing to fill the void left by our "retired" hooligans. Very sad that someone has to die for them to take action.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I fear it may spiral out of control (as if it hasn't already). I would encourage UEFA to help FIGC to stop this a improve the stadia, I think bringing in the British police would help, but if we get a Heysel-type incident then a UEFA-competition ban has to be considered.

So, what will Sky Italia (and for that matter Mediaset and La7) do if this carries on for weeks on end with no games? I don't think it willl, but I wonder.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
the stadiums look dated.....its not just italy either.

In england, and especially the premiership... the stadiums are kept up to date and are first class. They are some of the safest in the world, steps taken after the deaths of fans especially at Hillsborough have made this a priority.

i watched an interview last year, were italian footballers were talking about how fantastic the stadiums here were, after they played in a few grounds in the champions league.

if the boot was on the other foot... and we had poor grounds, all teams would be all banned from europe! first bribery and match fixing... now this?? it doesnt reflect well on italian footy does it?